Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zappa Thing Fish

I have a friend whose wife looks like the cover

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    well many folks would agreed with you
    But I don't
    Ike Willis is outstanding on it - as are all of the vocals and the recording overall. It's a wild surrealistic ride, for sure. And not for everyone, though i also enjoy it on it's own terms.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Banned
    Love Zappa, but too much recycling on Thing Fish.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I have a friend whose wife looks like the cover
    LOL

I'm curious as to how OP thinks this album is "misunderstood". I can't imagine someone listening to this and going, "hmmm, I don't get what that was all about". It is as misunderstood as an episode of Family Guy.

I find it pretty amusing, but never really want to listen to it. It's kind of hard to enjoy an album when you don't get the sense that the artist is trying; it feels like a joke on anyone who actually spent money on it
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I'm curious as to how OP thinks this album is "misunderstood". I can't imagine someone listening to this and going, "hmmm, I don't get what that was all about". It is as misunderstood as an episode of Family Guy.

I find it pretty amusing, but never really want to listen to it. It's kind of hard to enjoy an album when you don't get the sense that the artist is trying; it feels like a joke on anyone who actually spent money on it
    I listened to the first 20 minutes or so in the car yesterday, and I found it pretty entertaining, but so far it doesn't seem like something I'd listen to a lot. Too much "comedy" and not enough music. Sort of like listening to a Firesign Theater album, which I used to be able to listen to a lot, but now wouldn't want to so much.

But I intend to finish it because I'd always been curious when reading reviews/descriptions.

It's not an album I listen to a lot, but I will say I find something very appealing about the atmosphere this album gives. It manages to be over the top as well as bleak and sleazy, and its where those cheap synth settings Zappa so loved at the time really come to life. It's not my favorite Zappa album by any means, but it definitely has a feel that you can't find elsewhere in his discography.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Listened to some more of this today. I love the part in Artificial Rhonda where whoever sings something like "She didn't talk back like a real lady might" and you hear the chorus let out that "Ooooh!" sound that I can't describe but is perfect. It's very fucked up but is pretty funny and entertaining. I do sort of think that Zappa must have thought if he voiced out loud or played with certain racist/sexist stereotypes he was somehow showing a greater understanding or awareness than anyone else had, which seems a bit mistaken to me.

I wonder what Frank would make of all the "cultural appropriation" stuff that's in the news these days. For example, pieces about how no one but a Polynesian girl should dress up as Moana for Halloween.

I have around 40 or so Zappa albums, but 'thing fish' isn't one of them. I heard it once at a friends house many years ago and really couldn't get into it. I may have to give it another shot because almost any Frank is worth hearing or having. Man, I'd love to know what he'd have to say about the world we live in today.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I have around 40 or so Zappa albums, but 'thing fish' isn't one of them. I heard it once at a friends house many years ago and really couldn't get into it. I may have to give it another shot because almost any Frank is worth hearing or having. Man, I'd love to know what he'd have to say about the world we live in today.
    He did back in 1981 - its called "Dumb All Over", and again 1988 - its called "When the Lies So Big".

Fucking brilliant if you ask me.

When the lie's so big
    And the fog so thick
    And the facts kept forgotten
    Then the Republican Trick
    (Ketchup is a vegetable!)
    Can be played out again
    People, please tell me when
    We'll be rid of these men!
    - FZ, 1988
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    He did back in 1981 - its called "Dumb All Over", and again 1988 - its called "When the Lies So Big".

Fucking brilliant if you ask me.

When the lie's so big
    And the fog so thick
    And the facts kept forgotten
    Then the Republican Trick
    (Ketchup is a vegetable!)
    Can be played out again
    People, please tell me when
    We'll be rid of these men!
    - FZ, 1988

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I wonder what Frank would make of all the "cultural appropriation" stuff that's in the news these days. For example, pieces about how no one but a Polynesian girl should dress up as Moana for Halloween.
    As a reaction, he'd probably come out on stage in a Moana outfit and play a ukulele solo.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Isn't that what You Are What You Is was kinda about?