Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The "Meet and Greet" Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    When I started this thread it never even crossed my mind that some artists charged admission for these sorts of things...and that people paid them!
    To be fair, I suspect (at least in many cases) it could come from the venues or the bean-counters arranging/sponsoring the tours more than the musicians themselves. I remember seeing a paid meet-and-greet option for the Crimson ProjeKct a couple years back, and I have a hard time imagining any of them even considering it on their own. I think it's just (sadly) becoming more standard for venues to flog premium VIP packages. Actual meetings with the band are just one thing on the list they can include as a perk if they can get the band to agree.

My favorite meet and greets, whether formal or informal, have been with Fish when he has toured the U.S. There were formal meet and greets (all free) set up at bars not far from the venue for his shows on the Sunsets on Empire and 13th Star tours. And, for the Plague of Ghosts tour, my friends and I just happened upon him and the band at a bar near the venue. We had gotten to the venue early so we could be the first online for the general admission show. Instead, we hung out with Fish and the band talking about soccer and The Sopranos and were let in the venue for soundcheck.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

I've never paid for a meet n' greet, or done the VIP package. My one encounter was way back in the day. Three bands were playing that day: Nazareth, Slade, Ian Gillan Band. We were front row/hanging on the stage for the first two acts. We must have pleased Ian with our energy because after his set a roadie plopped down a couple of extra Budweisers and said, "Ian appreciates your support." Slade kicked ass but were deafening. We moved to the back of the barn for Nazareth and the sound was pathetic. So we left the show. Coming around the back of the arena, there was Dave Hill from Slade, sitting on his guitar case and waiting for their road manager, enjoying the summer night. So we spent the next half hour just talking music with Dave. He was delighted that a few of us had their latest album and solicited our reviews all the while Nazareth are thundering inside the hall. The road guy showed up, talked music and frustrations with radio stations with him and then they left to catch a plane. We staggered off to find more teenage mischief, loving our one brush with a real rocker.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Originally Posted by Yves

When I started this thread it never even crossed my mind that some artists charged admission for these sorts of things...and that people paid them!
    I know that in reock circles, there are promotional meetings set up, but it's mostly held for contest purpose, as a part of a package like "see U2 in Koln with one night at the hotel and transport and special meet & greet with Bono & the boys"; generally the whole thing paid by sponsors and you're accvompanied by a DJ of the radio that organised it.

Now I suppose there are pigeons that would actually pay for these M&G events.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've never paid for a meet n' greet, or done the VIP package. My one encounter was way back in the day. Three bands were playing that day: Nazareth, Slade, Ian Gillan Band. We were front row/hanging on the stage for the first two acts. We must have pleased Ian with our energy because after his set a roadie plopped down a couple of extra Budweisers and said, "Ian appreciates your support." Slade kicked ass but were deafening. We moved to the back of the barn for Nazareth and the sound was pathetic. So we left the show. Coming around the back of the arena, there was Dave Hill from Slade, sitting on his guitar case and waiting for their road manager, enjoying the summer night. So we spent the next half hour just talking music with Dave. He was delighted that a few of us had their latest album and solicited our reviews all the while Nazareth are thundering inside the hall. The road guy showed up, talked music and frustrations with radio stations with him and then they left to catch a plane. We staggered off to find more teenage mischief, loving our one brush with a real rocker.

At MDF, I bought the VIP package so I could hang with one person in particular because I thought he might not get to have guests since he was playing two days in a row. But the VIP packages often have better seating or view, so I opted for it.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Suspended
    I was in a local independent bookstore a couple of years ago, and wondered why some of the shelves and tables had been rearranged and why there seemed to be a lot of people milling around at one end of the store. When I asked the attendant, it turned out that Paul Kelly was in the store signing copies of his book "How To Make Gravy".

I had been thinking it might be an interesting read anyway, so I thought "Why not?" and bought my copy and stood in line. As anyone familiar with his songs will know, he is quite an intelligent writer, not the kind of performer you would gush over, but rather someone you could share a few words and a joke with, without it being forced.

There are many musicians whose music I love, but with most of them I have no particular need to get things signed and selfies taken. I wouldn't mind meeting Steven Wilson - I would not embarrass him by asking for an autograph, but I would like to say to him "Thank you for restoring my faith in contemporary music."

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I waited in line with my kids at Disney Line to get our picture taken with Snow White. I asked if she ever felt goofy dressed like that. She said no, but she did on occasion feel dopey.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I waited in line with my kids at Disney Line to get our picture taken with Snow White. I asked if she ever felt goofy dressed like that. She said no, but she did on occasion feel dopey.
    Ba-DA-BOOM!

I met her sister, Egg White. Get the yolk?

While this was before the current Meet & Greet phase..... I attended a Fairport Convention / Jethro Tull Concert in Seattle. I was passing by a side door and there was Dave Pegg ( Bassist ) chatting with a few folks. He disappeared for a few moments then reappeared with his Bass. It apparently was a new custom job and he then passed it around for the Commoners to plink on! At the time, Dave was Bass for BOTH bands. And yet he still made time to chat about all thing Bass in a hallway after the gig. Stand Up Fellow!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Paul Kelly was in the store signing copies of his book "How To Make Gravy".
    You have to make gravy? I thought it comes when you cook the meat.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I'm a vegatarian so I better let the cooks answer that one - but according to the song, it involves the addition of flour, tomato sauce and a little red wine.
    It's also the best Xmas song I've heard in a long time - a nice alternative to Wham! or Slade or friggin' Mariah Carey.

I tend to avoid meet and greets. I got it all out of me at NEARfest. The only exception is when an artist wants to meet me (it's happened). Otherwise, I avoid meeting people as I abhor awkwardness.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I tend to avoid meet and greets. I got it all out of me at NEARfest. The only exception is when an artist wants to meet me (it's happened). Otherwise, I avoid meeting people as I abhor awkwardness.
    If you want musicians to want to meet you, have a sketchbook. Apparently many of them like artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    That's just juice or broth. Gravy takes a couple more steps... sort of like turning a demo into a mixed & mastered recording, I suppose.

Exactly. The drippings from the meat are usually referred to as "au jus". Making gravy involves a thickener like a roux that you add the drippings to, usually by running them through a strainer.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Suspended
    ^^ and so PE morphs into Master Chef.

Exactly. The drippings from the meat are usually referred to as "au jus". Making gravy involves a thickener like a roux that you add the drippings to, usually by running them through a strainer.
    I made bison gravy once....forgot to make a roux first and just added flour.

^^ and so PE morphs into Master Chef.
    You get it all here!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

You get it all here!
    Or in my case, Hell's Kitchen...

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    If you want musicians to want to meet you, have a sketchbook. Apparently many of them like artists.
    The musicians who want to meet me, usually do so because they appreciate my enthusiasm and airplay.

Suspended
    I made bison gravy once....forgot to make a roux first and just added flour.
    First, catch your bison!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    The musicians who want to meet me, usually do so because they appreciate my enthusiasm and airplay.
    Please don't tell me "enthusiasm" is "flashing man boobs"

Please don't tell me "enthusiasm" is "flashing man boobs"
    Haha! "We respond to enthusiasm"

First, catch your bison!