Thread: RIP Gary Quackenbush

RIP Gary Quackenbush

Sad news. Gary Quackenbush, guitarist for the SRC passed recently.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ent...-dies/29129115

RIP. Good player back when.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Loved SRC back in the day, and still have their first 2 albums. Gary was the king of sustaining notes forever.

RIP to a good player indeed!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    RIP. Good player back when.
    I saw SRC play a reunion gig in 2011. Gary could still kick ass on guitar.

A short tale from the olden days. Back in 1970, I contacted Glenn Quackenbush to see if I could check out one of his keyboards. He had no problem with that. I visited SRCs studio, met the band and saw the keyboard (I eventually bought one too). A memorable night. Shortly after I got a call from Glenn to see if I'd like to go and hang with them at a gig they were playing, which turned out to be the Goose Lake Music Festival (Michigan's Woodstock). I had to decline. I wish I could have been there.

Saw SRC in the '60s and was a fan, though I don't have any of their albums anymore and don't remember much except for the guitar's feedback/sustain. Still sorry to hear of Gary's passing. My dad passed away from pulmonary fibrosis 3 and a half months ago, but he was 91; Gary was way too young. R.I.P.

Who in the Hell is SRC?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Rest in peace, Gary Quackenbush
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Who in the Hell is SRC?
    A great 60s psych band from Michigan that you obviously haven't heard (yet?).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Sad! Very good player. I still have their three albums and I'll give them a spin tonight.

Last edited by spacefreak; 06-24-2015 at 03:05 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Sad! Very good player. I still have their three albums and I'll give them a spin tonight.
    I'm so f'ng old I'm not sure, but I think I had Trav Tale back then but for some reason it didn't grab me like the first 2 & I got rid of it. I know I at least heard it and even remember my "meh" reaction at the time.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Who in the Hell is SRC?
    Thank heavens I'm not the only one who never heard of them.

I read the article, and found it rather confusing until I remembereed that there is also a Birmingham in the US. The mention of "The Tremelos" confused me. I gather it's not the same Tremoloes who sang "Silence Is Golden".

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Thank heavens I'm not the only one who never heard of them.

I read the article, and found it rather confusing until I remembereed that there is also a Birmingham in the US. The mention of "The Tremelos" confused me. I gather it's not the same Tremoloes who sang "Silence Is Golden".
    That's Birmingham, Michigan (North of Detroit). It's a different Tremoloes.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm so f'ng old I'm not sure, but I think I had Trav Tale back then but for some reason it didn't grab me like the first 2 & I got rid of it. I know I at least heard it and even remember my "meh" reaction at the time.
    The second is the better i.m.o.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Anyone not familiar with SRC is encouraged to check them out. Great stuff! Rest In Power, Gary.