Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here is still releasing new music?

1. Count me in with those who cannot stop. I love putting music together-song orders-going outside and letting the beauty translate itself into chords and melody.

2. As a commodity, difficult. You have to spend money to make money and I don't have any money, so its hard to get the sound I hear with limited resources. But we press on...

3. Yes, but all I can think about is the music, piecing the music and song orders together in my head. All the time.

4. With our third cd, we joined bandcamp. I like cds for the booklet and packaging. But of course we're always available on iTunes, etc... We just don't have the demand for vinyl.

Yeah, obsession helps.

I'd love to release an album on vinyl - gatefold, with lots of liner notes, so that others can enjoy my music the way I enjoyed progressive rock when I discovered it: with headphones on, poring over the cover and notes. Given the cost, though, it won't be my first release.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
    Yeah, obsession helps.

I'd love to release an album on vinyl - gatefold, with lots of liner notes, so that others can enjoy my music the way I enjoyed progressive rock when I discovered it: with headphones on, poring over the cover and notes. Given the cost, though, it won't be my first release.
    We did just that:

We had 500 copies pressed and about half of them has been sold through mail, at gigs and straight from the door.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well done, Pekka! My hat's off to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
    Well done, Pekka! My hat's off to you.
    mine too!

Thanks! It's still available, 25 euros to Europe and 28 to USA & the rest. Includes vinyl and cd (they aren't available separately). PM me or write at www@riverdogsamson.com

It's also on Spotify, iTunes and some others, more info on downloads here: https://www.recordunion.com/Music/Album/17675

Thanks. I followed your link and am listening to the samples now. I like your sound.

I plan to release my next opus on flexidisc. Now I just need to find someone who can manufacture flexidiscs.

I remember them being on the backs of cereal boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by canardminceblanc View Post
    I plan to release my next opus on flexidisc. Now I just need to find someone who can manufacture flexidiscs.
    I'f you're serious, a Google search turns up several people who still make them! (You're not, are you? )

I'm just finishing up the final mixes for my next release. Hope to get it out there by May.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I'm curious to know if anyone is still planning, or actually producing new music. I'm not talking about for fun, but for actually building a fan base and selling, yes, for money, their own music.

My questions are:

1. why? Why not? This is what I do and have done for most of my life. To stop now would be unrealistic. Mind you, I'm not trying to be 'the next big thing,' just looking to express myself and find people who like what I do.

2. How do [you] see the future of music as a commodity? That's a tough one, as we are in a transition right now—it's all a sliding floor. Music will always be a 'commodity.' The question really is, "Will music be a commodity that can be sold for money in the future, or will it be free and used as a promotional tool?"

3. Do you have second doubts about wether you're being realistic? See my 1st answer. The thing now is to find your niche and work it. Build your own little community. The days of being Eric Clapton or Sting will soon be over…

4. What formats are you going to use? I'm almost all digital now because people anywhere can get my downloads instantly. But I still do produce CDs for those who want them, and because I still quite like to have a physical object—you can't hold a FLAC file and enjoy looking at it.

I'd really like to hear what you are honestly thinking.
    You just did!

what does that mean? I just did? What? release msuci for commercial purposes? Did I miss a memo?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    what does that mean? I just did? What? release msuci for commercial purposes? Did I miss a memo?
    MEMO: Question was asked: I'd really like to hear what you are honestly thinking.

My answer was: You just did! (in reference to my answers inserted within the quoted post in BOLD letters)
    GONGTOPIA
    Ancient Sounds for Modern Times

this thread is going to cost me some money...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

We are, again. Our new album "Station" is released 15th of December, vinyl version sometime next year (as the pressing plnts are overbooked...). Digital releases should drop in soon too.

Here's a link where you can listen to the whole album.
    https://soundcloud.com/riverdog-samson/sets/station

I'll never stop.

New ideas nag at me all day.

My prog/fusion band, Helmet of Gnats are finally back together and writing a fourth studio album.

I also have an acoustic guitar duo that plays covers & originals.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I'll never stop.

My prog/fusion band, Helmet of Gnats are finally back together and writing a fourth studio
    Awesome!
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

I'll never stop.

My prog/fusion band, Helmet of Gnats are finally back together and writing a fourth studio album.

HoG: FUCK YEAH !!!! Great News !!

btw: I'm writing material for my first solo Harp Guitar album.

We are about 1/2 way through writing the sophomore Story Of A Life album. Plan to have it out sometime next year. It's going to be more of a power trio approach this time. I think we got the funk out of our systems for the moment, though you never know what might make the last cut.

I'm working on a side project with a drummer that loves Genesis and Zappa. Sings like Gabriel meets Phil. The trick of this tale is to make some music that isn't derivative of Genesis despite past influences. Though if some creep in, whatever, at least it won't be deliberate. I do some of my best work backing up a vocalist so this should be fun and echo back to my Mindworm days.

A solo cd of acoustic tunes I sing may happen too, I feel like I'm ready at this point. Singing is something I have seriously worked on the past few years.

I'd love to do a metal tinged avant project too were we write some stuff that is just batshit crazy. Where people go "how the hell did they remember all that weird shit and play it so tight?!". That would be fun and scratch an itch that my other interests don't.

I'll never stop.

Fantastic, really great to hear this!!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    Here's a link where you can listen to the whole album.
    https://soundcloud.com/riverdog-samson/sets/station
    Lovely album. I've been listening to it on and off at my desk the past few days.