Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here is still releasing new music?

Posting so this will show up in my subscription list. Keep the tunes coming folks!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

1. why?

Because it's my passion in life and I'd like to make it my livelihood. I think given the right approach it is entirely possible to build a following and make a living via lessons, studio work, and independent releases.

2. How do see the future of music as a commodity?

I think it is a saturated market and it is no longer possible to make a living exclusively from the sales of music as a commodity. This includes live shows, as it is difficult to find a niche with all the options available.

3. Do you have second doubts about wether you're being realistic?

Not really, no. The reason for that is I have seen people do it before and I have faith that if I continue to work at it I'll learn the skills I need it will eventually become possible. Regardless, I'm writing the music anyway. Even if it isn't possible I won't regret writing original pieces of music.

4. What formats are you going to use?

Digital to start followed by physical after a threshold in sales is reached. Mainly CDs after that with a limited vinyl run (10-20 units) for posterity. Check out my Facebook for updates on the upcoming record https://www.facebook.com/stretchhear...?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I'm curious to know if anyone is still planning, or actually producing new music. I'm not talking about for fun, but for actually building a fan base and selling, yes, for money, their own music.

My questions are:

1. why?
    Because I still have a lot of ideas.
    Currently I'm working on a set of more classical orientated compositions, which are supposed to be played either seperatly or in combination, with parts over over eachother. These compositions will also become a part of an orchestral piece.
    At this moment I'm working on 'Erde' (Earth). The other parts will be 'Wasser' (Water) and 'Luft' (Sky, or Air). They are more or less based on a series of painting by 3 German artists (among them Christian von Grumbkow).
    At the same time I'm working on the orchestral piece 'Elements'.
    There are still people creating new music, so why shouldn't I be one of them?
    What is being realistic? I still hope to be able to earn money with my music, but I doubt this will ever be the case.
    Digital only, unless people get really interested. I might be able to produce sheet-music.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Currently I'm working on a set of more classical orientated compositions, which are supposed to be played either seperatly or in combination, with parts over over eachother. These compositions will also become a part of an orchestral piece.
    At this moment I'm working on 'Erde' (Earth). The other parts will be 'Wasser' (Water) and 'Luft' (Sky, or Air). They are more or less based on a series of painting by 3 German artists (among them Christian von Grumbkow).
    At the same time I'm working on the orchestral piece 'Elements'.
    Interesting ideas! Keep us posted!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Finally recorded 'Erde' Earth, a 3 part composition for piano, marimba and bass-synthesizer
    Used 2 different pianosounds from the Arturia Piano V. For the marimba I used the Arturia Modular V3, with a factory preset named Syn Marimba. For the bass-synthesizer, I used a sound I created for the Artura Mini V3.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-804295634/erde

I have already stated 'why' I continue to write, about 4 pages back. I thought I'd just introduce something I wrote last week.

https://soundcloud.com/dean-watson/updown-waltz
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    I have already stated 'why' I continue to write, about 4 pages back. I thought I'd just introduce something I wrote last week.

https://soundcloud.com/dean-watson/updown-waltz
    Nice!! I hear a touch of Mahavishnu in that one. Been spinning Sum of Parts a lot. Anyone who likes this track should check that one out, great instrumental, challenging, yet still totally melodic stuff. Glad you are still releasing new music!

Bill

I did a playthrough video of UpDown Waltz here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aLMwzdOoog

On a whim, I got inspired to write and record a modern (progressive) Surf Guitar tune....I "think" it works ?!?!?

https://soundcloud.com/harold-timms/below-the-surface
    G.A.S -aholic

Just received copies of my new album!

Photo on 10-3-17 at 1.36 PM (1).jpg
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post

Nice! I forgot that one was on my radar. Is CDBaby the best place to get a copy?

I'm curious to know if anyone is still planning, or actually producing new music. I'm not talking about for fun, but for actually building a fan base and selling, yes, for money, their own music.

My questions are:

1. why?

I'd really like to hear what you are honestly thinking.

I self produce and release my own albums generally on a once yearly basis. I have no record deal and have to finance the whole thing myself but I've been a musician for a very long time now and it's what I do naturally so I'm kind of compelled to continue regardless. I guess that's why I do it..

How do I see the future of music as a commodity...? There are still some people out there who will do the right thing by us musos and actually pay us for our work if they like it, but a quick search with the necessary keywords - for example "Kenny Mitchell, Cinematica" (The title of my last album release) will quickly lead one to discover that my music is available not only on all the popular streaming sites as well as on Bandcamp, itunes and Amazon, but also on a number of pirate download sites where it can be obtained completely free of charge and completely outside the realm of my control and generating absolutely no financial reward whatsoever for me. So how does that render my music as a future commodity...? If I'm brutally honest, probably pretty worthless.

Do I have doubts about whether I'm being realistic..? I think we all have doubts now and again about what we're doing as well as doubts about just how good or how crap we are in reality as actual players, but most of us carry on regardless for the love of it in my experience.

What Formats...? I record and produce in Logic and release my albums only in the digital domain because I have neither the cash nor the fan base to viably release on CD. I don't gig because it's all just me on my own but if I ever did find myself in a situation where I was gigging regularly I would probably get a batch of CDs pressed to sell at gigs because I have a mate who gigs for a living with some pretty big names and selling the CDs at gigs works for him. Otherwise I wouldn't bother as it's just not viable as an option in my current situation....

I hope someone finds my comments useful, and....

Anyone interested in what I do can find me here : https://kennymitchell.bandcamp.com
    Last edited by Kenny.Mitchell; 11-01-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Nice! I forgot that one was on my radar. Is CDBaby the best place to get a copy?
    Any chance of CDs via Bandcamp? Sorry if I asked this already.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Any chance of CDs via Bandcamp? Sorry if I asked this already.
    CDs are currently available through Wayside and CDBaby. No plans to sell though Bandcamp at the moment. Thanks for listening!

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...-CD-spc-4.aspx
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Well, i'm delusional I guess
    The Red Masque is currently in the studio working on our fifth studio album. we plan on releasing it digitally(bandcamp etc) and perhaps also as a physical CD (or perhaps as limited edition vinyl). We still have to decide on that. I doubt we'll get the money back we spent in the studio as we went all out on this one and are recording at a really great studio with an amazing engineer. However we are considering seeing if people want to do gofundme to help us create a professional music video (which we have, sadly, never been able to do) to go with the release of the album. I have some ideas on that but we'll have to see what is do-able.

My other new band, Green Cathedral, also did release our debut album in September (both digital and limited physical cds). However, we are new and nobody knows who we are so we expected that release to be mostly used for promo purposes to hopefully garner attention for the band and to help book shows.
    Music
    The Red Masque: www.theredmasque.com
    Green Cathedral: www.green-cathedral.com
    Art
    www.lynnetteshelley.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Masque View Post
    Well, i'm delusional I guess
    The Red Masque is currently in the studio working on our fifth studio album. we plan on releasing it digitally(bandcamp etc) and perhaps also as a physical CD (or perhaps as limited edition vinyl). We still have to decide on that. I doubt we'll get the money back we spent in the studio as we went all out on this one and are recording at a really great studio with an amazing engineer. However we are considering seeing if people want to do gofundme to help us create a professional music video (which we have, sadly, never been able to do) to go with the release of the album. I have some ideas on that but we'll have to see what is do-able.

My other new band, Green Cathedral, also did release our debut album in September (both digital and limited physical cds). However, we are new and nobody knows who we are so we expected that release to be mostly used for promo purposes to hopefully garner attention for the band and to help book shows.
    Nice stuff from Green Cathedral.

thanks Renate
    Music
    The Red Masque: www.theredmasque.com
    Green Cathedral: www.green-cathedral.com
    Art
    www.lynnetteshelley.com

Some of my projects

wildvinesmusic.com
    Wild Vines Music

Still trying to identify this music (updated link):
    Unknown Track

I still make music, but more as a recreational thing, most by habit, and less thinking of it as being my career in the future. I think the future of music is going to continue to screw independent artists over more and more until a huge shift occurs. Will be curious to see how it all plays out.

When I was in my teen years, my dreams were full of being on the big stage, accepting a Grammy, etc., but I find that realistically, I don't need all those things to enjoy music and creativity in my own little space, with my small base of fans. I'm sure that mostly comes from my low-key personality; but the more I learned about the music business behind the scenes, the less I desired to see myself on the front-end of it all.
    -
    Music Marie
    Music PR

My questions are:

1. why?

I'd really like to hear what you are honestly thinking.
    Wow, what a question and how long it's been running!

1. It's about creativity and fulfillment for me. A composition is like a child- you witness the beginning and maturing process whether by yourself or with bandmates. When it's ready for the world, you put it out there. If praise follows, great! Someone out there will usually enjoy what's been created, and if they enjoyed it enough to put down their hard earned money as thanks, it's the highest compliment.

2. Music as a commodity? I can look at what I pay for, and if I can be touched by someone's music, I want to support it. But then, that's thinking like a musician, no?

3. If my expectations aren't high, then I suppose I'm realistic. I am doubting myself as to one thing- should I duplicate (not to mention replicate) CDs or stay within the digital realm. Other than that, I have no doubts

4. Ah yes, for this album, we are doing digital as well as CDs (duplicated), a small run. I have seen sales of another project I was involved with where I produced a few tribute albums and know that music still does sell. But CD sales have been dropping, for now.

I have seen some of you mention this, and I knew it could happen, but I was very surprised at how quickly it did happen, and that is our album being on pirate sites. Man, that was quick! One way to help minimize this might be to let potential downloaders know that they are exposing their computers to being hacked on those sites. Run the sites through scamadvisor.com. They are in countries that don't discourage piracy and might even be sites that collect info, so, buyer, beware!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Creative musicians have to get it out, otherwise they'd get constipated and and die.
    Yep, basically that

1. Why? Because I have to create and music is the way I try to express myself to the world. Music is in effect my children.

2. How do see the future of music as a commodity? Depends how you define music. Right now I think it is a bit dire with most people saying they "luv" music but not giving a whit about anything at all as they stream music on random so they have no real engagement with music as an artform, let alone realizing that if someone gives you enjoyment you should give them reward (as they expet to be rewarded when they go to work).

3. Do you have second doubts about wether you're being realistic? This might just about explain it: https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2018/0...oney-the-muso/

4. What formats are you going to use? I only use Bandcamp as I see streaming as being a total con right now. Bandcamp seems to have become a bit of th eplace to be for people trying to make music as art. I'm not there to be "in the scene" but it is simply the most suited to albums. If you have a buying audience then vinylu seems ot be the thing as kids buy that becasue they feel that it is real music and they are getting something for their coin. Great I guess but seems to be missing the point a bit as the music itself can be delivered digitally (at better quality) for less money (therefore you ccould buy more music for the same coin).

I have been really down for te past few months - regarding the state of creating new music myself. I have begun to put together a one person show that I can take all the songs I have written over the years, and play them live, using backing tracks. I have picked up ableton live and am in the process of recording most of my songs in a format that leaves the main vocals and acoustic guitar/main guitar parts. Playing with them - but in a live setting. Once it is show worthy, I am going to start playing live venues anywhere I can. I have a decent PA, putting together a decent light show, and practicing these songs so I can do 2+ hours of my own music. I think the world is ready for something like this. Playing other peoples music is becoming less and less meaningful - since I dont even know any modern music anymore. But My music over the years does cover several different styles and sounds. No, I wont play "Freebird" or "proud mary" - but I also see no reason to try to "release" new music. As it looks right now, my first set does sound pretty decent even on the first listen. Since DJ's have kind of made it culturally acceptable to have one person on stage, and a whole lot of music coming out - no one should be too offended by me doing this. If it doesnt work out, hey, at least I tried right?

Once I get this all worked out, I also will invite people to come in and play with me - guitarists who can do solos, stuff like that. But doing an entire evening of original music just may give me something to look forward to. I do have someone who does booking, and if I choose my venues carefully, I think I might be able to play once or twice a month - or a quarter... whatever comes my way. The cool thing is, I have become a much better guitarist by doing this.

I plan on billing myself, not necessarily as a musician, but as a singer/songwriter...That I play every instrument the audience is hearing, and have written every song. So far the production is quite a bit better than what you typically hear out of say, a local bar band. It's also quite diverse - some pop, some prog some folk, but it will be all original. But its all set up so I dont have to pay anyone, and I also dont need to be paid myself. It will all fit under one 12x12 tent, and is a snap to set up. I hope to have this up and running by the Christmas season. I May have to violate my no covers policy, and work up a few Christmas tunes as well. Anyway, I dont know if this will work out, but I am having a blast getting this organized. Even if I never do a single gig, it has been worth it. Its getting harder and harder to find decent live entertainment at least here in DFW Texas. There is not much work for musicians any more, so fewer and fewer are doing it. I have tested out some of my songs at an open mike night, which went over pretty well, but they have since cancelled the open mic night - They wouldn;t cough up the 150 bucks to pay the sound guy - he owned the PA. Anyway, I will try to find other open mic nights, but I do have a place that will let me set up and play on a Saturday night, but the show isn't ready for prime time yet.

So rather than release new material, Ive decided to just start playing out and screw the idea of releases. I can tell people the only place they will hear these songs is at a live show.

I have been really down for te past few months - regarding the state of creating new music myself. I have begun to put together a one person show that I can take all the songs I have written over the years, and play them live, using backing tracks. I have picked up ableton live and am in the process of recording most of my songs in a format that leaves the main vocals and acoustic guitar/main guitar parts. Playing with them - but in a live setting. Once it is show worthy, I am going to start playing live venues anywhere I can. I have a decent PA, putting together a decent light show, and practicing these songs so I can do 2+ hours of my own music. I think the world is ready for something like this. Playing other peoples music is becoming less and less meaningful - since I dont even know any modern music anymore. But My music over the years does cover several different styles and sounds. No, I wont play "Freebird" or "proud mary" - but I also see no reason to try to "release" new music. As it looks right now, my first set does sound pretty decent even on the first listen. Since DJ's have kind of made it culturally acceptable to have one person on stage, and a whole lot of music coming out - no one should be too offended by me doing this. If it doesnt work out, hey, at least I tried right?

Once I get this all worked out, I also will invite people to come in and play with me - guitarists who can do solos, stuff like that. But doing an entire evening of original music just may give me something to look forward to. I do have someone who does booking, and if I choose my venues carefully, I think I might be able to play once or twice a month - or a quarter... whatever comes my way. The cool thing is, I have become a much better guitarist by doing this.

I plan on billing myself, not necessarily as a musician, but as a singer/songwriter...That I play every instrument the audience is hearing, and have written every song. So far the production is quite a bit better than what you typically hear out of say, a local bar band. It's also quite diverse - some pop, some prog some folk, but it will be all original. But its all set up so I dont have to pay anyone, and I also dont need to be paid myself. It will all fit under one 12x12 tent, and is a snap to set up. I hope to have this up and running by the Christmas season. I May have to violate my no covers policy, and work up a few Christmas tunes as well. Anyway, I dont know if this will work out, but I am having a blast getting this organized. Even if I never do a single gig, it has been worth it. Its getting harder and harder to find decent live entertainment at least here in DFW Texas. There is not much work for musicians any more, so fewer and fewer are doing it. I have tested out some of my songs at an open mike night, which went over pretty well, but they have since cancelled the open mic night - They wouldn;t cough up the 150 bucks to pay the sound guy - he owned the PA. Anyway, I will try to find other open mic nights, but I do have a place that will let me set up and play on a Saturday night, but the show isn't ready for prime time yet.

So rather than release new material, Ive decided to just start playing out and screw the idea of releases. I can tell people the only place they will hear these songs is at a live show.
    Well, did you ever do it?

One of these days I'm probably releasing my next album on Bandcamp. Just recorded the last track yesterday.

Actually a did publish it today:
    https://rarebirdproductions.bandcamp...de-wasser-luft
    Last edited by Rarebird; 01-11-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Adding information on the publishing of my new album