Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here is still releasing new music?

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Well, did you ever do it?
    Yep. Its still rusty at this point, but I am having fair responses at open mic nights. I do a bit of the Zeppelin acoustic songs and pretty much nail them, The original music is pretty well received. There seems to be pressure to play more covers from some people who aren't used to seeing just one guy playing obscure music. I did a version of Lazarus by Porcupine tree last night and nobody knew it but loved it. THey asked me if it was my own.. (wow!)I am working on getting part of my show on Video and more gigs will be likely to come. Right now I have an open invite to play at one resteraunt any time (pays me $150 plus dinner) No one yet has said "You are just doing Karaoke" That is my main fear, but I keep enough pure acoustic songs so that the Backing tracks seem like afterthoughts. Anyway, yeah, This year (2019) is the year I became a performing musician again. I am also recording a lot in the studio, but its all for the live show, no plans on releasing anything anytime soon. Kiss of death, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Yep. Its still rusty at this point, but I am having fair responses at open mic nights. I do a bit of the Zeppelin acoustic songs and pretty much nail them, The original music is pretty well received. There seems to be pressure to play more covers from some people who aren't used to seeing just one guy playing obscure music. I did a version of Lazarus by Porcupine tree last night and nobody knew it but loved it. THey asked me if it was my own.. (wow!)I am working on getting part of my show on Video and more gigs will be likely to come. Right now I have an open invite to play at one resteraunt any time (pays me $150 plus dinner) No one yet has said "You are just doing Karaoke" That is my main fear, but I keep enough pure acoustic songs so that the Backing tracks seem like afterthoughts. Anyway, yeah, This year (2019) is the year I became a performing musician again. I am also recording a lot in the studio, but its all for the live show, no plans on releasing anything anytime soon. Kiss of death, IMO.
    Honestly I think people are so udes to backing tracks now they think nothing of it. People see it everywhere.

All anyone wants is to be entertained. Then don't really care how it happens, so long as it entertians them.

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    One of these days I'm probably releasing my next album on Bandcamp. Just recorded the last track yesterday.

Actually a did publish it today:
    https://rarebirdproductions.bandcamp...de-wasser-luft
    Interesting idea.

That's good to hear. I really hope this works out for you. Have you done any video recording of your performances at home for reference? (I assume you've tried this during rehearsals.) It'd be great to see some clips of what you're doing. Please feel free to share if you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
    Honestly I think people are so udes to backing tracks now they think nothing of it. People see it everywhere.

All anyone wants is to be entertained. Then don't really care how it happens, so long as it entertians them.

That surprises me.. Most of the performances I have seen are more about live everything. I cant recall seeing anyone doing Solo acts with backing tracks. Of course I have only been out in Fort Worth and in Sedona AZ. Not the hugest places to see live music - especially if its not country or Hispanic... Seen lots of great flamenco and live bands of several genres in Sedona - Its a music town, perhaps a bit highbrow, but nonetheless for its size it is remarkable what you can see. I went to a club on a Sunday night there and met Phil Rossi - who performed with Sinatra and other greats. He gave me a CD with many of his performances - including the Music to the Pink Panther movies. Anyway Backing tracks are considered kind of a low class thing by the Sedona elites. I really don't have a choice. I do play about half the music as stand alone, so perhaps mixing it up may be OK and provide some diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    That's good to hear. I really hope this works out for you. Have you done any video recording of your performances at home for reference? (I assume you've tried this during rehearsals.) It'd be great to see some clips of what you're doing. Please feel free to share if you don't mind.
    Ive recorded some practices, but nothing I would want to share. It's just so easy to mess up the potential by doing something too early. once I think its ready for primetime, I'll share something with you. - It needs to be something more than just raw. I have a recorded version of the battle of evermore that's - well, kind of OK.

Banned
    ^^^
    Good on ya for getting out there mate. It’s been close to 30 years since I last did an open mic - I’m trying to muster the courage and even taking some voice lessons but as soon as I’m in front of people, anxiety kicks in and my performance degrades and small mistakes shake me... but working on it.

That surprises me.. Most of the performances I have seen are more about live everything. I cant recall seeing anyone doing Solo acts with backing tracks. Of course I have only been out in Fort Worth and in Sedona AZ. Not the hugest places to see live music - especially if its not country or Hispanic... Seen lots of great flamenco and live bands of several genres in Sedona - Its a music town, perhaps a bit highbrow, but nonetheless for its size it is remarkable what you can see. I went to a club on a Sunday night there and met Phil Rossi - who performed with Sinatra and other greats. He gave me a CD with many of his performances - including the Music to the Pink Panther movies. Anyway Backing tracks are considered kind of a low class thing by the Sedona elites. I really don't have a choice. I do play about half the music as stand alone, so perhaps mixing it up may be OK and provide some diversity.
    As a side project to my CD projects I play in a duo, an excuse for me to play some "Rock" guitar, and it's all 80's rock, no originals, but we play to backing tracks that I have recording on my DAW. So, anything that isn't bass or lead guitar ( some rhythm ) gets put on the backing track. We've had some good responses and will likely gig a few times this year. Obviously, it looks a little strange, playing "You Shook Me All Night Long" with no drummer! But it works, and people are liking it.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Obviously, it looks a little strange, playing "You Shook Me All Night Long" with no drummer! But it works, and people are liking it.
    Dean, you could always check to see if this cool cat is available for a couple of gigs...
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

As a side project to my CD projects I play in a duo, an excuse for me to play some "Rock" guitar, and it's all 80's rock, no originals, but we play to backing tracks that I have recording on my DAW. So, anything that isn't bass or lead guitar ( some rhythm ) gets put on the backing track. We've had some good responses and will likely gig a few times this year. Obviously, it looks a little strange, playing "You Shook Me All Night Long" with no drummer! But it works, and people are liking it.
    Yeah that's kind of how I feel about being so lonely up there. I do use a tiny kit on stage, a 8 inch snare, 2 toms and 2 small cymbals, and I use a cajon for a kick drum...I also play the kick and hihat along on some of the 'acoustic only' songs and it adds a little something more. - But I do a version of Tull's "the third hurrah". I learned the flute part on my high spirits wood flute, which turned out to be in the exact right key, so I recorded the bass and worked up the other harpsichord, organ and other key instruments on MIDI. I Played the drums and then realized I could do that live to add to the diversity of the show and prove that I actually play drums a bit. So its a little different, since I do tell the audience that I have played all the instruments they are hearing - I try to sell myself as more of a "composer" than a guitarist. I'm eventually planning on having a "guest" guitarist come on and do the leads and other parts that are missing on some of the songs. If I find the right person, I'll make it a duet, but right now I am just hoping to get myself up to speed and to put on a truly "good" show. Right now its just a bit too sloppy for my taste. I need another ton of reps on all the songs to get them really polished. I am a bit of a perfectionist, and hate to make mistakes, so I think it may eventually become something I could stand to watch myself. For me, It needs to be something unique, and worth doing. Here are the cover tunes - just to show the diversity...

In no particular order:
    There aint no saguaro in Texas - Rev Horton Heat.
    Roads to Moscow, Apple cider reconstitution - Al stewart
    Up a Lazy River, Seduced, Dixie stars are playing Peekaboo, Lazy Bones- Leon Redbone
    Long Cool Woman - Hollies
    If you could read my mind, Don Quixote, Sit down young stranger, Cotton Jenny - Gordon Lightfoot
    Give a Little bit - Supertramp
    Closer to the heart - Rush
    The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel
    Battle of Evermore, That's the way, Goin to California, Stairway to heaven, Ramble on- Zeppelin
    Lazarus - Porcupine tree

I have yet to play them all live, but the list is still growing. I have to really like the song I am playing, and it has to be something no one else would ever think to do. I also do Three songs off the Jaugernaut AD album, So I can potentially sell the last 400 copies I have of that album, along with 15+ other unreleased originals interspersed as seems apropos.

I should maybe put out some of the covers somewhere so if you're interested in what I'm trying to do, you can encourage, or discourage. I have no intention of becoming a current hit machine and playing every weekend in bars. I wouldn't even know where to start to learn new music. If it doesn't work out and no one likes it, hey, I am having a lot of fun just setting this up.

Through this, I get to play my own music live, which is really what I want to do.

Yeah that's kind of how I feel about being so lonely up there. I do use a tiny kit on stage, a 8 inch snare, 2 toms and 2 small cymbals, and I use a cajon for a kick drum...I also play the kick and hihat along on some of the 'acoustic only' songs and it adds a little something more. - But I do a version of Tull's "the third hurrah". I learned the flute part on my high spirits wood flute, which turned out to be in the exact right key, so I recorded the bass and worked up the other harpsichord, organ and other key instruments on MIDI. I Played the drums and then realized I could do that live to add to the diversity of the show and prove that I actually play drums a bit. So its a little different, since I do tell the audience that I have played all the instruments they are hearing - I try to sell myself as more of a "composer" than a guitarist. I'm eventually planning on having a "guest" guitarist come on and do the leads and other parts that are missing on some of the songs. If I find the right person, I'll make it a duet, but right now I am just hoping to get myself up to speed and to put on a truly "good" show. Right now its just a bit too sloppy for my taste. I need another ton of reps on all the songs to get them really polished. I am a bit of a perfectionist, and hate to make mistakes, so I think it may eventually become something I could stand to watch myself. For me, It needs to be something unique, and worth doing. Here are the cover tunes - just to show the diversity...

In no particular order:
    There aint no saguaro in Texas - Rev Horton Heat.
    Roads to Moscow, Apple cider reconstitution - Al stewart
    Up a Lazy River, Seduced, Dixie stars are playing Peekaboo, Lazy Bones- Leon Redbone
    Long Cool Woman - Hollies
    If you could read my mind, Don Quixote, Sit down young stranger, Cotton Jenny - Gordon Lightfoot
    Give a Little bit - Supertramp
    Closer to the heart - Rush
    The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel
    Battle of Evermore, That's the way, Goin to California, Stairway to heaven, Ramble on- Zeppelin
    Lazarus - Porcupine tree

I have yet to play them all live, but the list is still growing. I have to really like the song I am playing, and it has to be something no one else would ever think to do. I also do Three songs off the Jaugernaut AD album, So I can potentially sell the last 400 copies I have of that album, along with 15+ other unreleased originals interspersed as seems apropos.

I should maybe put out some of the covers somewhere so if you're interested in what I'm trying to do, you can encourage, or discourage. I have no intention of becoming a current hit machine and playing every weekend in bars. I wouldn't even know where to start to learn new music. If it doesn't work out and no one likes it, hey, I am having a lot of fun just setting this up.

Through this, I get to play my own music live, which is really what I want to do.
    I would like to hear some of your covers.

I get you I really do I have seen that time & again. But if you give in to them then you don't get to do your thing.

I lived in a Hippie town and they were all so anti anything where some stoned droob wasn't strumming hs bongos with his beard and would be so uncool about Electronics in music but as soon as they heard Enigma or Enya they got all gooey.

So do your thing and if it is good, they will get over thsmselves. Or you may just attract a different set of people.

This may help some of you who are trying to make sense of it.

https://benedictroffmarsh.com/tutori...ans-guidebook/

It isn't one of those silly get rich on Spotifry things but talks a lot about how to find your way to do your unique thing. I have lived every side of this and still am.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Dean, you could always check to see if this cool cat is available for a couple of gigs...
    That was hysterical…..The wife loved it too.
    G.A.S -aholic

Hey where is a good place to park a cover tune - if I wanted to share it? Isnt soundcloud anti cover tunes for copyright reasons? I cant share an MP3 here.

I have loaded one backing track with no vox or second guitar. Im trying to put up a couple complete cover tunes but I don't know where I can park them - not on Soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/zziknowwhatiwant
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 01-18-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Hey where is a good place to park a cover tune - if I wanted to share it? Isnt soundcloud anti cover tunes for copyright reasons? I cant share an MP3 here.

I have loaded one backing track with no vox or second guitar. Im trying to put up a couple complete cover tunes but I don't know where I can park them - not on Soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/zziknowwhatiwant
    Hi Mr Goat

I have a couple of covers on YouTube. They accept them but you will lose "rights" to them as the copyright admin will claim them.

The only downside I have had was with my Bach EP which Sony "claimed" despite it being public domain. Drooble also refused to allow it on their radio citing it as a cover even tho I showed it was in the clear. The music is all still up tho.

Bottom line tho, YT will generally accept covers so long as you are clear whose work it is and don't try to monetize it.

Ah, well, it sounds like a lot of work for such a small thing. perhaps one day, but that sounds like I ought to just get part if a show recorded. I'm a bit off from that becoming a reality. But recording during practice really shines light on just how far there is to go.

Oh I also had Sony Claim copyright infringement on my own CD. Which I composed, recorded and released on my own and which had nothing to do with Sony whatsoever. I could not even reach anyone at the company to find out why they thought they owned it. I guess they just claimed it because they could.

By the way - very interesting synth versions of those songs! Quite brilliantly crafted. that must have been a lot of fun to work out all those sounds. Good work!
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 01-20-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Hi Mr Goat

Why is it a lot of work? I made the slides because I was hoping to entice people to watch longer but there is nothing to stop you using one static image (I've seen some use no image at all which I think is a bit too lazy). Remember this is not going to go viral anyway so do what suits you. Don't let such a small thing get in your way.

Yes, I think Mr. Sony has a very aggressive stance - claim it and then work out if its mine based on complaints at the unmanned counter. Did you try asking YouTube to look at the claim from Sony? It is an automated pattern algorithm that says, "sounds like mine". So if your song has enough markers to make a computer think that it is Stairway To Heaven, it will be tagged as Stairway, until questioned by a human. Which of course has to be you becasue Sony won't be checking.

Thanks. Yes, it is fun (and frustrating). The Bach was great in many ways to work on because his use of notes was so incredibly clever. It is nice not to have to worry about making the notes myself for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
    Hi Mr Goat

Why is it a lot of work? I made the slides because I was hoping to entice people to watch longer but there is nothing to stop you using one static image (I've seen some use no image at all which I think is a bit too lazy). Remember this is not going to go viral anyway so do what suits you. Don't let such a small thing get in your way.

Yes, I think Mr. Sony has a very aggressive stance - claim it and then work out if its mine based on complaints at the unmanned counter. Did you try asking YouTube to look at the claim from Sony? It is an automated pattern algorithm that says, "sounds like mine". So if your song has enough markers to make a computer think that it is Stairway To Heaven, it will be tagged as Stairway, until questioned by a human. Which of course has to be you becasue Sony won't be checking.

Thanks. Yes, it is fun (and frustrating). The Bach was great in many ways to work on because his use of notes was so incredibly clever. It is nice not to have to worry about making the notes myself for a while.

I still don't know how to put music on youtube, combined with a slideshow. It would be another way to bring my music to the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I still don't know how to put music on youtube, combined with a slideshow. It would be another way to bring my music to the audience.
    Renate, it's actually very easy to do. If you have a YouTube account, there are tutorials there that explain this well. It's all pretty intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Renate, it's actually very easy to do. If you have a YouTube account, there are tutorials there that explain this well. It's all pretty intuitive.
    Oh well, if its simple then I'll give it a try, I figured I'd have to get a bunch of picts and video and edit it in some new software and all that stuff. My plate is kind of full as far as learning curve goes. Prepare to be dazzled.

I'll do the Third Hurrah Bruce - I play one of those beautiful wood flutes in Leu of Ian's regular one. Its a little different, but still has the same idea.

Update: Yep, you have to download software, install it, learn it, run it, all that crap. tried to download both Picasa and Filmora and got virus detection from Windows 10 on both. I'm not gonna do it.

Benedict - what software are you using?

Any reason why I cant just use my phone camera and create an MP4? Does it still have to be modded into a YouTube format?
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 01-22-2019 at 11:16 AM.

As I said YT can be as simple as a black screen - not that I recommend that as it will be tres dull.

Yes you can upload an m4a from your phone as YT will do their own encoding. BUT be sure the audio is worth listening to as I notice esp a lot of Rap type ppl video their screen & speakers which is vile indeed.

I use Shotcut but Windows Live Movie Maker is an easier place to start. Both freebies.

I'll give windows live movie maker a go. My issue is with downloading something that brings with it a bunch of malware and crap like that. Maybe I'll check best buy for a cheap $10 movie maker. Or better yet, just start playing out more and have it videotaped (is that even a real phrase anymore?) I have a friend who will do it anytime, and he does pro work.

I've put a few videos up on Youtube using Windows Movie Maker Live. It's easy to do, but time consuming.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

I've put a few videos up on Youtube using Windows Movie Maker Live. It's easy to do, but time consuming.
    I prefer spending that time composing new music.