Thread: FEATURED CD - Johnny Clegg & Savuka : In My African Dream

FEATURED CD - Johnny Clegg & Savuka : In My African Dream

In light of Johnny Clegg's recent OBE (controversial in somw quarters) ... here's a 'best-of' compilation. Per Allmusic
    Globally, Clegg is probably best recalled for "Scatterlings of Africa," understandably the leadoff track here. If not his manifesto (which was established long before his international fame), it makes his point, the mixing of rock and Zulu music, quite succinctly and wonderfully -- and he was doing it long before it became fashionable (indeed, while it was illegal under South Africa's apartheid laws). You can't say this is a perfect best-of, by any means, but it does include the lovely "Take My Heart Away" and "Great Heart," which would later be covered by Jimmy Buffett. The a cappella version of "Dela" highlights the gorgeous harmonies in a manner similar to Ladysmith Black Mambazo, while "Asimbonanga (Mandela)" is a tribute to the man who would be South Africa's new leader, and a real hero. So, even if this doesn't have seminal Clegg material like "Waza Friday" and "Impi," it's still a very decent collection. Johnny Clegg & Savuka were always about more than the music, however; they put it together politically, too, a huge act of defiance that was reflected in the lyrics and sound. As the man said, think and dance.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-be...m-mw0000121884

Regards,

Duncan

Love Suvuka, Juluka and Johnny Clegg. Upbeat music, great vocals, and some well written songs. Saw him live in SF with my brother who was a huge fan in the day. Good times.

Suspended
    I liked Juluka, have not heard anything of his Savuka period.

That album cover looks like someone spanking a ghost. Bizarre.

Why was johnny Clegg's OBE considered controversial?

I really enjoy the songs from this period, with studio albums like "Cruel, Crazy, Beautiful World" and "Heat, Dust and Dreams". Can't see it as prog in any way, but good world pop.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Why was johnny Clegg's OBE considered controversial?
    I would be interested to know as well...

but as to the music, I am not familiar with Clegg's stuff. Could someone recommend the most Prog-y (and it need not be Symph style Prog) album he made?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I would be interested to know as well... [...] Could someone recommend the most Prog-y (and it need not be Symph style Prog) album he made?
    Hm. None of it is very "Prog-y", and certainly not "symph style". Most compilations would serve as a fine introduction to his work. I've only got one, The Best of Live.

As for the OBE controversy in relation to Clegg, it concerned both the fact that his past is widely still associated with Joe Slovo-period SACP (whom Clegg identified with on a long-term basis) and the artist's generally very outspoken stance against imperialism (and British especially) and racist supremacism. Why, some asked, would he even consider accepting an Order of the British Empire? On the other hand, from what I hear, there were also staunch conservatives who opposed the OBE being granted him.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Hm. None of it is very "Prog-y"
    well, when I say Prog-y I mean that the compositions go through various interesting changes rather than the standard formula of verse, chorus, verse, bridge, verse, chorus

I most certainly do NOT mean 'sounds like Genesis and Yes'
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Johnny Clegg is an incredible musician, song writer, and performer. I was very fortunate to have seen him in his prime live with Juluka in 1983!
    Here's one of the few live Juluka videos from 1983. It's a taste of what you've missed from this great artist.

Juluka IMPI Live from Cape Town 1983!

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v6970615AM...petown+1983%29

The only reason this can be prog is because someone 'important' said so... who ?
    Or is it as in swedish progg ?

It was progressive of Clegg to form a mixed racial band at the time. Reading a little Wiki info I didn't realize how progressive it was, but here was a funny quote from the wiki entry about Clegg's popularity in France:

"Third World Child and Shadow Man occupied first and second position respectively in France and became the most successful foreign band in France and Shadow Man topped the charts in Montréal, Québec, Canada.[5] At the height of the band's success in 1988, Michael Jackson had to cancel his show in Lyon, France, as he attracted a smaller audience than Johnny Clegg and Savuka. A newspaper headline in France read "white man singing black music, out sells black man singing white music"[5]

Quote Originally Posted by jcleary View Post
    Johnny Clegg is an incredible musician, song writer, and performer. I was very fortunate to have seen him in his prime live with Juluka in 1983!
    Here's one of the few live Juluka videos from 1983. It's a taste of what you've missed from this great artist.

Juluka IMPI Live from Cape Town 1983!

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v6970615AM...petown+1983%29
    is that kind of 'anthemic Rock' typical of his sound?

I guess I was hoping for the Afro Prog sound of Osibisa... but I suppose Clegg's was a different era, Osibisa doing their progressive mix of African and Rock music in 1971 and having many more compositional twists and turns in most of their pieces from their first 4 albums

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    is that kind of 'anthemic Rock' typical of his sound?

I guess I was hoping for the Afro Prog sound of Osibisa... but I suppose Clegg's was a different era, Osibisa doing their progressive mix of African and Rock music in 1971 and having many more compositional twists and turns in most of their pieces from their first 4 albums
    The thing is that Osibisa came from a different part of Africa. Many of the songs of Juluka have rhythms that are indeed authentically Zulu - try "Scatterlings of Africa", and "December African Rain."
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 06-25-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Juluka's sound is fairly typical of indigenous music from South Africa. But if you want to hear the sound that really resonates across the country, listen to Ladysmith Black Mambazo (made famous by Paul Simon). To me, that is the sound of Africa.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Why, some asked, would he even consider accepting an Order of the British Empire?
    I don't know, maybe to increase his chances of getting laid?

A big fan for Juluka and Savuca, both of whom I also saw live. Also had the pleasure to play with drummer Derek DeBoer, who ultimately moved near Ottawa to marry his wife. Much busier player than with Clegg, who kept him under tight rein, but still a terrific drummer for both groups.

Haven't followed him since Dust and Dreams and the accompanying world tour. Any recs from after that?

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    A big fan for Juluka and Savuca, both of whom I also saw live. Also had the pleasure to play with drummer Derek DeBoer, who ultimately moved near Ottawa to marry his wife. Much busier player than with Clegg, who kept him under tight rein, but still a terrific drummer for both groups.

Haven't followed him since Dust and Dreams and the accompanying world tour. Any recs from after that?
    I would recommend Johnny Clegg's "One Life". It's a return to the Johnny Clegg we know and love. Interesting I'm also a friend of Derek Debeer and was blessed to go to some of the recording sessions for "Heat Dust and Dreams". Not sure why, but most of the early live videos of Juluka and Savuka on you tube have been deleted.
    There's still a few Classics if you dig deep. Here's one of my favorites!

Savuka "Jericho" Live

Last edited by jcleary; 06-25-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Suspended
    ^^ He seems to be singing with his eyes closed. I noticed that in another video as well, eyes closed or half closed, head tilted as though he is in some kind of pain, forcing the notes out. Is that just his manner, or does he have some physical problem?
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 06-25-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcleary View Post
    I would recommend Johnny Clegg's "One Life". It's a return to the Johnny Clegg we know and love. Interesting I'm also a friend of Derek Debeer and was blessed to go to some of the recording sessions for "Heat Dust and Dreams". Not sure why, but most of the early live videos of Juluka and Savuka on you tube have been deleted.
    There's still a few Classics if you dig deep. Here's one of my favorites!

Savuka "Jericho" Live

Tasty cut. Nice full sound with the band and back up singer. Thanks for dishing that up.