Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supersister - To the Highest Bidder

Supersister - To the Highest Bidder

Huge fan of the Presents From Nancy. How does this compare??

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Huge fan of the Presents From Nancy. How does this compare??
    about equal, if not a tad superior... Both are a little better than Pudding en Gisteren, in case you wonder....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Superior Sister. They're both classics. They look so young on the cover of Nancy!

Agreed, this one is right up there with Present. I'm a big fan of everything they did, but the first two are the undisputed stone-cold classics.

I'd say it's on par with their debut. A bit more proggy in a traditional sense, a bit less whimsical, but the songwriting is very strong throughout, and "A Girl Named You" must rank as one of their best tunes period. While I love the subsequent albums too, they never captured the brilliance of the first two IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Both are a little better than Pudding en Gisteren, in case you wonder....
    PeG is one of my favorites, just for the record. Hell, they're all well worth owning. There aren't that many Supersister albums.

Just get it, man.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Just get it, man.
    Yeah, I'll agree with that. It's a good album.

And now I'll say something no one else will: Sweet Okay Supersister's Spiral Staircase is my favorite Supersister album. I know. It doesn't make sense.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    And now I'll say something no one else will: Sweet Okay Supersister's Spiral Staircase is my favorite Supersister album. I know. It doesn't make sense.
    Global gobble google.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I like this better
    agreed. There most consistent album IMO.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Makes perfect sense. My fave, also. What doesn't make sense is ISKANDER.

Iskander is my favourite!

^^ That's cool. I could never get over the sax on that one.

Does anyone remember Stipps' very hard to find "NEVERGREENS" ? If memory serves, it was the first project he did after "SPIRAL STAIRCASE". EDIT: I can't remember where Golden Earring came into this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSlxWt2m6OQ
    Last edited by Prehensile Pencil; 06-22-2015 at 01:14 AM.

Yes, I have Nevergreens, credited to Stars & Stips. It's not very good: short funky songs, with lots of singing. The one exception is the title track, which last for some 8-9 minutes and is wholly instrumental but with lots of synths that remind me of Dreamweaver era Gary Wright, and is similar in style to the long ballet he did for Pudding in Gisteren, which is my favorite Supersister piece.
    Stips also played shortly after Supersister as a member of Sweet d'Buster with sax player Bertus Borgers (formerly of Mr. Albert Show), and they recorded four albums of so-so funky rock (a la Doobie Brothers and the like) from 1975 to 1979.

Bidder is my fave SSister, but I dig all of them. I think what makes it tick even better than the others is the very apparent contrast in motions and atmosphere; while they certainly weren't slouches at this to begin with, I can hardly think of a more sincere way of rounding up a silliness-tour-de-force ("Energy/Out of Future") than with "Higher".

I really like those recordings they did with that German radio orchestra as well, where their Bacharach-influence shines through more clearly.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

One of my favorite bands. I love everything they did, and consider "Pudding..." to be in line with the first two.

And I think a Supersister collection is not complete without Supersisterious, the live album from 2000. One of the better reunion concerts.

I have Supersisterious; nice performance but very odd, tinny sound. Sounds like an early 90s midi product to my ears.

What do you all think of Long Live Supersister? Do those live performances live up to the hype?

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    Makes perfect sense. My fave, also. What doesn't make sense is ISKANDER.
    Also a for Iskander here!

Isn't it Charlie Mariano? hence the shenai?...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    What do you all think of Long Live Supersister? Do those live performances live up to the hype?
    I dunno about hype, but it's great sounding live recordings from the original era...!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Bidder
    I really like those recordings they did with that German radio orchestra as well, where their Bacharach-influence shines through more clearly.
    you mean the tracks recorded at NDR ?

The best Supersister for me.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    you mean the tracks recorded at NDR ?
    Yes, with (among others) "House in the Country" - which was the catalyst for "Energy/Out of Future". It sounds like a tune by The Sea & Cake - from 1971!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Isn't it Charlie Mariano? hence the shenai?...
    Indeed! Great album, this one as well. But different; Dave's right about that.