Page 30 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead Thread V.3

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    IMO, The Wire beats anything I've seen on TV.
    Another candidate for best ever, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    These trivial things you guys nitpick about don't bother me in the slightest bit This show is mindless fun...right in my wheelhouse! I can't help but wonder what the hell you all are looking for that's so deep in a show about dead people roaming the earth.
    Hear! Hear My brother! Fuck all that nonsense of noticing things. I have to do that all day at work and at 9:00 on Sundaynight my eyes glaze over, I lay my shotgun in my lap, peep out the windows and make sure none of them Walkers are out there and enjoy the show.

One thing I do pick up one in an instant is Maggie's cute little tuckus.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Another candidate for best ever, IMO.
    Thats a tough one. The Wire is most certainly in my top 3 for sure. I will always love The X-Files but that hit a wall towards the end and there was The Sopranos which ended poorly.

1. The Wire
    2. Band of Brothers
    3. The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    One thing I do pick up one in an instant is Maggie's cute little tuckus.
    I stopped looking at her when Rosita showed up. MmMmMmM!

I will always love The X-Files but that hit a wall towards the end
    No shit. Not the biggest or fastest nosedive a show may have ever taken from greatness, but a sizeable one nonetheless.

Still surprised at how few people on this message board acknowledge the excellence of The Shield, and I think it's because of two things: it was an extremely L.A. centric show (most people tend to prefer NYC or Bay Area cops, I guess), and since it wasn't on HBO or Showtime, it didn't have the same leisure with respect to nudity, violence and profanity. Those elements were present in carefully measured doses but the characterization was the real draw. Chiklis, Goggins, Martinez, Pounder, Karnes (etc.) were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    You can't look at both? Pssh...amateurs.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

No shit. Not the biggest or fastest nosedive a show may have ever taken from greatness, but a sizeable one nonetheless.

Still surprised at how few people on this message board acknowledge the excellence of The Shield, and I think it's because of two things: it was an extremely L.A. centric show (most people tend to prefer NYC or Bay Area cops, I guess), and since it wasn't on HBO or Showtime, it didn't have the same leisure with respect to nudity, violence and profanity. Those elements were present in carefully measured doses but the characterization was the real draw. Chiklis, Goggins, Martinez, Pounder, Karnes (etc.) were awesome.
    Shield was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    You can't look at both? Pssh...amateurs.
    I opt for spicy over sweet.

A pox on me for forgetting Rosita. She is schweet!

Only problem is what is coming up on the show. I will not say a word about it but there is no sunshine for our group of survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Breaking Bad was an interesting, above-average show that nevertheless had numerous problems throughout. It also didn't know how to end, and slid into a sink-hole of awfulness in its final season (redeemed somewhat by a nice final episode). I don't really know how anybody could put Breaking Bad in the same league as Mad Men - Mad Men is of a much higher caliber all the way around.
    Totally disagree with you on this one. “Breaking Bad” ranks right up there with me. Can’t agree with the “sinking hole of awfulness” final season either. I thought it was one of the few shows that kept the quality right up there until the end. I enjoyed the final season as much as I did earlier ones. To me “Breaking Bad” and “Walking Dead” are not even in the same playing field as far as writing and acting go. That being said, I am a fan of “Mad Men” and am really looking forward to the final episodes, but for me it is an example of a show that has fallen off a bit in the most recent seasons. The soap opera aspect of the show gets a bit much for me at times. I still think it is a very well written, well-acted show that ranks up pretty high, but as far as best ever I would rank several TV dramas ahead of it (“The Wire”, “Breaking Bad”, “The Sopranos”, “Boardwalk Empire”, “Deadwood”, “Six Feet Under”, “Lost” off the top of my head). Maybe the final episodes of “Mad Men” will lift my opinion above some of the shows listed above. I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    IMO, The Wire beats anything I've seen on TV.
    I would probably have "The Wire" at the top of my list as well. Watched the whole thing on DVD after it was over. Amazing TV.

I always forget about The Shield for some reason. Yea, another great one.

A pox on me for forgetting Rosita. She is schweet!

Only problem is what is coming up on the show. I will not say a word about it but there is no sunshine for our group of survivors.
    Great, you've given me "Ain't No Sunshine" as an earworm.

As far as "greatest" on TV, I agree with The Wire, but followed closely by Breaking Bad, Fargo, Arrested Development, and True Detective
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Great, you've given me "Ain't No Sunshine" as an earworm.

As far as "greatest" on TV, I agree with The Wire, but followed closely by Breaking Bad, Fargo, Arrested Development, and True Detective
    We just finished watching Fargo on DVD and agree it was outstanding. Billy Bob Thortan should get an Emmy for his performance, and everyone in it was great. The writing was killer too. Looking forward to the 2nd season.

The one show that really opened up TV's promise for me was The West Wing. That was followed by several really entertaining and intelligent shows, like Newsroom (same producer I believe - gone now), Game of Thrones, True Detective, Hell on Wheels, Sherlock, Fringe (gone now), Lie to Me (gone now), Lost (gone now), and House of Cards.

Added: Orange is the New Black, The Americans, Justified, Homeland

(man, I watch too much TV)
    Last edited by BobM; 02-25-2015 at 01:47 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Wow. Some really great shows have been listed. Does anyone else, besides me, think we're in a second "Golden Age" of TV?

Some other truly excellent shows not yet mentioned: The Good Wife (my pick for best), Justified (easily as good as anything else mentioned), Southland, and The Americans. I still haven't gotten around to seeing The Wire, yet, but it's on my list.

BTW, for anyone with Amazon Prime, I just binge-watched Bosch over the weekend. Very good show, especially if you like the Michael Connelly novels.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    To bad Maggie's not a Lesbian too!

Yeah, I thought this episode was pretty good. We just watched it last night. The whole incident on the road and in the woods was pretty friggin scary.

I don't know what's behind the walls either. I thought it would be funny if it turned out to be a gay community. Whatever's there, it can't be good judging from the clips from the next episode!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't know what's behind the walls either. I thought it would be funny if it turned out to be a gay community. Whatever's there, it can't be good judging from the clips from the next episode!
    Karl's going to open the door and see RuPaul?

Here's my theory - It's only the gay couple and they have been looking for the right group to clear the compound of roamers AND be the foundation for a new civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Does anyone else, besides me, think we're in a second "Golden Age" of TV?

I agree. A lot of the shows I grew up with (I'm 48) don't stand up anymore. Some truly great programming going on right now.

My personal favorite of all-time is Breaking Bad. Current programs my wife and I are watching are Better Call Saul and Orange Is the New Black. One day I want to watch The Shield, The Wire, and Arrested Development.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Wow. Some really great shows have been listed. Does anyone else, besides me, think we're in a second "Golden Age" of TV?
    Yes - in America, anyway. Much of it has happened on cable and pay TV - IMO - but I think it has happened. Though probably not related except in the most macro sense, it corresponds with the splintering of popular music into small subgroups. Cable channels and pay channels don't need large network-sized audiences to remain viable, so they can make a show that doesn't require broad appeal to succeed. Cable channels have more freedom with subject matter than network channels because they don't need to have the same commercial sponsors. Pay channels, obviously, have the most freedom in terms of content. There are so many channels now, so now you can have shows that only relatively small numbers of people are watching and which would have been quickly canceled in the old days, but are now considered "hits" and keep getting renewed.

So, you've got better TV, but far fewer people are watching any given show.

For me, nothing topped The Sopranos.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

My top shows of the new golden age in no particular order

House of Cards
    The Wire
    The Sopranos
    Game of Thrones
    Veep
    Parks and Rec
    Broadchurch
    Wallender
    Sherlock
    Justified
    The Americans
    Archer
    Fargo
    Community
    Hinterland
    The Office
    Orphan Black
    Fringe
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My top shows of the new golden age in no particular order

House of Cards
    The Wire
    The Sopranos
    Game of Thrones
    Veep
    Parks and Rec
    Broadchurch
    Wallender - Love Wallender
    Sherlock
    Justified
    The Americans
    Archer
    Fargo
    Community
    Hinterland
    The Office
    Orphan Black
    Fringe I binged Fringe - best TV SciFi to date!

Good list.

Parks and Recreation is, or (as of last night) was, awesome. It sucks to see that show go! Some of the best comedy writing ever.