Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ill Wicker - Comus-like acid folk psych from Sweden

Ill Wicker - Comus-like acid folk psych from Sweden

A friend introduced me to the band called ILL WICKER the other day. He said he met them on a record fair, which is itself a dead giveaway for me - if they are collectors of rare old psych, prog and folk, surely they must play something like that as well? But their album actually exceeded my expectations - they captured the sound of "First Utterance" by Comus down to a tee, with violins, acoustic guitars, tribal percussion and screechy male vocals balanced by angelic female backing. Even the album title, "Under Diana", seems to be a Comus reference!

The entire album is uploaded on YouTube by the band themselves - so you're welcome to take a listen. I already ordered a LP.

Definitely a homage. Thanks for posting this. I'll probably pick it up at some point.

Glad you enjoyed it Mark. You're the only one, it seems I'll bump this thread once just in case someone missed it the first time. Come on, this is some seriously wicked shit, and anyone into early 1970s weird folk might find it to his/her liking.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Giving it a listen, quite enjoying it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

7 minutes in and digging it!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

chalkpie
    I listened to this the other day - very enjoyable a la Comus.

to everyone! Unfortunately, this one seems to be LP-only, like many other albums by young bands these days. Not a problem for me as I largely switched to vinyl myself, but may be a problem for CD lovers.

chalkpie
    ^ Not even necessarily CD lovers - just folks without a turntable - which is most likely a huge percentage.

I just don't understand not making a digital version available in this day and age.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ian - I think this album is on iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Ian - I think this album is on iTunes.
    Cool, I'll get it from there then.
    Ian

This was/is good!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Lev-

This is a really cool album. I actually picked up the LP a few months ago, based on Spyro's glowing recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoodman View Post
    Lev-

This is a really cool album. I actually picked up the LP a few months ago, based on Spyro's glowing recommendation.
    You picked it up because I pointed it out to you and told you Spyros liked it. Get your facts straight :P

I should have bought it myself instead...

Somehow it escaped me to write more details about this one here. Excellent album and I'm glad that the usual suspects are after it...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Wow! another album in 2016? Fantastic

Ill Wicker are comin' to kill us all.

I hope.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Ill Wicker are comin' to kill us all.

I hope.
    One can only wish. Instead they'll come and sooth and pamper us, and then Trump will be president.

Just listened to the entire album....

...In a word: Bitch'in !! LOVED IT !!!

I especially liked the gypsy/Klezmer vibe of the final tune...great way to finish-out the ride.

The Comus influence is clearly evident. If I wasn't aware of it up-front, I would have sworn that this WAS a Comus album.

The second one is awesome as well. Better than the debut for me. The future looks bright for them.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    The second one is awesome as well. Better than the debut for me. The future looks bright for them.
    I tend to agree, I think I like the second one better, will buy both this weekend.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    One can only wish. Instead they'll come and sooth and pamper us, and then Trump will be president.

Frankie, Ill Wicker charge and leave a bloody trail of entrail and blood.

Thanks for the heads-up! Listening now and liking it a lot so far.

Ill Wicker are so evilly that they suck out juicy frontal lobe with a straw through nostrils and bypass earhair to get to fleshy melon brain.