Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You like a cover more than the original

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    It's horrific.
    It very well may be. Even credible performers don't always know how to handle their own songs, sometimes. I've got that boxset of live material that came out in the mid 80's, and judging from that, Springsteen could pull it off, but I've seen other instances of people who theoretically shouldn't have needed someone else to show them how to perform a given song.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    It's horrific.
    I disagree. I like it fine, but I prefer the MMEB version. Probably my nostalgic link for that was the version I originally heard. Didn’t hear Bruce’s version till much later.

Conversely, the original “Spirits in the Night” is far superior to the MMEB cover!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Re: Funky Town

You're kidding, right? OK, here are the differences:

Lipps Inc version has a female lead vocalist, Pseudo Echo's version is sun by a guy
    Synth riff on Pseudo Echo version has more of a "brass ensemble" timbre to it
    Lips Inc version is very disco sounding, while the Pseudo Echo version has a rock rhythm section
    Pseudo Echo has prominent hard rock style guitar playing, with whammy bar dive bombs and such
    I was exaggerating. Yes of course I can tell the difference; if you played me one version I would be able to say immediately which version it was. My point was that I don't think one version sounds different enough from the other to make it worthwhile, even if I liked the original (which I don't, meaning I may be somewhat biased).

The other thing is that, growing up in Oz during the 1960's, I got very tired of hearing Australian covers of songs from elsewhere - normally from the U.S.. Very often they were eerily similar to the originals, and they basically got away with it because in those days the rules about Australian content on radio meant they had an unfair advantage - indeed very often I did not get to hear the originals until much later. It was pretty easy for those groups - all they had to do was consult the latest Motown and Stax catalogues, find a recording and/or the sheet music, and record their version. People in other countries might know of originals by people like The Easybeats, The Master's Apprentices and a few others, but they were rarities in a sea of mediocrity. It was really not until the late 60's that Australian performers realised that maybe it was possible to actually write and record their own songs, and hearing the Pseudo-Echo thing just seemed such a throwback to those bad old days.

Suspended
    re Springsteen - I'm not sure if I have heard the original of Blinded by the Light, but I may have. It's quite a repetitious song, and really needs a good flashy treatment such as Manfred mann's to give it life. Some of Springsteen's early recordings sound quite dirge-like. IMO it was not really until Born to Run that he hit his stride.

Springsteen apparently was not amused that the word "deuce", which appears about 20 times in the song, is mispronounced by MMBE as "douche" every single time."Blinded By the Light" tops the list of mondegreens, edging out JH's "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy".

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Jimi Hendrix Experience: Hey Joe (better than anyone else's version, period, except maybe The Bevis Frond)
    I'm not sure I like it more than Hendrix version, but I think the Mink Deville version is also pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Perhaps this is heresy, but I've always liked Kevin Gilbert's version of "Kashmir" more than the Zeppelin original.

Liking anything better than Zeppelin is not heresy; it is good taste. Thanks for posting that, I'd always wondered what people liked so much about that song but couldn't get past Plant's hideous screeching vocals.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Seeing Pet Shop Boys perform Go West live a couple of days ago reminded me of how much less it sucks than the Village People original. Which in turn reminds me of Kingston Wall's cover of Donna Summer's I Feel Love, which really doesn't suck at all, but I still like Kingston Wall's version more.

Beatles -Twist and Shout this is the song that got me absolutely hooked on them.
    Gary Moore - The Messiah Will Come Again
    The Sundays - Wild Horses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    Ray Charles - Eleanor Rigby
    Jeff Beck - 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers
    Santana - She's Not There

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I do like Santana's version for what it is, but I still prefer the baroque simplicity of the Zombies' original.

On the other hand I really think Santana nailed it with his version of Black Magic Woman.

As great as the original is i'd have to say i prefer this version -

Never knew Motorhead covered "God Save the Queen" (Sex Pistols) but I like this Lemmy version better.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

In that spirit, I've always quite liked this:

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    Ray Charles - Eleanor Rigby
    Jeff Beck - 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers
    I agree with the Stevie Ray Vaughan cover of Voodoo Child -- especially the video-taped version he did on Austin City Limits.

I mentioned this in another thread (similar to this one), and the Jimi worshipers jumped all over me. I love Jimi, but Stevie Ray out-shined him on this one.

Lone Star - She Said, She Said
    Gary Moore - Wishing Well, Shapes of Things
    Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
    The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man
    CSNY - Woodstock
    The Posies - Song for a Baker (love the Small Faces original, but the Posies version just takes it up a whole 'nother notch).
    Spock's Beard - Beware of Darkness

Frank Zappa - "Stairway to Heaven"

I really love The Kinks but these three covers are great and hold special memories for me.

Cardiacs - Susannah's Still Alive (The Kinks) - the only cover Cardiacs ever did.
    The Pretenders - Stop Your Sobbing (The Kinks)
    The Pretenders - I Go To Sleep (The Kinks)

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Dear Prudence
    Robert Wyatt - Shipbuilding
    Andi Sex Gang - Sister Morphine (If you haven't heard his album of Marianne Faithfull covers, it is worth a listen)
    Has anyone else listened to that great song that Elvis Costello recorded with Anne Sofie von Otter, which starts out as Tom Waits' Broken Bicycles and then goes into McCartney's Junk, it's on the 2001 Costello/von Otter album "For The Stars"

Robert Wyatt - Shipbuilding:

Excellent! I hadn't actually seen that before only heard it. I like his set-up, organ, piano, bass and drums.
    Last edited by AndiSexgang; 01-11-2019 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Perhaps this is heresy, but I've always liked Kevin Gilbert's version of "Kashmir" more than the Zeppelin original.

I love this version. First time I heard it. Am I correct that when the drums and heavy guitar come in, that the main riff is played in 4/4 vs 3/4? It really seems to add some "forward motion" to the song and liven up the pace
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

In some instances I can't pick a favorite but am glad to have the cover version stuck in the brain:
    Some tracks from Bowie's Pin Ups album (See Emily Play... and Friday On My Mind jump out)
    Asphalt Orchestra / Hyperballade (Bjork cover)
    Bangles / Hazy Shade of Winter
    Die Hornissen / Here Come The Warm Jets
    Melvins / Going Blind
    Lizzy Mercier Descloux / Mission Impossible
    Mott the Hoople / Sweet Jane
    Voivod /Astronomy Domine
    Last edited by Bake 1; 01-20-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Beggar's Opera : MacArhur Park (Richard Harris)
    Vanilla Fudge : You Keep Me Hangin' On (Supremes) and Season of the Witch (Donovan)
    Julie Driscoll & Brian Auger: Season of the Witch (Donovan)
    Esperanto: Eleanor Rigby (Beatles)