Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KANSAS- Back in the studio after 14 years!

KANSAS- Back in the studio after 14 years!

The band announced today that they are back in the studio working on the follow up to Somewhere to Elsewhere. I saw this lineup last night and it was the freshest I have heard them live in decades. The keys were up in the mix (Moog and Hammond even!) and the new singer Ronnie Platt channels mid 80s Walsh to a tee. I have never heard the vocals so sweet, rasp free and clean. It was like hearing a lot of these songs for the first time. I think that talent will shine in the studio as well!

Clipboard01.jpg

The band posted a vid about the new cd too on their page today, a sort heads up- https://www.facebook.com/KansasBand

Sweet! I feel confident we'll get some great material from these guys. I won't lie; I hope a Livgren song gets thrown into the mix...
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I have a very good gut feeling about this. Don't know why but I think this may really kill. Wonder how long it will take before they are finished?

This is good news....looking forward!

I do wonder though...is there a contingent of fans out there that are up in arms about Kansas carrying on with a "tribute band singer"? And where are the fans that are having fits because Kansas seems to want to continue with only two of it's classic-era line-up in the band? Where are the "cash grab" cries? I do understand that the circumstances that have led Kansas and Yes to their current places were different, but both bands are at similar points now in their careers and it seems the backlash for Yes touring and recording is so much louder. Just curious...Why is that? (Full disclosure - I am a fan of both bands and am happy that they are both carrying on and occasionally grabbing my cash, so I am not unhappy with either band - just curious)

My guess is that it involves the sometimes-over-crazed feeling some fans have about Jon A and the division that these fans have built, while Kansas has a "we're all still buds" kind of impression to the fans. It's just funny to me to see both bands at very similar points with such differing reactions.
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 06-15-2015 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I do wonder though...is there a contingent of fans out there that are up in arms about Kansas carrying on with a "tribute band singer"? And where are the fans that are having fits because Kansas seems to want to continue with only two of it's classic-era line-up in the band? Where are the "cash grab" cries?
    Oh, they're on PE too. You've just somehow missed them in past Kansas threads.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Oh, they're on PE too. You've just somehow missed them in past Kansas threads.
    Was thinking the same thing. It has been discussed quite a bit here over the past few months.

This is good news....looking forward!

I do wonder though...is there a contingent of fans out there that are up in arms about Kansas carrying on with a "tribute band singer"? And where are the fans that are having fits because Kansas seems to want to continue with only two of it's classic-era line-up in the band? Where are the "cash grab" cries? I do understand that the circumstances that have led Kansas and Yes to their current places were different, but both bands are at similar points now in their careers and it seems the backlash for Yes touring and recording is so much louder. Just curious...Why is that? (Full disclosure - I am a fan of both bands and am happy that they are both carrying on and occasionally grabbing my cash, so I am not unhappy with either band - just curious)

My guess is that it involves the sometimes-over-crazed feeling some fans have about Jon A and the division that these fans have built, while Kansas has a "we're all still buds" kind of impression to the fans. It's just funny to me to see both bands at very similar points with such differing reactions.
    1970s arena rock bands NEVER ever have to apologize for being a "cash grab" band. Ever.

AOR is, by its very definition, a cash grab. The suits in the A&R Dept won, remember?

My feeling is that these guys are still trying to make a living. I hope they put out a great album and do very well. I'd love to hear a great new Kansas album. It would have to be better than the last one though.

i'm remaining open. let's see what they come up with.

Well, I'm curious to hear what they produce but no autobuy for me. I'll play the samples and read the reviews. Should be interesting discussion either way.

it seems the backlash for Yes touring and recording is so much louder.
    My perception on this is that on a prog forum like PE Yes is an important band. Kansas is a lower tier, prog/aor group that doesn't get a lot of attention. Yeah there are Kansas threads that pop up every now and then, but nothing like the big 5 threads. Also, they haven't produced a new Kansas album since 2000. Plus, Kansas have been touring the state fair/corndog circuit for more than 15 years. They're not a band that's taken very seriously by hardcore, prog fans. That's how I perceive it. By the way, I'm a huge fan of Kansas. Kansas was my prog gateway, and Kansas brought me to PE. To be honest I am a bit surprised that Kansas chose to continue rather than call it a day after Steve retired. But, otoh seeing that all these classic rock bands are still in high demand for concerts, cruises, state fairs, etc. they're still able to make a decent living at it.

Excellent news, all around. Good to hear that the new singer is doing such a great job, and it appears as if they have a new vigor, which is always welcome. Looking forward to hearing new stuff.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"I do wonder though...is there a contingent of fans out there that are up in arms about Kansas carrying on with a "tribute band singer"?

I don't think he came from a tribute band so that argument hasn't come up much.

Classic rock bands make most of their money from touring. They're only recording because they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    "I do wonder though...is there a contingent of fans out there that are up in arms about Kansas carrying on with a "tribute band singer"?

I don't think he came from a tribute band so that argument hasn't come up much.
    My fault - when he was hired I had read that he was singing in a cover band of classic rock material - I tend to think of cover bands and tribute bands as the same ilk.

Didn't he sing in Shooting Star though? So he's a real dude.

After hearing him they made the right choice. Really glad Elefante turned them down. Platt is a better fit. And yeah, he was in Shooting Star. Can you name their "hit"?

After hearing him they made the right choice. Really glad Elefante turned them down. Platt is a better fit. And yeah, he was in Shooting Star. Can you name their "hit"?
    Platt never recorded with Shooting Star, but yeah - he did sing live for them. And "Last Chance" used to get a ton of play on WYSP in Philly - LOVE that song!

Last Chance. Love that song!

And "Last Chance" used to get a ton of play on WYSP in Philly
    Good old YSP. I remember when they were the best commercial station in the region.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Well, Hang On For Your Life was the "hit" in the midwest. But Last Chance was a much better song. It did get played in Denver a lot.

Jon Neudorf
    This is great news. For me, Auto buy, pure and simple.

Regards,
    Jon

Since the "tribute band singer" he's being compared to is obviously Jon Davison, am I the only person on this forum that seems to know that Davison was in Glass Hammer? Even when Glass Hammer are actual members here? And Glass Hammer is not a tribute band?

Yeah, he was in a tribute band but that's certainly not all he's ever done.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Since the "tribute band singer" he's being compared to is obviously Jon Davison, am I the only person on this forum that seems to know that Davison was in Glass Hammer? Even when Glass Hammer are actual members here? And Glass Hammer is not a tribute band?

Obviously - Davison was in Glass Hammer and Benoit was in Mystery - but all the naysayers focused on were the tribute bands that they were also in. That is why I saw it as an apt comparison, since Platt toured with Shooting Star but spent a good deal of time in a popular covers band called "ARRA". I was moreso addressing my question to the naysayers - since they refer to Benoit and Jon D as "tribute band singers".

Jon was in a signed band in the 90s Called Sky Cries Mary as well, before any of that. But outside of prog circles it's the fact that he was in a tribute band that gets all the notice. Same thing with Benoit, for that matter...

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post

No, but it's all that matters to those who want to criticize such a thing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally