Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is Here Comes the Flood about?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I know I've read that Watcher of the Skies was specifically inspired by "Childhood's End".

Here Comes the Flood however does not seem to have any particular relation to that novel, "Childhood's End" is not about an apocalypse as such, it is about the arrival of an alien race forcing humankind to "come of age."
    Not forcing us to "come of age", so much as giving us time to do so. And some of the later scenes, as and after the children of the new race start appearing - the boy saved from a tsunami by the Overlords, the murderously violent sports indulged in by the remnants of Humanity 1.0, the island of artists blowing themselves up rather than sink into savagery, and the final union of humanity with the Overmind - can be seen or intuited in the song.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    I've always thought climate change, based on the speech on Fripp's version.
    Quite advanced to be referencing this in 1978.
    "forty years at the most, but maybe even quicker."

we got 3 left
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    whatever it's about, my favorite by PG. one of the best songs he ever wrote.
    Yep.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Yep.
    My fave too.

At first I never realized how great this song could be since I initially learned it from PG1. I can sort of see what Bob Ezrin was thinking in making it a big epic closer to the album, but that was just the wrong way to go. It felt a little too close to a prog cliche. It's in that slower quiet setting that the piece really thrives.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My fave too.
    I don't know if I could pick one, but this would be a top choice if I had to narrow it down. It'd have some seriously stiff competition with "Secret World," "Mercy Street" or "The Family and the Fishing Net."
    Last edited by Spiral; 06-16-2015 at 02:20 PM.

I always thought Here come the flood was about peeing while you were asleep.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It's about 5 and a half minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I know I've read that Watcher of the Skies was specifically inspired by "Childhood's End".

Here Comes the Flood however does not seem to have any particular relation to that novel, "Childhood's End" is not about an apocalypse as such, it is about the arrival of an alien race forcing humankind to "come of age."

If PG was obsessed with short-wave radio, it's possible that the lyrics were inspired by the short story "The Waveries" by Frederick Brown - although again the connection is rather tenuous. It's more likely that the lyrics are a collage of impressions from various things Gabriel had seen and read.
    I've read somewhere that Childhood's End in turn borrows something from William Blake - but I can't remember where or when I read it - it might even have been in PE.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I always thought Here come the flood was about peeing while you were asleep.
    Here Come the Warm Jets

Here Come the Warm Jets
    Ah, right you are...

Here Come the Warm Jets
    "I'd rather be dead, then wet my bed"

H.N. RIP