Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Prog Collectors" Facebook group

"Prog Collectors" Facebook group

I recently started a group on Facebook for those of us who enjoy discussion about/photos of prog collections and collectables. Vinyl LPs, CDs, DVDs, books, posters, ticket stubs, general rarities..... 64 members so far, it's nothing serious... all in good fun! Please drop by if you'd like to see what people are buying/collecting in the increasingly large prog world these days... I'm already learning about bands I didn't know about!

Facebook haters, cranky curmudgeons, "That's-not-prog"-ers and general naysayers are politely asked to ignore this.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/483083355182549/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Facebook h8r here. I won't be seeing you there

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Understood. Facebook isn't for everyone. I like the simplicity and use of it for this purpose however... a few PE'ers have joined, thanks to those folks!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Killer group. Admin ain't half bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Understood. Facebook isn't for everyone. I like the simplicity and use of it for this purpose however... a few PE'ers have joined, thanks to those folks!
    I'm pretty new to Facebook and I've set up a "fake" account primarily for getting news on new music releases. I've found that Facebook pages are updated much quicker than official websites and online 'zines. I have no interest in using it to connect with old classmates, religious nut job family members, etc. I clicked the join button for your group.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I'm pretty new to Facebook and I've set up a "fake" account primarily for getting news on new music releases. I've found that Facebook pages are updated much quicker than official websites and online 'zines. I have no interest in using it to connect with old classmates, religious nut job family members, etc. I clicked the join button for your group.
    Totally agreed... no interest in what that girl from grade two is now doing with her life, nor do I need my family to know everything I'm doing. Apart from sharing the odd funny picture or what have you, I use Facebook almost entirely for the music and band pages. And with "Prog Collectors", I just created the group I wanted to see. It's nothing but fun for me.

Gee, ya think anyone here cares or will be disappointed?

Can I "that's not prog" you here before you go??

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Can I "that's not prog" you here before you go??
    Have at you!

Speaking of which, I should post some Glass Hammer in the group soon!

Sweet

Can't believe some guy posted XTC in a prog group today. What a jerk!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Boy, I'll say!

You are not showing up at the moment... is your account in maintenance or something?

Boy, I'll say!

You are not showing up at the moment... is your account in maintenance or something?
    I turn off my Facebook now and then. I'll probably be on and off for a few days!

Ditto. I don't use Facebook.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Facebook haters, cranky curmudgeons, "That's-not-prog"-ers and general naysayers are politely asked to ignore this.
    I'm a cranky curmudgeon and I generally say "nay", but I do both on Facebook.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    wait until I rub your nose into my Arcturus-Arcturian book...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

You anti Facebook people don't know what you're missing. I'm discussing Secret Chiefs 3 with two guys from Ut Gret. Awesome.

Hey, I just signed up, membership pending, see you soon I hope!

I'm in..thanks!
    Last edited by gpeccary; 07-03-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Just sent my join request.

I'm hesitant to post any prog autographs and other prog memorabilia in the group. Doesn't seem like anyone really does that in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I'm hesitant to post any prog autographs and other prog memorabilia in the group. Doesn't seem like anyone really does that in there.
    Just curious, why not?

I'll check it out. Always interested in looking at collectibles.

Our PE Facebook site is pretty much a spam repository. It's been somewhat quiet lately. A couple of the more relentless posters have been throttled back or just banned. We had some bozo that posted about his weekly radio show about ten times a week and refused to take a hint. Banned. And a lot of the foreign Dream Theater wannabes have given up after their posts have gotten "likes" only from fellow band members. Now we're under assault by a bunch of dickwads from North Africa who apparently are in some lame contest to join as many Facebook groups as possible. Whenever they're let in they post offensive non-music crap or links to malware. I just block their asses when they apply for membership. It's tedious but at least it keeps the page clean. One good thing, having a FB PE page keeps the spam off of PE. A lot of the beggars and poseurs have no idea the main site even exists.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I did! Then I ran out of autographs to post.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Gee, ya think anyone here cares or will be disappointed?
    I am disappointed. I cannot share my lunch photos with him...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

The group is going well. Any autographed prog memorabilia is perfectly welcome! I've seen some pretty great stuff over the last few weeks, and as Ian says, the motto should be "Not Safe For Wallet"! All are welcome, whether the curious or the hardcore collector. You want to post a massive collection of obscure LPs, go ahead... you want to pull one CD off the shelf because you were reminded of it, and post that for further discussion? By all means. It's no competition.... but there is the occasional jealous barb tossed out, mostly by me. (The Cybotron collection that was posted recently made me seriously drool.)

There's been a couple of instances with the influx of new members where people are simply posting stock photos from the web, Youtube links or spam/ads for their radio shows. I nip those in the bud when I see them, because I do NOT want my little collectors group to become some wasteland of junk links that nobody looks at anyway. There are thousands of pages out there full of that shit as it is. Most people are pretty good about it though.

Thanks to those who have joined from here! I really enjoy it.