Thread: Ornette Coleman Dead @ 85

Ornette Coleman Dead @ 85

While reading the Moog Story on another thread, I found this article...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/ar...-obituary.html

Yep, just heard this on NPR. I thought maybe I was going to be the first to post it. I guess not. Anyway, RIP Ornette. I think my dad had the Song X album with Pat Metheny back when. I remember it sounding like noise. I don't remember much about it. I recognize that he was important in the history of jazz though.

I thought he died a long time ago

RIP Ornette
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Like Cecil Taylor and others, Ornette scared me when I began to study jazz in the 70's. That has turned to a warm fondness for his Atlantic recordings which make complete sense and sound pretty tame to me now.

By the time Dancing in Your Head came out I was all in. I loved the New York avant scene and the new wave bands like Pop Group and A Certain Ratio that Ornette inspired. I wish I would have seen him live in the early 60's...

Once met Don Cherry. I was so excited, I was babbling all about jazz and him and Ornette. All he wanted to do was thank me for displaying (his daughter's?/niece's?) Neneh Cherry's poster in my shop window.