Thread: New Richard Thompson album - Still - streaming now

New Richard Thompson album - Still - streaming now

US:
    http://www.npr.org/2015/06/07/412042...thompson-still

Canada:
    http://music.cbc.ca/#!/First-Play/bl...Thompson-Still

UK and ROW:
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...e-album-stream

I'm about half way through, tunes and playing are solid as ever. Nothing ground breaking, but new RT tunes are always welcome.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I look forward to this, i heard a song on the radio a couple weeks ago, damn fine. I was even more jazzed when i found out Jeff Tweedy was producing this since i'm a big Wilco fan as well as liking his production work (Mavis & Pop's Staples). Plus it's kind of cool - us St Louisans claim Tweedy as one of our own.

Best thing he's done in years, sez me. Can't wait to see him for FREE on Friday!!

Suspended
    Time for a moratorium on albums entitled Still, methinks.

It's not a dealbreaker, obviously, and the music's the important thing - but honestly, how hard is it to come up with an album title that hasn't been used before?

Thanks for posting this. It is a nice record, and a good sound for RT. He ceased to be an auto-buy artist for me after a few of those overproduced "modern" rock albums of the late 90s/early 00s. I might take the plunge back in with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    He ceased to be an auto-buy artist for me after a few of those overproduced "modern" rock albums of the late 90s/early 00s.
    Those are my favorite ones!

RT is my only auto-buy artist. I agree that Electric was his best in years...looking forward to Still!

I listened to my copy of Electric last night. It's a great sounding record with some good songs, but maybe not any great ones? Will give the new one a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I listened to my copy of Electric last night. It's a great sounding record with some good songs, but maybe not any great ones? Will give the new one a shot.
    I personally found Electric to be one of his weaker efforts in recent years. I agree that the 90's / 2000's are Thompson at his finest, with Sweet Warrior being my favorite, probably. I might accuse him of overproducing his stuff in the mid 80s (Daring Adventures), but there's nothing over produced about Mock Tudor at all.

Daring Adventures doesn't sound overproduced to my ears. I kinda miss all of the other instrumental sounds he used on those earlier albums that give them a very Scottish flavor. And I always liked the sound of Amnesia as well. The subsequent albums definitely bear the mark of Mitchell Froom's heavy influence. My interest starting waning after Mirror Blue. I guess I overdosed on Rumour & Sigh. Anyway, I'm about 6 songs into this new one, and it sounds pretty good, but it's not gonna get me excited like I was 28 years ago.

RT never fails to release worthy records. As the adjective implies, they can be pretty dull - but he still manages to pull a winner every now and then (The Old Kit Bag being his most recent IMO - bloody marvellous).

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I think that Electric got closer to The Old Kit Bag than anything else since it. I agree that I'm not sure if there are any RT classics on it, but that's a pretty high bar. "The Snow Goose" comes close.

I've got Electric, but only played it a couple of times. Nothing jumped out at me the way 'A Love You Can't Survive' did. But as you say, it's a high bar. That song in particular is just stunning.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Time for a moratorium on albums entitled Still, methinks.

It's not a dealbreaker, obviously, and the music's the important thing - but honestly, how hard is it to come up with an album title that hasn't been used before?
    If it's the title that Thompson thinks best expresses what the music is about, then why shouldn't he use it? Sorry, but it's not as if anyone has ownership of words (well, mostly!), and I'm sure Thompson didn't go looking to see how many albums were called Stll; he just chose what worked for him..and, at least IMO, that's all that matters.that and, of course, the music, and I think RT has been on a real roll the last few years, not that he's ever put out a bad album. His best albums are transcendent; his worst are still very, very good. He is one of those rare musicians who is unfailingly consistent in fact, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I might accuse him of overproducing his stuff in the mid 80s (Daring Adventures),
    Blame Mitchell Froom, who began working with him then and did his next few.

I'm a fan of his entire career, but thinks us early days with Linds still stand out as his absolute best. Bright Lights through First Light, with the possible exception of Sunnyvista, are all superlative albums.

It's amazing how different our opinions on RT can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    Those are my favorite ones!

RT is my only auto-buy artist. I agree that Electric was his best in years...looking forward to Still!
    Same here, well apart from the comments on Electric, which I thought was good, but not quite up to the dizzy heights of Dream Attic. As regards this album, it's nice to know that it's available to stream and all, but I'm going to wait until I return to the UK on the 26th, and then luxuriate in the cd on a decent sound system at the family pile. Can't wait!!

It's amazing how different our opinions on RT can be!
    +1000
    Frankly my favorite RT albums are the Mitchell Froom records (especially Rumor and Sigh) but i always put the content ahead of production and RT never disappoints.
    It will be interesting to see what Tweedy brings to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    +1000
    Frankly my favorite RT albums are the Mitchell Froom records (especially Rumor and Sigh) but i always put the content ahead of production and RT never disappoints.
    It will be interesting to see what Tweedy brings to the table.
    Big fan of Rumor and Sigh, Mirror Blue, You Me Us. That's the golden era of RT for me. I like pretty much all of it, though.

Big fan of Rumor and Sigh, Mirror Blue, You Me Us. That's the golden era of RT for me. I like pretty much all of it, though.
    I remember the first time I heard "I Feel So Good" on Rumour & Sigh. I thought to myself, this song is so damn catchy and irresistible, it's got to get some airplay and become a hit. Then he sang that line about the "half naked woman with her tongue down my throat". Oh well, he came close.

Haha, knowing him he did it on purpose ...

Saw him at an outdoor festival for FREE the other night. Played several tracks from the new album and played enough incendiary guitar solos he scared the predicted storm away.

I'll just say that even though I've been leaving the new stream alone in advance of seeing him on Thurs, all these comments are most encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    If it's the title that Thompson thinks best expresses what the music is about, then why shouldn't he use it? Sorry, but it's not as if anyone has ownership of words (well, mostly!), and I'm sure Thompson didn't go looking to see how many albums were called Stll; he just chose what worked for him..and, at least IMO, that's all that matters.that and, of course, the music, and I think RT has been on a real roll the last few years, not that he's ever put out a bad album. His best albums are transcendent; his worst are still very, very good. He is one of those rare musicians who is unfailingly consistent in fact, I think.
    What he said
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Not familiar with any other albums called Still, yet I can think of several called Still Life.

Not familiar with any other albums called Still, yet I can think of several called Still Life.
    Pete Sinfield's solo album was called Still. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been used quite often as an album title, even if I can't name any others off the top of my head.