Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rank Your Top Five All-Time Prog Bands.

I haven't really counted every contribution, but my impression is that Genesis and Gentle Giant (a bit behind though) are really the usual suspects....

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog666 View Post
    Opeth
    Yes
    King Crimson
    Pink Floyd
    Porcupine Tree

Honorable Mention:
    Snarky Puppy
    Jethro Tull
    Dream Theater
    The Moody Blues
    Genesis with Peter G.
    I'm not quite ready to put Opeth in my top 5 as they've really only had 3 "prog" albums to their credit. If their next release is anything like Pale Communion (my album of 2014), then they certainly will be advancing in the rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I'm not quite ready to put Opeth in my top 5 as they've really only had 3 "prog" albums to their credit. If their next release is anything like Pale Communion (my album of 2014), then they certainly will be advancing in the rankings.
    Well, I don't agree with your premise of only 3 "prog" albums to their credit. Every album they have put out has "prog" in their music. PA has them listed as Tech/Extreme Prog Metal. Just because their last three have been a different style of "prog" doesn't exclude them from being "prog" past, present and future. Unless of course you are a purist and everything "prog" has to sound similar to Yes and Genesis. And there are the purist metal heads who have abandoned them because they are more "prog" than metal. I still hear metal, dark and menacing at times, from their last three. I refuse to put the definition of metal or "prog" in a box to fit a certain paradigm set up by others. This is just my humble opinion of course. Also just to make myself clear. I listen to music I like. I don't listen to music I don't like. Those are my two personal genres. I like Opeth no matter what genre people put them in. Thus they make my list. It doesn't bother me at all if they don't make your list or fit your criteria to get on your list. Happy listening.

I do agree with you in that I listen to music that I like and don't listen to music that I don't like, and that sort of describes the Opeth of their first 6 albums that I don't like verses the Opeth of their last three that I do like. The others in between when the band was making the leap from what I call "Death Metal" to Prog are on the fence and need further listening.

A friend of mine tells a good story of when he went to see Porcupine Tree and Opeth was the opening act. He had heard Opeth (the earlier stuff) and was not looking forward to it, but his wanting to see PT trumped his not liking Opeth so he went. There were two distinct crowds at the show and you could tell by what they wore, who they had come to see. Well when Opeth started playing he realized from some of the comments from the metal heads that they were playing their new style and they were not happy. Most of them left after 3 songs and he found that the PT fans were really getting into Opeth's music. And I don't think that Opeth sounds anything like Yes or Genesis. The main thing is we both really enjoy Opeth and Pale Communion is in heavy rotation on my laptop.

Suspended
    ^^ Wow. If Porcupine Tree HAD to share billing with someone, I find it hard to think of anyone more suitable than Opeth - provided they avoided the growl vocals.

Opeth sound nothing like Yes or genesis. They sometimes sound a little like Porcupine Tree - or it would be more accurate to say that PT sometimes sound a little like them, because PT sound different from one song to the next.

Well Jack and Bob, it seems we basically agree on most everything. I do agree Opeth and Porcupine Tree sound nothing like Yes and Genesis. And PT sounding different from one song to the next is one of the reasons I like them. Same with Wilson's solo adventures. I was using Y & G as examples to make a point that there are certain folks out there who think if it doesn't sound like Yes or Genesis or elements there of, then it's not prog. Thankfully you guys don't fit into that camp. Whew!

I never specifically mentioned I enjoy Pale Communion though. But you are right. Plus I lean towards the possibility it might be my favorite Opeth album. The verdict is still out however. Wish I could have been at the PT/Opeth show. That would have been interesting. I have been able to see them during the last few years. Both put on great shows. I sure would like PT to give us another album. But, I'm beginning to have some doubts.

Yes (through Going for the One)
    King Crimson (All)
    Gentle Giant (All but Giant for a Day)
    Genesis (through Wind & Wuthering)
    EL&P (EL&P, Trilogy, BSS)

Honorable Mention: The first two Flash albums

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog666 View Post
    Well Jack and Bob, it seems we basically agree on most everything. I do agree Opeth and Porcupine Tree sound nothing like Yes and Genesis. And PT sounding different from one song to the next is one of the reasons I like them. Same with Wilson's solo adventures. I was using Y & G as examples to make a point that there are certain folks out there who think if it doesn't sound like Yes or Genesis or elements there of, then it's not prog. Thankfully you guys don't fit into that camp. Whew!

I never specifically mentioned I enjoy Pale Communion though. But you are right. Plus I lean towards the possibility it might be my favorite Opeth album. The verdict is still out however. Wish I could have been at the PT/Opeth show. That would have been interesting. I have been able to see them during the last few years. Both put on great shows. I sure would like PT to give us another album. But, I'm beginning to have some doubts.
    It seems like Wilson is so busy editing everybody else's stuff that he has little time for PT.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    It seems like Wilson is so busy editing everybody else's stuff that he has little time for PT.
    He's busy remixing the entire prog catalogue. But I don't think that's the reason PT are on indefinite hiatus, I think it's just that he felt as though he was getting into a musical rut and needed to go solo in order to progress. He has said as much in interviews.

Re Opeth: I really liked both Damnation and Heritage, but I have not yet made up my mind about Pale Communion.

If Opeth did perform again on the same bill as PT or SW, I'd be very miffed if Steven and Mikhail did not get up together and perform at least one song from Storm Corrosion - probably the title track.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    He's busy remixing the entire prog catalogue. But I don't think that's the reason PT are on indefinite hiatus, I think it's just that he felt as though he was getting into a musical rut and needed to go solo in order to progress. He has said as much in interviews.

Re Opeth: I really liked both Damnation and Heritage, but I have not yet made up my mind about Pale Communion.

If Opeth did perform again on the same bill as PT or SW, I'd be very miffed if Steven and Mikhail did not get up together and perform at least one song from Storm Corrosion - probably the title track.
    Bob I hope that you keep listening to Pale Communion and it clicks for you. I'm that way about Heritage, I bought it and I'm waiting for it to really grab me. I was happy to see that Pale Communion made a lot of reviewers top 5 lists last year, so it sort of gave me a little street cred. with my audiophile buddies.

Rank Your Top Five All-Time Prog Bands.

1) Kansas
    2) Gentle Giant
    3) Nektar
    4) Willowglass

And for 5 it's a tough choice between Camel, Anathema, Circus Maximus, Gravy Train, Jethro Tull and Symphony X, depending on my mood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes
    Rush
    Flower Kings
    Transatlantic
    IQ
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...