Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What bands have too few live albums?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    A live Kraftwerk track, circa 1975, turned up in my shuffle sequence recently. I'm thinking that an official live Kraftwerk album from that period is never going to happen, not in a million years.
    I was nearly going to mention Kraftwerk as a joke.

From what i have heard, even their actual concerts had so much of the action performed by computer that is was hard to tell what was real-time and what was pre-programmed. On one occasion they ended the show by walking off stage in the middle of the song, leaving their computerised synthesisers to finish playing the song.

I don't remember the band Boston ever has done an official live album. One of my favorite bands Manic Street Preachers has never done an official live album that I am aware of (they do have a live DVD).

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Ava inferi, with a total of zero despite a rather frequent performing schedule during their duration.

The closest to it is Nader Sadek's Living Flesh, a New York concert which featured Rune on guitar and Carmen handling some vocals.
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 06-09-2015 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Kinkade-the other milk toast
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Eccentric Orbit. I was really impressed with their live sound in Boston last fall.
    <sig out of order>

My personal wants:

Led Zeppelin - a boxset of the best of Earls Court (1975)
    Pink Floyd - a show from the Dark Side, Wish Your Were Here, and Animals tours
    Alice Cooper - a live show from the original Alice Cooper Group
    Styx - a show from the Grand Illusion tour
    Van Halen - live material from the original Roth era
    Jimi Hendrix - 2/24/69 Royal Albert Hall
    Sweet - something from the mid 70s

Plus several others I can't think of right now.....

The Hendrix Royal Albert Hall show was filmed and that hasn't seen a DVD release (I don't recall ever seeing a VHS release either). Whilst the performance has 'done the rounds' on lots of budget labels, it deserves proper presentation. I think the version of 'Little Wing' there is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    My personal wants:

Alice Cooper - a live show from the original Alice Cooper Group
    Get the 2-CD deluxe edition of Billion Dollar Babies. The second CD is mostly a concert from that tour.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Eccentric Orbit. I was really impressed with their live sound in Boston last fall.
    With two albums released a decade apart you might be being a little overly hopeful. Indeed they were outstanding in Boston last fall. Looking forward to seeing them at ProgDay.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've got some decent sounding boots from the Animals tour that I play now and then but wow, I'd love to get a professional recording of just one of those shows. Or a full show from WYWH.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've got some decent sounding boots from the Animals tour that I play now and then but wow, I'd love to get a professional recording of just one of those shows. Or a full show from WYWH.
    I have the live stuff they released as bonus tracks on the recent remasters, those are great.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    With two albums released a decade apart you might be being a little overly hopeful. Indeed they were outstanding in Boston last fall. Looking forward to seeing them at ProgDay.
    A prog fan can dream, no?
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    A prog fan can dream, no?
    Of course, I'm personally dreaming of a Univers Zero DVD, Uz Jsme Doma touring the USA & a Sleepytime Gorilla Museum reunion
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    Jade Warrior... 17 studio albums, not even one live.
    Well, that might have something to do with the fact that they never played live!

I want a Gryphon live album. They've released some BBC sessions, but never a genuine live album, either from the '70s or from their reunion concerts.

Elvis Costello!! Does he have any?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Elvis Costello!! Does he have any?
    Several, including Live at the El Mocambo and Live at Hollywood High, both recorded in 1978; the box set of live EPs by Costello and Steve Nieve; My Flame Burns Blue from 2004; and the 2011 CD + DVD set The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I was nearly going to mention Kraftwerk as a joke.

From what i have heard, even their actual concerts had so much of the action performed by computer that is was hard to tell what was real-time and what was pre-programmed. On one occasion they ended the show by walking off stage in the middle of the song, leaving their computerised synthesisers to finish playing the song.
    And then there's Robots, where they leave the stage and a quartet of robots "play" the song. I actually saw an interview on Youtube, where this English woman interviewed the Ralf-bot, because apparently the real Ralf Hutter "doesn't do interviews". THey were playing at a velodrome somewhere in the UK, and I gather the Kraftwerk guys are bicycling fanatics. When Ralf-bot was asked if they intend to do any biking at the velodrome, his response was, "We can not do this. We have to play a soundcheck!".

I believe it was Tangerine Dream I read who used to do that too, ie leaving the stage while the sequencers kept going. And on a slightly related note, when I saw King Crimson back in 1995, the last encore was Walking On Air, and at the end of the song, the band stopped playing, but Fripp's Harmonizer loop kept going for several minutes while all six of them came to the front of the stage, took their bows, then exited the stage. I think the loop finally faded out a minute or two later.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I don't remember the band Boston ever has done an official live album.
    There's about four reasons that a Boston live album would interesting:
    1. Extended version of More Than A Feeling (with power chords intro and extended instrumental coda)
    2. Extended version of Hollyann (with extended organ and guitar solos)
    3. Shattered Images (unreleased song that was played on the 78 tour)
    4. Television Politician (unreleased song played on the 77, 78 and 88 tours)

Oh yeah, and that blues song they did on the King Biscuit thing, and if you really need to hear it, there's Scholz's unaccompanied guitar solo, where he does all the two handed tapping stuff and ends with a bunch of Echoplexed space ship noises (yes, Tommy Boy, we've heard Tommy Bolin too). And if there was a good enough recording from the 88 tour, it might be nice to have the guitar solo/Don't Look Back itself/The Launch/Cool The Engines suite that was played on that tour.

The problem with Boston is, with maybe the exception of the King Biscuit thing from 78 (I think it was from 78), I'm not sure how often Brad Delp and his deputies were able to pull off those vocal harmonies onstage. I know I've heard a few recordings where the intonation in the vocal department is more than just a bit iffy. Of course, back in 1988, let's say, Tommy Boy could have taken any live show back into the studio and had Brad beef up the vocals, no problem. Obviously that can't happen now without the assistance of a good necromancer (and I imagine Byron Orpheus is unavailable).

Of course, Tommy Boy probably would be driven up the wall by every little instance of a given drum fill, guitar note or whatever and didn't sound exactly perfect, so he'd insist on overdubbing everythign else, as well.

Of course, I'm personally dreaming of a Univers Zero DVD, Uz Jsme Doma touring the USA & a Sleepytime Gorilla Museum reunion
    Uh, Uz Jesme Doma has toured the US, at least once. I saw them at some crappy club over on the west side of Cleveland. Home And Garden (featuring Scott Krause of Pere Ubu fame) and a Devo tribute band led by Mark Mothersbaugh's cousin were the openers.

I know they've played the USA, but I didn't know them then.
    Ian

We should all dream as well as you do. I know I could add a few more bands to that list.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

The problem with Boston is, with maybe the exception of the King Biscuit thing from 78 (I think it was from 78), I'm not sure how often Brad Delp and his deputies were able to pull off those vocal harmonies onstage. I know I've heard a few recordings where the intonation in the vocal department is more than just a bit iffy. Of course, back in 1988, let's say, Tommy Boy could have taken any live show back into the studio and had Brad beef up the vocals, no problem. Obviously that can't happen now without the assistance of a good necromancer (and I imagine Byron Orpheus is unavailable).

Of course, Tommy Boy probably would be driven up the wall by every little instance of a given drum fill, guitar note or whatever and didn't sound exactly perfect, so he'd insist on overdubbing everythign else, as well.
    Maybe he could Autotune the vocals to his satisfaction.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The Hendrix Royal Albert Hall show was filmed and that hasn't seen a DVD release (I don't recall ever seeing a VHS release either). Whilst the performance has 'done the rounds' on lots of budget labels, it deserves proper presentation. I think the version of 'Little Wing' there is stunning.
    I know that this show is involved in some legal mumbo jumbo. I actually have the show of bootleg DVD, it would be great to see an official release. The version of Little Wing is incredible, it was actually released on the original vinyl of In The West. The producer purposely mislabeled the show info (if I recall, I think the original liner notes said it was from San Diego) in order to get that performance on the record. FYI the CD re-release of In The West has a different version of Little Wing.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    I know that this show is involved in some legal mumbo jumbo. I actually have the show of bootleg DVD, it would be great to see an official release. The version of Little Wing is incredible, it was actually released on the original vinyl of In The West. The producer purposely mislabeled the show info (if I recall, I think the original liner notes said it was from San Diego) in order to get that performance on the record. FYI the CD re-release of In The West has a different version of Little Wing.
    Indeed a GREAT performance. One of his absolute best from the Experience. Top versions of several songs, IMO. The video is pretty crappy, IMO. Too much footage of everything but Jimi's guitar, which was a common problem with how shows were filmed back then. Hopefully, there's some alternate footage, but I doubt it.

Add one more vote for The Beatles. There are plenty of high-quality recordings that would make a great set. I would LOVE to see a live anthology, beginning with the 12/62 Star Club material and ending on the Apple rooftop. And, some of the aforementioned BBC recordings, were, in fact, recorded live in front of an audience. I could easily fill two discs.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Is this the version of Little Wing you're talking about? It is pretty fab - I might have to track the audio boot down

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

[QUOTE=Mister Triscuits;418603]Well, that might have something to do with the fact that they never played live!

That's a popular misconception. They did play live early on -when they were on Vertigo and had a singer- and again in 2008 when they brought out 'Now".

http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior/astoria.html