Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What bands have too few live albums?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Pink Floyd started to redress the balance in the CD era. There's the 'Is There Anybody Out There' release, and most of their Wembley 1974 show is on the deluxe DSOTM/WYWH releases. But their BBC sessions should be out there, and it's a sad truth that there also appears to be *no* professional film of the band between 1973-7.
    Apart from the live Ummagumma disc, there is no official live document predating DSotM album, so IMO they have not even started to redress the balance. However, given the typical stance of stadium rock stars who downplay their early phase I would not expect any change in the nearest future.

It remains scandalous that The Rolling Stones' 'Brussels Affair' from 1973 is not on a mass-market CD.
    The most affordable official bet for the moment is this one:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/GQBS-90009

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    ELO -- in their 70s heydey period they only had one early in their career, and it was released in the UK and not the USA
    It came out on Harvest which is an import in the USA. It could be found at specialty record shops back in the day. If it was USA, it would have came out on United Artists and Jet later on. I didnt like it.........Still, you would think that after the grandiose Out Of The Blue spaceship tour, a live album would have been released.
    There have been some additional live releases on CD, like Live at Winterland '76 or Live at Wembley '78.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    The Strawbs have several live acoustic albums out and one from the electric line-up at Nearfest but maybe one or two from the Rick Wakeman or Blue Weaver line ups (not counting the Live at Chiswick recording). Would love to hear live stuff from the late 60s/early 70s band.
    Here is your chance:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-a...n-mw0002021789
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-a...2-mw0002063059

Quote Originally Posted by BigSixFan View Post
    Elton John when Goodbye Yellow Brick Road came out.
    Super deluxe edition of GYBR contains two-disc worth Live at Hammersmith Odeon 1973.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodbye...ion_.282014.29

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    A live late-era Tull album (post-Stormwatch) would have been nice
    Not official, but easily available at online stores:

http://www.discogs.com/Jethro-Tull-L...elease/4497166

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The Who are really lacking something from the early 70s. I'd love to have heard them do Quadrophenia (even though that tour was plagued by technical problems).
    The tapes of Largo and Spectrum gigs from 1973 have surfaced a few years ago in great sound.

The sections of the 1973 Rainbow gig on the Archive box had Gabriel's arbitrary overdubs on a few sections in 'Supper's Ready'.
    Once again, a typical mega stadium star approach: "we do not release anything from early years, but if we do we post-process it to meet more casual audience's expectations". Hence overdubs (Genesis), compression (Queen) and scissors (Led Zeppelin).

Thankfully the aforementioned Rainbow gig is now easily obtainable without any overdubs also in a physical format:

http://www.douglarsonimports.com/gen...ow-1973-2-cds/

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Very few bands have too few live albums. Many have too many.
    You never have too many live documents from a good band at its prime, providing that you dig live recordings.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 06-08-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    What about Uriah Heep? That one from their peak era (Demons And Wizards/Magician's Birthday) doesn't have their earlier epic Salisbury on it ....
    No, and with good reason, Live 73 includes 2 other early 10 minute plus epics, Gypsy and July Morning, both of which are far better tracks than the 16 minute Salisbury, and both far more popular with audiences. Also, I'm pretty sure they rarely if ever played Salisbury live again after about 1971.

Not enough live-albums:
    Hoelderlin, Pekka Pohjola, Kraan, Streetmark, Grobschnitt, Triumvirat

Too many live-albums
    Rush, Asia (some bad quality)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Apart from the live Ummagumma disc, there is no official live document predating DSotM album.
    Though not an album per se, Live At Pompeii is just about as fine as you can get
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I must be getting old. I have those two and completely forgot about them. Thank you for the reminder; I would have bought them again.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Too many:

Iron Maiden
    Neil Young

One live album per artist is enough in my book
    ELO Part II had too many
    Very few bands have too few live albums.

Many have too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Too many live-albums
    Rush, Asia (some bad quality)
    I need help on this - how does an artist have too many live albums? It doesn't make sense. How is it possible?

If they put one out that you're not interested in, don't buy it. You're not forced to buy it.

Basically, if an artist doesn't have a live recording of every tour or major show, they don't have enough live material.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I need help on this - how does an artist have too many live albums? It doesn't make sense. How is it possible?

If they put one out that you're not interested in, don't buy it. You're not forced to buy it.

Basically, if an artist doesn't have a live recording of every tour or major show, they don't have enough live material.
    I can't speak for the other members to whom you are addressing the question, but in my case I am just not a fan of the live-album idea. I don't mind hearing claps and whistles if I am there at the concert clapping and whistling as well, but i don't want to hear it in my lounge room.

I make exceptions only for albums like Elton john - Live In Australia, on which many of the songs are almost re-imagined, with the help of a symphony orchestra.

I have the boot of Elton John at Hammersmith. Elton's voice is a little fried in places which he admits in the show but it still is probably the definitive live performance of him at his peak. That expanded GYBR which now has the concert is selling for over fifty bucks on Amazon and contains a worthless disc of other artists covering Elton, plus a DVD of Elton and Bernie reminiscing. I love Elton from this era but not enough to pay a huge premium for all that extraneous junk. They probably brick-walled the original album as well.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Too many:

Iron Maiden
    Neil Young

Both up around the 7- 9 mark.

Too few:
    no one.

One live album per artist is enough in my book

If you meant "live albums" in the strict 70/80s sense of the word (double albums with live tracks culled from numerous shows, performances cleaned up in the studio, and then released more or less as a best-of) then I fully agree that one is enough. Possibly more than enough. But if we're talking about complete shows or sets, I don't know if there *can* be enough - for bands worth their salt as real bands, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [Having said that, I think a Thinking Plague live album would be great too.]

There already is one. It's called "Upon both your houses" and represents their Nearfest performance.
    Oh? Wow, missed that one. Well I want it then

One of my all time favorite bands, Tribal Tech made 10 studio albums but never put out a live one. There's a few complete concerts on YT, but there was never an official DVD, let alone an album.

For the most part, I'm only interested in live albums from bands that either utilize a fair share of improvisation or drastically rearrange their material for their live shows (Gentle Giant wins in that category). Bands that reproduce their studio albums verbatim when they play live don't interest me much. I might want to hear their live album once, but I own very few albums of that sort.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    For the most part, I'm only interested in live albums from bands that either utilize a fair share of improvisation or drastically rearrange their material for their live shows (Gentle Giant wins in that category). Bands that reproduce their studio albums verbatim when they play live don't interest me much.
    That's why I liked EltonJohn LIA.

I also have Bob Lind live album, recorded at what I assume is a fairly intimate venue, and that is as much for the enjoyable between-song banter as for the songs themselves. (The other reason to own it is that Lind is not exactly guilty of over-prolificacity.)

too few: Foghat (saw them twice in person; they were much better onstage than on studio recordings).
    The Doors 67-69. Some great stuff on bootlegs, but only 1 official live album from '68

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Though not an album per se, Live At Pompeii is just about as fine as you can get
    No it's not. It's not bad, but it's not as good as it could have been. They should have filmed them doing their entire regular setlist of the era (including stuff like Atom Heart Mother, Fat Old Sun, Embryo, and Green Is The Colour).

If you ask me, a much better video document of Pink Floyd is the KQED video, which still remains unreleased.

Is there a live Savoy Brown with Chris Youlden? I've got the Hellbound Train Live compilation but it's got a few different lineups and the sound is often shoddy. I'd rather hear a full show with Chris on vocals.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Too few? Kate Bush. Yeah, I suppose the number of live releases is just about proportionate to live appearances, so maybe the lack of those is really what I'm complaining about.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    If you meant "live albums" in the strict 70/80s sense of the word (double albums with live tracks culled from numerous shows, performances cleaned up in the studio, and then released more or less as a best-of) then I fully agree that one is enough. Possibly more than enough. But if we're talking about complete shows or sets, I don't know if there *can* be enough - for bands worth their salt as real bands, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    For the most part, I'm only interested in live albums from bands that either utilize a fair share of improvisation or drastically rearrange their material for their live shows... Bands that reproduce their studio albums verbatim when they play live don't interest me much. I might want to hear their live album once, but I own very few albums of that sort.
    Well said, well said indeed. Make every show different and I'll be happy to follow along, live or on record. Make it a paint-by-numbers affair where it's obvious what to expect, and it'll be something I might enjoy in person but don't see a need for otherwise. (Usually. The size of Marillion's live catalogue seems downright preposterous for a band that takes the "recreate the studio recording" approach, but they make such a magical live experience that an album still makes a worthwhile souvenir for those interested. Maybe I'd still see them any number of times and buy a bunch of live discs with similar arrangements because I just love those songs so much, while a lifelong total of one Rush show and zero of their live albums is plenty for me. I'd bet there are any number of others out there who'd say the same thing with the names reversed.)

The other factor is the non-visual one. AFaIC Peter Gabriel justifies a live video for practically every tour. Audio-only live albums, not so much.

That's why I liked EltonJohn LIA.
    I thought Elton did just fine with 17-11-70 and Live in Australia; both sets of material quite different from the originals in very different ways.

Is there a live Savoy Brown with Chris Youlden? I've got the Hellbound Train Live compilation but it's got a few different lineups and the sound is often shoddy. I'd rather hear a full show with Chris on vocals.
    Hellbound Train Live is a great compilation of various early line-ups, most in very good sound except for the handful of earliest tracks featuring Chris Youlden. Unfortunately it is everything we have for the moment on silver discs and it is a real shame since the Chris-fronted lineup was exceptional.

There are some decent live recordings circulating on Internet like Kinetic Playground, Chicago 1969, Connecticut College 1969, Ludlow Garage, Cincinnati, Feb 1 1970 and Fillmore East, Aug 28 1970, but for the moment nobody has been interested to look up the low-gen sources for a proper release.

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=2274
    http://haystackpudding.com/MP3/dabf4e6d.html

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    too few: Foghat (saw them twice in person; they were much better onstage than on studio recordings).
    The Doors 67-69. Some great stuff on bootlegs, but only 1 official live album from '68
    Foghat has quite a few live releases. I have "Live", "Road Cases" and "Live II". I know they have a King Biscuit live one and I think a couple of others as well. I agree they were much better live than in the studio.

A Step Further is half live (B-side if memory serrves)... Though I prefer the studio side

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Hellbound Train Live is a great compilation of various early line-ups, most in very good sound except for the handful of earliest tracks featuring Chris Youlden. Unfortunately it is everything we have for the moment on silver discs and it is a real shame since the Chris-fronted lineup was exceptional.
    MMMmhhh!!!... the Chicken Shack era of SB is unfortunately not as good as the Foghat era SB (IMHO)... If Street Corner Talking was amost as good as the previous incarnation, Hellbound Train was disappointing (only the two long tracks are great, the rest is best forgotten), though to be fair, Lion's Share was a return to form.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Spooky Tooth... nine albums in their career, all studio. Only recently, with the box set, was a live concert from 1973 released.
    Jade Warrior... 17 studio albums, not even one live.

It's also strange that Can, well known for the improvisatory qualities of their performances, never issued a live album during their lifetime and the ones released afterwards are mostly bootleg quality.

I would love a live album from Magic Pie. They do now have 4 albums to draw from.

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

ELO Part II has more live albums than studio albums of original material....For me, thats too many

although, I own them all and like them, Whitesnake possibly have too many live albums in recent days. They even keep re-issuing their albums with live bonus tracks, too.

Library Jon

A live Kraftwerk track, circa 1975, turned up in my shuffle sequence recently. I'm thinking that an official live Kraftwerk album from that period is never going to happen, not in a million years.