Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PROLIFICACY & lack thereof

Robert Pollard (over 5000 songs registered with BMI)
    R. Stevie Moore (over 400 albums released, mostly on cassette)
    Frank Zappa (of course)
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Who takes the gold cup for the greatest number of original tracks on the greatest number of albums over the shortest period of time?
    Sun Ra
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

The issue of double/triple albums is a difficult one. Sandanista by the Clash had 36 tracks alone (not all original), however, Double Nickels on the Dime by The Minutemen had 43 and 69 Love Songs by The Magnetic Fields had ... well, take a guess.

Its also about quality control though. You can bang through and album or more every year for years, but there's few artists that can maintain a consistently high standard for much of it. PeterG's first post regarding the Ramones is one of the rare instances of a short burst of activity where almost every track is a gem.

80s American hardcore outfit Husker Du had a short, but intense recording career which included five proper albums (between 84 and 87) in about four years, book-ended by two doubles, adding up to 82 tracks ... only about two or three of which i would bother to skip over on CD. This doesn't include B-sides, non-album singles etc.

Good call on Husker Du, Warehouse, Zen Arcade and Candy Apple Grey are favourites of mine that I need to spin again soon.

The Clash cannot be faulted on those early albums with the possible exception of Give 'Em Enough Rope, but that was more the production values than the songs, and London Calling (double) and Sandinista (triple) are both so adventurous and creative. I know there's not always a lot of love for Sandinista, but it's my favourite Clash album.

As time moves on, i find myself revisiting Give 'em Enough Rope a little more than the others to be honest. Maybe it because its the one i didn't listen to as much when i was younger. I've never really had a major problem with the production... it is what it is. Its well enough produced, just a little slicker than the rest of their output. I think it was more about the change after that epochal debut and live shows. But we're getting off topic ... 80 tracks between the debut and Sandanista (as well as relentless touring), is pretty hard to argue with.

Yes "Rope' is perhaps just a little too polished compared to the debut, but it has "Stay Free" one of Mick Jones finest moments, so that's good enough for me. On top of the album tracks there were singles and b-sides, add in Super Black-Market Clash (the extended reissue) and you must be close to 100 songs in the classic era, before they nose-dived.