Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Music at the Gym...

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Planet Fitness is $10/month.
    That doesn't sound like a bad deal. Of course, there isn't one here.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I hear the same stuff at my health club. It's all EDM and Ambient. It's okay. It's a change of pace from heavy metal. There was a time in the 80s and 90s all you heard in gyms was guitar rock. Now it's all dance/pop. I hreard my first Adele song at my gym. I honestly would rather tolerate the house music rather than use headphones or earbuds. I cannot workout with earbuds. All that sweat and grunge dripping down on your head and ears. Nah. I'll somehow struggle through.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "Exercise music" isn't really music you know. It's good for exercising to though.
    It's generated by Rhesus monkeys.

How about music in strip clubs? All I hear is nasty hip hop.

Suspended
    Male strippers, for some annoying reason, seem to love doing their thing to a Bon Jovi soundtrack. Their other favourite is Sharp Dressed Man, by ZZ Top.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's generated by Rhesus monkeys.
    Really buff Rhesus monkeys.

Eating Rhesus peanut butter cups.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Male strippers, for some annoying reason, seem to love doing their thing to a Bon Jovi soundtrack. Their other favourite is Sharp Dressed Man, by ZZ Top.
    TMI

Only nerds like us yack yack on and on about all the music that gets pushed at us from all directions. It's funny. I think most people don't notice all the sonic wallpaper that surrounds them in bars, gyms, grocery stores, strip joints *** cough **** lol

Is it the shitty music or the exercise that keeps people looking so healthy?

Nothing beats doing Aquarobics to The Deep and Ring my Bell!

That guy's in good shape. Is that Art Garfunkel having a bad hair day?
    Last edited by Vic2012; 06-07-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    First world problems. You get no exercise at your sedentary job, so you drive to a gym where you can exercise with other people who can afford a gym membership. Then you complain about the music the gym plays.
    Well I protest. I protest against the corporate assault on art, for the sake of greed. I don't fault the gym, but the industry. Most of the music being written today I enjoy and respect. To force what I don't enjoy, want, or respect down my throat does not make me happy. I will fight it if and in any way I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    That guy's in good shape. Is that Art Garfunkel having a bad hair day?
    Simmons has no other job but to exercise all day long and be annoying.

He is exceedingly good at both.

Really buff Rhesus monkeys.

Eating Rhesus peanut butter cups.

How about music in strip clubs? All I hear is nasty hip hop.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I've never been inside a strip club, physically. I've seen glimpses on tv news reports but the juicy bits were blurred out. I did see a minute or so of Chippendale dancers many years ago on some video (probably tv). I was never that muscular even at 18 or 20 when I had a weigh-lifting regimen. I decided a lot time ago that nobody looks like that unless they're flexing. This all reminds me of a risque joke on one of Bob dylan's first albums. he's sing/talking about President Kennedy calling him up, "My friend Bob, what do we need to make the country grow, I said my friend John, Brigitte Bardot... Anita Ekberg, Sophia Loren... Country''ll grow."

If I walked into a club that had hip hop on, i'd probably walk right out. If I want to hear that, I can go to the gas station where it's blaring while somebody is pumping gas.

I haven't seen a stripper, female or male, in a couple decades. Oh wait, sat through the movie Magic Mike with my wife because it had a great director. The music was terrible. I do still laugh at Matthew McBongo's warning to the audience. "The law says you cannot touch...but I think I see a lotta law breakers in the house tonight"

When I'm on the treadmill, I go with basic three chord hard rock. Gimme a four/four beat and a nasty guitar riff to keep my feet moving.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I've never been inside a strip club, physically.
    I've never been to a strip club. I have been to a few events, eg gay nightclub, or Sexpo, where a stripper was part of the evening's entertainment.

The best background music to which I ever saw a strip being performed was "The Winker's Song" by Ivor Biggun and the red Nosed Burglars. Google the lyrics.(NSFW)

I once saw a dancer strip to "Fly By Night" (the song, not the whole album). She was gorgeous, but the song didn't fit. I've been known to tip a little extra if the song is good.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    My gym at work typically plays autotuned modern pop or classic rock, I generally put my ipod on complete random and skip if I get ambient or classical
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    First world problems. You get no exercise at your sedentary job, so you drive to a gym where you can exercise with other people who can afford a gym membership.
    And park AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the front door!

And park AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the front door!
    Yep. People waste so much time, and get so tense over this. They HAVE to park right in front of the entrance. They can't just find a spot and walk a few yards. People are just fat, lazy, selfish, and disgusting.

Yep. People waste so much time, and get so tense over this. They HAVE to park right in front of the entrance. They can't just find a spot and walk a few yards. People are just fat, lazy, selfish, and disgusting.
    This is exactly why we should have animals as leaders.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    This is exactly why we should have animals as leaders.
    We already do.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ I don't know if you're referring to the elephant and donkey symbols, but I'm not pressing the issue so this thread can continue.

^ I don't know if you're referring to the elephant and donkey symbols, but I'm not pressing the issue so this thread can continue.
    He's probably referring to the band.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally