Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Roger Waters' "The Wall" film

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the bonus features shows that most of what you see it seems to not be live. They filmed most of the concert in a closed stadium having full control of the situation and no public attendance. I was not surprised by this but felt like hmmm.. Roger like to put lot of detail on the production. Same thing happened at Berlin's Concert in the 90's. After the real concert ended they did the whole thing again just for the cameras.
    Actually, they do that with a lot of concert films, especially the "big" productions. In one of the Pink Floyd books I have, there's a story from an "unnamed source" (for full disclosure purposes, it's quoted from a book written by Timothy White, known to be a Waters supporter), about how this one guy watched them do multiple takes of Comfortably Numb for the Delicate Sound Of Thunder video, in an empty arena.

I believe it was said that when IQ did the Forever Live video in the early 90's, they did the same thing, filming the soundcheck so they could get closeup shots without having to worry about the cameras being in the way of the audience.

It's also a known fact that much of The Song Remains The Same was actually shot on a soundstage in London.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Tigers' came out as a non-album single in 1982. I think its first appearance on a 'Floyd album of any kind was the 2-cd best of Echoes nearly twenty years later!

It appears the original single, though, claimed that it was to be taken from The Final Cut! It was the 2004 reissue of The Final Cut- an oddity in itself, given that few Pink Floyd albums were reissued with extra material then- which finally added it to the album.
    Yes, the original single, which preceded the release of The Final Cut by several months, claimed it was "from the forthcoming album". Presumably, Waters intended it to be on the album, but as time went on, he ended up bumping for whatever reason.
    Never knew it was added to TFC, and never considered it as going with that album (though I see how it could). I thought it was included on the Wall film soundtrack and the single and that's all.
    There was no soundtrack album. Yes, one is mentioned in the closing credits of the film, but despite the presence of two songs that weren't on the original album, plus several songs that used clearly different recordings (such as Mother, Stop, the alternate version of Run Like Hell with the synth solo solo layered over the last verse, and the Bob Geldof sung versions of the In The Flesh tracks), one didn't appear.

Presumably, someone decided a full blown soundtrack album would have been too much, since most of the movie uses pretty much the same tracks that were on the album. There's always been talk that they considered putting out a record called Spare Bricks, which was going to be the songs that were re-done for the movie, plus songs that didn't make it onto the album or the movie. If we buy David Gilmour's assertions, this might have included some songs that ended up on The Final Cut, since Gilmour has always maintained that some of those songs were stuff that were on the original demo of The Wall, but got cut because it was too long and also because they just weren't very good.

But that idea, too, was nixed. The generally accepted logic was that after The Falklands War broke out, Waters decided he needed another "Big Statement" about it, and hence he decided the next album had to be viewed as it's own thing, separate from The Wall project. That might actually be why The Tigers Broke Free got dropped from the album, because it deals specifically with the Anzio debacle (where his father died), and I think he might have wanted the album to be less about WWII and more about the Falklands, or maybe just about the general stupidity of warfare.

As for the lack of bonus material on the Floyd albums, I still don't understand why they didn't add the 8-track version of Pigs On The Wing (which has the two verses linked together via a guitar solo played by Snowy White) on any of the CD editions of Animals.

Another oddity from this time, the song 'What Shall We Do Now' was cut from The Wall album. But that is, I think, the only Wall-related product the song has never been on...
    The long standing story is they decided at the last minute someone (presumably Waters) decided that side two was "too long". What Shall We Do Now was originally meant to be in the slot between Goodbye Blue Sky and Young Lust, with Empty Spaces being a reprise of the first section (with different words) that was meant to occur later on, but the former was dropped and the latter was bumped up in the track list to take it's place. This and a few other last minute changes (like Hey You being moved from the end of side three to the start, and I think the second verse of The Show Must Go On) were known to fans from day one, because they were made after the lyric sheets had already been designed and/or printed up.

it was played in the original Pink Floyd shows for the album, it was in the film, Waters has played it live with the rest of the album. It was even on the lyric sleeve of the original double album! It should have been restored to a CD by now (obviously with consideration of the segue with 'Young Lust').
    I assume you mean the studio version of What SHall We Do Now, as I believe it appears on all the various live releases of the album.

One assumes that Waters (or perhaps Gilmour) feels the track list of The Wall shouldn't be tampered with, and therefore they don't want to undo the last minute changes that were made in 1979. Note that while they do What Shall We Do Now on tour, they did not do Empty Spaces (regardless of what the track lists on some releases suggest, Empty Spaces is a separate track, which isn't even in the same key, with different lyrics from the first section of What Shall We Do Now).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    How come the Alan Parker film isn't for sale at all?

Because you're not looking hard enough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pink-Floyd-...qid=1500839012

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Later releases of The Final Cut have When The Tigers Broke Free inserted as the fourth track between One of The Few and The Hero's Return. A very powerful track especially given the effects on his life.
    I have a 45rpm vinyl record of this, never played. Bought it from the now defunct TSS.

Anyone know why The Wall movie isn’t available to stream anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I read in Prog 88 which features Waters' TFC, that Parker betrayed Roger about this film... and that Roger gets back to him by painting a villain in a TFC track

As for the movie not on sale,, that's a first I hear on it... Maybe it's OOP.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Floyd-Wa...loyd+movie+dvd

Thanks guys, but I asked that a year ago. My post just above is from yesterday - about streaming. Times have changed!

Thanks guys, but I asked that a year ago. My post just above is from yesterday - about streaming. Times have changed!
    Ooops.. I obviously didn't pay much attention to the date of the post..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Ooops.. I obviously didn't pay much attention to the date of the post..
    Often it's not required!