Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Believe it or not, coming to a venue near you

Believe it or not, coming to a venue near you

At this point they should be called Middle Age Guys on the Porch. I can't believe they're touring or that anyone likes this.

I am SO there!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I am SO there!
    they look like a bad circus act

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    At this point they should be called Middle Age Guys on the Porch. I can't believe they're touring or that anyone likes this.

The guy on the left, in the still, looks like James Hetfield. Did he join them to add cred?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I know a girl who's like 27 now and she's a big fan. Why? I dunno.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

What does it matter? You apparently don't like them, so why even start a thread about it?

There's a lot of prog bands (as well as other genres) who appear worse than a middle aged guy on a porch. Should they stop touring?

They are a vocal group and put on a good show. They have a lot of crowd interaction throughout their entire set. There's a lot who do like NKOTB. There's actually an entire new audience of fans. Good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I know a girl...
    Big step for a Prog fan.

Why do people still go to see Rush or anyone else? If you grew up with it and you still get a kick out of it, why not.

I think the argument could be made about the shelf life of this sort of music. Of course, if they can still draw people to their gigs then there's proof of the shelf life right there. It's all about nostalgia these days (further proof that our civilization is on the decline) and I guess some people are nostalgic for this band and this sort of music in general. They are welcomed to it.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The NKOTB have reached the age where their formally pre-pubescent fans are now more than legal. This tour is all about reaping the benefits most popular musicians have enjoyed for most of their careers.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Anyone else who is a Weird Al fan snicker on hearing "I Want It that way" by some other boy band?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Why do people still go to see Rush or anyone else? If you grew up with it and you still get a kick out of it, why not.
    The difference being that when those people see Rush, they freely admit it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    What does it matter? You apparently don't like them, so why even start a thread about it? .
    because it's astonishing to me that they're touring after all these years. that's why. You apparently don't like the thread so why participate?

I once saw a bit of their concert on TV back in the 90s. They did a ballad that was apparently from one of their earlier albums and the guy who sang it suddenly started sounding like a preteen boy, even though he obviously wasn't one anymore. On the next song his voice mysteriously deepened again. I guess it sounded exactly like it did on the record! And this didn't seem to bother the crowd at all.

because it's astonishing to me that they're touring after all these years. that's why. You apparently don't like the thread so why participate?
    I can see why though. Thanks to Hallmark movies, Dancing with the Stars and other TV shows (Wahlburgers, for example), their names are seeping back into public interest, current music makes people want to go back to the days of when people actually sung and of course, nostalgia of people in their mid-30's on up, they would be silly not to. I won't go see them, but hey, if someone wants to pony up cash, more power to them. I mean, I just saw a band that started life as a Bathory cover band. There's folks who would think I am pathetic (shut up, peanut gallery).

In fact, the thing I find odd is the choice of stage costumes in the still-are they going for the "we bought these at Spirit on October 30th after the good shit got picked over and this was left at 75% off" look? It's like one guy was fully into it, two guys put them on half assed and one said "fuck it-it's not like they'll cancel the concert if I don't wear it so I'll do my own shit".
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 06-05-2015 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Kinkade-for when you want to pay 85$ for crap you cannot sell at a yard sale for 5$

because it's astonishing to me that they're touring after all these years. that's why.
    Why is it astonishing to you that they are touring?

They also have a very successful annual cruise:

http://nkotb.com/cruise

I think it's their 4th consecutive year, so you better book fast because they do sell out of cabins!

^oh yeah, that girl I know went on one of those cruises. The thing I never got is she was probably in diapers when they were at the height of their popularity.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    ^oh yeah, that girl I know went on one of those cruises. The thing I never got is she was probably in diapers when they were at the height of their popularity.
    Maybe her parents into the group. If not, could be a relative or close friend who might have influenced her. Or… she might have heard them on her own and liked what she heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Why is it astonishing to you that they are touring?

They also have a very successful annual cruise:

http://nkotb.com/cruise

I think it's their 4th consecutive year, so you better book fast because they do sell out of cabins!
    I think I can answer your questions with 4 simple words. I'm out of touch.
    I didn't follow them when they were big back in the day. I assumed they'd split up a long time ago and this was some big reunion thing. I get whiffs of what's happening in the mainstream, but outside the mainstream is usually way more interesting to me. if NKOTB come to the Yum Center, if someone wants to pay me $1,000. to go, I will. I appreciate that link, btw. I went and watched the video. to be honest, I'd say there's probably no other place I'd rather stay away from than that cruise. it would help if I was into good-looking and popular male entertainers, but it's just not my bagh, daddy-o. There are bands I'd go on a cruise to see and meet, if I could afford to go on a cruise.

it would help if I was into good-looking and popular male entertainers,
    Or, you go to mingle the mostly female audience.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I know a guy who goes to Bon Jovi concerts to pick up cougar-age women.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    good idea! I'll run that one by my wife

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I know a guy who goes to Bon Jovi concerts to pick up cougar-age women.
    that sounds enticing. but I'm not sure cougars are interested in short, overweight guys.

that sounds enticing. but I'm not sure cougars are interested in short, overweight guys.
    Depends on his car.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Depends on his car.
    Sorry, but I have to object to your stereotype. I know many women, and less than half of them judge a man solely on the car he owns.