Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin announce Deluxe Edtions of Presence, In Through The Out Door" & Coda

Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    I'm with ya, feverishly ! But I'm the biggest fanboy, ever. I wouldn't disparage anyone for being fussy about the bonus material, but man, for me, that vocal-less version of FRIENDS is worth the price of A.

So, I'm hoping for some sheer goodness from:

"the previously unreleased "St. Tristan's Sword," an instrumental that dates back to the 1970 sessions for Led Zeppelin III.
    Wish they had included those two on III (which is the only one I bought from the new remasters as its honestly probably the only selection from their catalog that I listen to anymore). I'm with those who wished Coda was dropped and all these extras placed where they belong on the appropriate studio album. Oh well...I've been burnt out on Zeppelin for so long it doesn't really matter much anymore to me.

Why did Page and Plant ostracize John Paul Jones on stage?

They completely ignored him. Wouldn't even look at him. Watching the Led Zeppelin DVD, you can't help notice it. Even during the acoustic set, when he was sitting right there with them. He would occasionally look up hopefully, trying to catch Plant or Page's eye and share a smile, and they would just blow him off like he didn't exist.

The guy was absolutely essential to that band and they showed him no respect.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Why all the sour grapes, boys ? All is what you make of it, not what you want of it, no ? Fantasize. Sample. Buy what tickles your fancy. Make a playlist. Enjoy.
    It's Zeppelin, man.

Just my opinion, but I never considered Coda a real Zeppelin album. Basically a posthumous collection of unreleased material. LOVE Presence, and ITTOD has its moments.

i haven't gotten any of these 'remasters' yet, but the only one that's worth it is the first album with a live performance from the first tour. otherwise, most of the bonus material are CRUMBS for the fans.

I'm with ya, feverishly ! But I'm the biggest fanboy, ever. I wouldn't disparage anyone for being fussy about the bonus material, but man, for me, the vocal-less version of FRIENDS and OUT ON THE TILES are worth the price of A.

So, I'm hoping for some sheer goodness from:

"the previously unreleased "St. Tristan's Sword," an instrumental that dates back to the 1970 sessions for Led Zeppelin III.
    one thing I find a real shame is the destroyed artworks of the back sideof the album, with those negative shoot front artworks... I know that if I''de been interested in buying the vinyls (or the CDs), this would've totally cooled me off.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It's Zeppelin, man.
    But not as we know it. Zeppelin for me is the NINE vinyl studio albums on my shelf at home in their original running order, nothing more, nothing less. I don't own the ONE live album.

Nine albums with only about 65 original songs over a period of thirteen years for an entire career! That's all!

For comparative purposes Neil Young in his first 13 recording years from 66 to 79 (BS, CSNY & solo) had written and released around 110 tracks and probably (a conservative estimate from experts) wrote & recorded almost as many again that have been regularly appearing on archive albums over the years.

BUT to give a fairer comparison, lets go to the other UK blues rock giants of the day, The Rolling Stones, in their first 13 recording years from 64 to 77 they released 13 studio albums in the UK and 3 live albums in the UK. AND on those 13 UK released albums in their first 13 years were about 110 original tracks penned by Mick & Keith.

Not fair you say, okay, we'll take away the first 3 albums then, which bar about 5 songs were all covers anyway, that leaves about 105 original tracks on 10 studio albums over a period of eleven years from 66 to 77. But LZ only had 9 studio albums I hear you say....

Well okay then, that means that to equal the Stones level of recording, LZ would have needed a 10th studio album (lets be generosu and add just 1 more year bringing us up to 1983 - 14 years as opposed to the Stones 11 years to produce 10 studio albums) to contain about FORTY original tracks! Yea, good luck with that Jimmy!

I say all this with an honest good heart and in fun of course, I love Zeppelin and actually can't stand the Stones at all. It's just the Aspergers in me that makes me write posts like this....sorry

Peace & Love brother man! It's all good, it's all fun.
    Last edited by PeterG; 06-05-2015 at 07:54 AM.

I sense the beginning of a "Bands that had nine albums with only about 65 original songs over a period of thirteen years" thread.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I sense the beginning of a "Bands that had nine albums with only about 65 original songs over a period of thirteen years" thread.
    Ya cheeky monkey......... you know me so well

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    one thing I find a real shame is the destroyed artworks of the back sideof the album, with those negative shoot front artworks... I know that if I''de been interested in buying the vinyls (or the CDs), this would've totally cooled me off.
    Per the email from Burning Shed, the "standard" vinyl release has the original artwork.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The "negative" shots are the covers for the bonus tracks discs/vinyl. The original artwork is all intact for albums proper.

I have been somewhat disappointed with the bonus material as well aside from Zep I. However, most of my Zep vinyl had seen it's better days so this seemed like a good time to replace them with these new remasters. The remastering, I think, is terrific. So I'll be getting the next three as well.

Someone mentioned the Song Remains the Same soundtrack but it was remastered in 2007 with bonus material. Maybe the BBC album or How the West Was Won but I don't really see the point of doing those, however a vinyl version of How the West Was Won would be quite welcome. It's the only Zep release I don't have on vinyl.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by ribors View Post
    They are not even close to bands like ELP, The Doors, and Yes in terms of reissues.
    Let's not forget The Who. I believe there are 4 releases for just "Live at Leeds" (1995 CD reissue, 2001 deluxe edition, 40th anniversary collectors' edition & 2014 deluxe edition) and a boatload of Greatest Hits

Quote Originally Posted by pbs1902 View Post
    Let's not forget The Who. I believe there are 4 releases for just "Live at Leeds"
    One for each farewell tour.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Which tracks did they remove to make the deluxe editions?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Must. Squeeze. Every. Last. Drop.
    ...till the juice runs down my leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Someone mentioned the Song Remains the Same soundtrack but it was remastered in 2007 with bonus material.
    That's the one I got... the bonus were the tracks present on the film, if memory serves

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

As for TSRTS, the 2007 re-release was a remix. I think that's the only one in the catalogue. I believe the original remained available though.
    TBH, I'd have to compare the 07 remix with the 77 vinyl to see if it was a good thing to remix it, but I won't bother
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

IIRC, the remixed version didn't use the same version of "No Quarter" that was in the original, which has that legendary guitar solo from Page. Of course, I could be wrong...

I concur. At least one last hurrah for well-recorded live Zep that covers everything after 1973 is what would interest me the most. How The West Was Won is pretty great albeit with scores of edits between two 1972 California shows from the 25th and 27th of June.

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/htwww.html

Banned
    These deluxe releases are bull shit. No high res, who gives a shit.

I think the next step for Page now is to utilise the live archive.
    There's been rumors for a couple years that he's been polishing up all the '75 Earls Court Shows.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Incidentally, i've always thought In Through The Out Door would have been a more powerful, cohesive statement if the cover had been a big cock going into a hairy arse.

Hard to dispute tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    These deluxe releases are bull shit. No high res, who gives a shit.
    I've been purchasing these releases on HDTracks at 96k/24bit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    I've been purchasing these releases on HDTracks at 96k/24bit.
    Of course that doesn't matter if the tracks are the same tracks mastered and recorded for CD.

Will I'm Gonna Crawl be on there?