Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The return of cassettes.

I worked in a cassette duplication plant. We did independent stuff, mostly gospel. The tapes IIRC were not dubbed at high speed but that isn't inherently the biggest problem; the big issue is that it's unlikely that the duplicators are going to be properly and regularly de-magnetized and if that's not done all the high end is going to be massacred on the final tape. We were pretty contentious in our plant to make good product.

Any home recording artists here at PE from the 20th Century (who participated in the culture, produced their own products, traded tapes, did postal sound collaborations, etc?) I do a radio show that features such things, please get in touch, thanks. I still am a participant, love lo fi, and am in touch with home recording artists from all over the world. Maybe I even know you...

Hey, I don't know how much of a "culture" it really was -- we mostly labored in isolation in our basements -- but if you kids want to glorify lo-fi and lack of money, have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hey, I don't know how much of a "culture" it really was -- we mostly labored in isolation in our basements -- but if you kids want to glorify lo-fi and lack of money, have at it.
    Vinyl On Demand's Frank Maier has been buying up and archiving thousands and thousands of home produced cassettes over the last year to create a huge data base and museum in Germany. He has commissioned a book on the subject as well, to be published sometime next year. That box set of his that you refer to in your link isn't even a tiny glimpse at what was going on during the 1980's and early 1990's, and Maier is aware of that. You mentioned that you "labored alone" -- sorry you missed out on all the fun. If you are genuinely interested in what the actual cassette "culture" was back in the day...

1: Go to this website and read some of the artist spotlights, interviews, etc:
    http://livingarchive.doncampau.com/a...ssette-culture
    2: Watch this documentary:
    http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/grindstone_redux
    3: Watch this documentary:
    https://vimeo.com/ondemand/cassettemasters

As for "glorifying" anything -- is that really what PE represents to you regarding progressive rock... "glorifying?" There is no need for you to be so condescending here, just because not everyone shares your apparent tastes for hi fi and opulence. Oh, and I'm not a "kid." I was and am a participant, making my first cassette album available in 1980 and my most recent cassette release in 2014.

But most importantly to me, what exactly did you produce back in the day; I'd love to hear it.

Help!, I'm trying to get my great grandfathers piano rolls onto cassette.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Taped Rugs View Post
    But most importantly to me, what exactly did you produce back in the day; I'd love to hear it.
    I was, and am, "Anode" that Frank featured on his boxed set. I provided the source material he used for K. Leimer, Marc Barreca, Young Scientist and Galen. When Frank first contacted me, I sent him almost 900 cassettes I had collected over the past 40 years along with the correspondence to match (I was a reviewer for ten years during the peak of it).

I edited and typeset Archie Patterson's book of "Eurock."

It's amazing to me that anybody's interested in this stuff from forty years ago -- back then we couldn't GIVE it away.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Help!, I'm trying to get my great grandfathers piano rolls onto cassette.
    You might wanna check out Conlon Nancarrow:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conlon_Nancarrow

I was, and am, "Anode" that Frank featured on his boxed set. I provided the source material he used for K. Leimer, Marc Barreca, Young Scientist and Galen. When Frank first contacted me, I sent him almost 900 cassettes I had collected over the past 40 years along with the correspondence to match (I was a reviewer for ten years during the peak of it).

It's amazing to me that anybody's interested in this stuff from forty years ago -- back then we couldn't GIVE it away.
    AH! My sincerest apologies, Anode. Please forgive me for my obvious misinterpretation of your response. I am pleased to make your acquaintance, and I very much respect your work, for which you, in my view at least, should be quite proud of.

... what was going on during the 1980's and early 1990's,
    Yeah, it became much more of a "thing" after I got out. I was active from 1974-1982, at which point I got a job and a girlfriend

And I don't know how much "respect" I deserve.... Probably none! Nothing I did ever went anywhere, and twenty copies was considered a major run (LOL)
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 11-04-2016 at 02:13 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    You might wanna check out Conlon Nancarrow:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conlon_Nancarrow
    How's he supposed to help? He died like 20 years ago.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

This is interesting, Robert - I knew I knew your name from more than just the online prog community - maybe I saw it in Expose or i/e or something? Anyway, the whole Anode thing is cool. I just went here:

http://www.forcedexposure.com/Artist...ODUCTIONS.html

and there are lots of camples. I like the one called Stop it! Very cool. I'm suddenly interested in this stuff - nice thread!

I also like the bit from 25-in High. That snippet where the guy says You play for us is from Agitation Free, right?

Yes, good ear! However Forced Exposure overstates my influence/importance by about 2000%. Believe me when I tell you, I'm not that interesting!