Thread: SO, how was the Kinetic Element and Brave show ?

SO, how was the Kinetic Element and Brave show ?

Inquiring (recuperating) minds want to know. What'd people think of the new KE songs and players?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Apparently Mike Visaggio stage dived and the crowd carried him around on his back like Peter Gabriel.

Just kidding, but I could see it! Wish I'd been there...

OK. Nobody wants to post but 115 people want to know, so ....

Orion was a blast although the crowd was smaller than we hoped for. Brave opened and just positively rocked the joint. Michelle was superb. She is such a great fit for that band.

We came on around 11 p.m. and performed all of Travelog plus one song from Powered by Light ("The Ascent") and all of it came off very well. I was most gratified that after the big instrumental part in Vision of a New Dawn we got some nice sustained applause, which is something I am not used to LOL! Mike Florio had a great performance as did Michelle. Your humble keyboardist got some love shown him for the pipe organ bit in War Song and the big piano intro in Vision. Mark got his first dose of prog fan love as not only did he get many compliments on is bass playing from the audience, but Brave's bassist kind of dug what he was doing too! Todd was his usual brilliant, nonchalant self and Michael drove us along nicely on drums with few barely noticeable hitches. For our first real gig since August of 2013 I think we did pretty well. Yes, I had a keyboard glitch at the worst time. What else is new? But we overcame it and had one of the best crowd reactions we've ever had. Mike Potter was his usual affable self and did a great job on sound.

Now on to NJP on 6/6. There was a big delay doing sound check because the School of Rock franchise couldn't get itself out of the building on time. Lo-Fi Resistance got a good sound check. We did not but Alan Benjamin did a phenomenal job with literally not time to get it done. Unfortunately it meant I could not troubleshoot and went on wondering if everything was going to work, which mostly it did but in the same place on Into The Lair, the fugue, the Roland quit on me and somehow we stumbled through the baroque composition and came out roaring on the other end, and still managed to pull it off. On Vision of a New Dawn right at the big synthesizer solo the Roland went down again and somehow the band held it together while I figured out a different patch arrangement, and once I started playing it the guys were right there with me and it worked!! Once again, Mike Florio and Michelle Schrotz on vocals just killed. Jimmy Robinson wowed everybody with his technique and emotive acoustic guitar music, and the latest version of Lo-Fi was just marvelous as it was Randy, Ronen and Tom Brislin. That McStine has some great voice, man. KE got many nice compliments including from our peers, and I can only hope something good will come of these two shows.

If you were thinking about coming and you didn't, you should have. If you weren't thinking about coming, you have another think coming. :-) We hope we will get another chance sometime next spring. . . . Meanwhile we are taking a break and hope to be back at it in the fall. If you are inclined to send a few words skyward, please pray for me, my health, and that somehow I can keep this bunch together. Yes, we would play Prog Day but we have not been contacted. We'll figure something out.

Prog Lives. It does keep us young, you know?

BTW you can hear all of Travelog at http://melodicrevolutionrecords.com/album/travelog or www.cdbaby.com/cd/kineticelement2.
    A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission!

Mike I wanted to come so badly and Karl offered to drive me - but a short walk to my mailbox that I was unable to walk back from and I realised I needed more recuperation time after my surgery. Karl was extremely impressed fyi.

Sounds like fun times, Mike. Glad they went (mostly) well! I'm sure y'all rocked. Hope y'all get that big festival show soon. You deserve it. I have given up on ever being asked to play one, and that's ok. But when y'all get one I'll try to be there to support you if I can!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net