Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zappa - Drowning Witch

man, Drowning Witch has now become one of my favorite FZ albums, the energy is off the wall and the playing, forget about it! never ceases to get me energized. And this last play through the instrumental Envelopes really set in. Holy cow is that an amazing piece or what!?

And Best Band and Jazz Noise are 2 of the best albums by anyone, titanic live work there. Walt Folwer? God among men for sure. Plus, Zappa's solo in Oh No just slays me. Broadway the Hard Way is also wonderful, lots of tasty tunes, and solos too (Any Kind of Pain may be his best after the Inca solos) and the Hot Plate Heaven solo! Plus, the political commentary therein is still relevant today.

It's not on that website but the 5/1/88 Stockholm show is pretty damn amazing. Mats and Morgan come on stage during Big Swifty and play with the band and do their rendition of T'mershi Duween that is sick! According to Mike's tour diary Frank was beaming during that section, makes me smile. Killer tunes too!I'm a huge fan of most of FZ's 80s stuff and bands, espeically 88/81 82/Fall 80.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

There could be a whole disc of just Drowning Witch solos and I would be in heaven. Those solos are just so incredibly creative and beautiful. Can sound like Frank is destroying the guitar or he's creating music of the spheres
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    The 88 band was killer. I would LOVE to hear an 'untweezed', warts 'n all, archival release from that band.

Want to appreciate this band even more? Check out Mike Keneally's tour diaries ...

http://www.keneally.com/archive/1988/1988.html
    Here y'are, with video:

And that ^^^ includes Walt F. slaying "Black Napkins," in kind of a Freddie Hubbard mode.

Quote Originally Posted by mjudge View Post
    Here y'are, with video:

That was the video that actually sparked my e-mail exchange with Keneally. I had gotten a bootleg copy of that on VHS at Record Revolution, and not too long afterwards, I came to find out Mike was on AOL...this had to have been circa 1995-ish, maybe. Anyhow, I remember he said he didn't think it was the best song selection and that the one closeup he has, he's holding a guitar pick in his mouth. He also explained to me what the whole "It must be just what Marqueson needs" thing on Illinois Enema Bandit was about.

God, watching Frank's solo on that "Black Napkins" reminds me of how extremely impressive Omar Rodriguez-Lopez was at the Mars Volta's peak, which I would put in the Amputechture/Bedlam period. ORL has gone minimalist since then, but when I saw 'em a couple times in 2008, he had the same quality FZ did – everything coming out of his guitar was music, not "guitar playing." 0% noodle.

God, watching Frank's solo on that "Black Napkins" reminds me of how extremely impressive Omar Rodriguez-Lopez was at the Mars Volta's peak, which I would put in the Amputechture/Bedlam period. ORL has gone minimalist since then, but when I saw 'em a couple times in 2008, he had the same quality FZ did – everything coming out of his guitar was music, not "guitar playing." 0% noodle.
    Oh yea I hear that too, especially on those albums. He's a serious player too
    -Frank Zappa

Here y'are, with video:
    Of course! How did I forget about this?

Official release. Now.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Of course! How did I forget about this?

Official release. Now.
    You'll probably have to take that up with the Spanish broadcasters who aired the concert in the first place. It's commonplace for the broadcaster to own the rights to that kind of stuff.