Thread: Hard & Heavy Hippies!

Hard & Heavy Hippies!

I've heard of the THC but not really any of their music; that song I like a lot. Orange Goblin is hit and miss for me, but I really dig Spiritual Beggars (that video doesn't work)

Texas Hippie Coalition sounds a lot like Pantera.

Check out the Stoner Rock thread, we've got pages and pages of these bands.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

None of the 3 bands I posted are stoner bands, they are metal bands.

Stoner was an alt/indie hard rock US style in the early 90s.

There's something about a stew of fat ugly guys with stacks of Marshalls, Dimebag squeals, tight ass double bass pedal pounding, gutteral vocals, de-tunred riffs from hell, cowboy hats and black t-shirts that gets me every time. That THC is the bomb, thanks for sharing.

now that I've heard them, I'm interesting in seeing 'em in person. I think they sorta took up the torch from Alabama Thunderpussy

http://thcofficial.com/tour/
    Last edited by davis; 05-28-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    now that I've heard them, I'm interesting in seeing 'em in person. I think they sorta took up the torch from Alabama Thunderpussy

http://thcofficial.com/tour/
    Those are some pretty oddball stops on the way back from Canada, maybe catch them some other time.

Btw, is it just me or does that singer look like a really pissed-off Charlie Daniels?

Hard Hippies an oxymoron in my view

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Btw, is it just me or does that singer look like a really pissed-off Charlie Daniels?
    to me he looks like CD's obese offspring. that's not exactly criticism, as I need to drop 10 or 70 pounds myself. I don't think he looks pissed off.

Mountain ?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    None of the 3 bands I posted are stoner bands, they are metal bands.

Stoner was an alt/indie hard rock US style in the early 90s.
    Like all threads on PE, the bands posted in the Stoner thread are not necessarily strictly in the stoner genre but bands that people who like the stoner genre may enjoy. Instead of taking his post as an attack, why don't you interpret it as a suggestion that you may find similar bands such as the ones that you posted in that thread.

BTW, for what it's worth (and before you attack me, i don't give a shit if they classify it correctly), rateyourmusic.com lists spiritual Beggars and Orange Goblin as "stoner rock and "stoner metal"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Like all threads on PE, the bands posted in the Stoner thread are not necessarily strictly in the stoner genre but bands that people who like the stoner genre may enjoy. Instead of taking his post as an attack, why don't you interpret it as a suggestion that you may find similar bands such as the ones that you posted in that thread.

BTW, for what it's worth (and before you attack me, i don't give a shit if they classify it correctly), rateyourmusic.com lists spiritual Beggars and Orange Goblin as "stoner rock and "stoner metal"

I thought stoner was an offshoot of doom?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

HTH: ^ "Stoner rock or stoner metal[1] is a musical subgenre which combines elements of heavy metal,[2][3] psychedelic rock, blues rock, acid rock, and doom metal. The term desert rock is often used interchangeably with the term "stoner rock" to describe this genre; however, not all stoner rock bands would fall under the descriptor of "desert rock."[4][5] Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo and features a heavily distorted, groove laden bass-heavy sound,[6] melodic vocals, and "retro" production.[7] The genre emerged during the early 1990s and was pioneered foremost by the Californian bands Kyuss[8] and Sleep."

Stoner rock
    Stylistic origins Heavy metal, psychedelic rock, doom metal, blues rock, acid rock
    Cultural origins Early 1990s, California
    Typical instruments Electric guitar (often using fuzz, phaser, flanger etc.), bass, drums, sometimes vocals
    Fusion genres
    Stoner sludge
    Regional scenes
    Palm Desert Scene
    Other topics
    Alternative metal grunge sludge metal

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Mountain ?
    Sure, it's the hard n' heavy 60's-70's bands like Mountain, Sabbath, Humble Pie, Blue Cheer, Atomic Rooster, etc. that the modern "stoner" genre is deriving its inspiration and sound from. Tube amps, analog recording, fat guitar tones, fuzz pedals and other vintage tone pedals, long jamming, heavy riffs, trippy organ, etc.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Love Mountain, also Montrose, April Wine.

The original hard and heavy hippies:

I saw these guys in a little club in Chicago when I was about 15 years old; the origins of my tinnitus.

Saw Blue Cheer with the MC5 and the Psychedelic Stooges in Detroit, so loud my ears rang for over a week.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

What a great & groundbreaking album Vincebus was. Totally amazing!

Of course there were lots of psych-playing hippy staffed bands that turned to blues rock and hard rock back in the day, Sabbath, Heep, Purple, Quo, Hawkwind etc.
    Listening to the bands some of these guys were in before is quite interesting and very psychedelic. And of course some others went the other way and followed the art rock route, Gentle Giant, KC, Yes, PF.

There is an old saying that says, "everyone is a communist in their teens". I think we can amend that slightly and say "everyone in a rock band in the early 70s was a hippy in the 60s"