Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mancave, Fortresses of Solitude, Etc - Fables of Reconstruction

Mancave, Fortresses of Solitude, Etc - Fables of Reconstruction

I was going to say Woman Caves as well but it seemed to prone to misinterpretation. Anyway, I was about to rearrange my action figures in my mancave and it got me thinking. It's taken a couple years to get this room right and I'm proud of this space. I'll post photos later. I thought this subject would make a decent OT thread. For some it's a shop, others a home office or maybe a listening room. If nothing else, it'll give Gruno some place to post photos in.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I have two "mancaves, " believe it or not,'if you count my Meditation shed as one...the other is the "music room" we've converted in the garage. I'll try to post some pics....

My little corner of our home. My wife has no say in what goes here and where. I have no say in what goes anywhere else in the house.

mancave.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I have a similar place with CDs and my recording gear. It's basically 1/3rd of my basement and where 3RDegree rehearses. Not much in the way of "geeky" stuff but my wife hasn't bothered to have anything to do with the space since 1999 so it's all good.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    It's called the lair

"Alienated-so alien I go!"

Xlnt idea for a thread, it also throws light on the whole male vs female mindset in a relationship.

Three photos from my sanctuary. The biggest problem is that my wife now thinks it's one of the most comfortable rooms in the house (not shown, daybed with memory foam mattress). I had to move the TV out of here to discourage her from camping out, watching her shows.

P1010312.jpg

P1010313.jpg

P1010314.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Xlnt idea for a thread, it also throws light on the whole male vs female mindset in a relationship.
    Which, considering the male and female representation thus far: The guys are neat and tidy and a bit geeky and the female is freakin' strange...

BTW, are those real bats framed? If so, I'm jealous. I love bats, but have only held live ones and only have antique prints of bats on my walls. When I lived in London, over 20 years ago, we used to go on regular bat walks in parks and graveyards.

BTW, are those real bats framed? If so, I'm jealous. I love bats, but have only held live ones and only have antique prints of bats on my walls. When I lived in London, over 20 years ago, we used to go on regular bat walks in parks and graveyards.
    Yes-they are from Java (although I bought them from a guy in Ohio on eBay) and I checked their status on lists before purchasing them (they are all least concerned species). They are a black bearded tomb bat (the blonde one), an intermediate long fingered bat and a small bamboo bat.

Nowadays, posting that kind of stuff overseas is really difficult.

Nowadays, posting that kind of stuff overseas is really difficult.
    I know. There was a guy on eBay in the USA posting he had a wolf skull. I put a bid in without really looking it over and I later found it was pulled when I looked for it. It turned out to be a black bear skull, which falls into one of those shades of grey when selling skulls. The skulls I have are non-endangered (unless you are in California, where everything of natural history or biological interest is in grey areas)-most are from eBay, with one being an acquisition from a place in SoHo called Evolutions in SoHo, one is from either Bone Room or American Headhunter mail order and one is salvaged from a discarded science display cabinet in a high school. I just added one, a mink skull, acquired from a vendor at Maryland Death Fest.
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 06-08-2015 at 05:01 PM.

New corner shelf

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Resurrecting this thread because I will soon have a nice mancave!! I'm very psyched.

I have a question for y'all: I'm going to have a good sized CD storage unit, but I also need a unit that's 12" deep so those King Crimson boxes and other large boxed sets will fit. Can anyone recommend a good line of storage units (possibly with doors but probably not) with 12" deep shelves? I guess I should be looking for LP units, there must be a ton these days.

I'll need there to be a little more than 12" vertical space for each shelf though, to make it easy to get sets out, though, so maybe an LP unit isn't best.

It seems to me there's a basic IKEA shelf that's mentioned often on the Hoffman forums as a cure-all for vinyl and big boxes. Or if you want to spend some bucks get a steel case from Boltz. I've had one for about a dozen years and it holds together like nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    If nothing else, it'll give Gruno some place to post photos in.
    Dammit… why have I not seen this thread until now?!?!!!

I am currently disassembling my cavern for a complete remodel...

For those of you who mounted a smart tv on the wall, do you have it connected to something below like a Blu-Ray Player or a receiver via an HDMI cable, and if so is the HDMI cable run through the wall, or along the wall?

Drops straight down to the rack. I could attach it all to the wall but a.) I'm too lazy and b.) it looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Resurrecting this thread because I will soon have a nice mancave!! I'm very psyched.

I have a question for y'all: I'm going to have a good sized CD storage unit, but I also need a unit that's 12" deep so those King Crimson boxes and other large boxed sets will fit. Can anyone recommend a good line of storage units (possibly with doors but probably not) with 12" deep shelves? I guess I should be looking for LP units, there must be a ton these days.

I'll need there to be a little more than 12" vertical space for each shelf though, to make it easy to get sets out, though, so maybe an LP unit isn't best.
    I invested in book cases years ago for my man cave. The bottom shelf of each one holds box sets. I bought these at a store specializing in un-painted furniture. At the time I didn't have measuring tape and so I physically brought a few box sets with me to test out the book cases. It worked out beautifully...but I have wondered about the investment in doors due to people spilling drinks and the on going burden of reminding company to keep drinks on the coasters and away from the cd collection. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    I invested in book cases years ago for my man cave. The bottom shelf of each one holds box sets. I bought these at a store specializing in un-painted furniture. At the time I didn't have measuring tape and so I physically brought a few box sets with me to test out the book cases. It worked out beautifully...but I have wondered about the investment in doors due to people spilling drinks and the on going burden of reminding company to keep drinks on the coasters and away from the cd collection. lol!
    Now that's not a hazard I'd thought of. I guess doors would prevent dust from collecting too.

For various reasons, I haven't had a proper stereo setup in several YEARS, and all listening was done either on headphones or in the car.

Today I finally set up a receiver and speakers in our semifinished basement and christened it with Wish You Were Here. Still very spartan but I hope to keep up the momentum and add a TV and eventually surround speakers.

I'm not going for ideal, just a stereo I can crank occasionally!

I love "Wish You Were Here" as a demo. It fades in from a distance and when the acoustic guitars come in above the murky background it's just so sweet.

Check this out, hopefully the link will take you right to the post. An Australian member of the Hoffman forum took these photos of his backyard sanctuary. Oh my god, this is how you do it.

Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

My new listening room is still a work-in-progress, but here's what it looks like this morning.
    IMG_0997.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_1001.jpg