Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andy Kirk

Andy Kirk

So I've been listening to a lot of Univers Zero this past week, and it is really occurring to me just how good of a composer Andy Kirk is. I don't want to commit (wait for it) Heresie and say that he is better than Daniel Denis, especially since their styles of composition are rather different, but I think that some of my favorite UZ songs are Kirk compositions: The Funeral Plain, Combat, Warrior. The latter in particular may be the best thing they've done in my opinion.

Dude...I *love* what Kirk did with UZ. His are definitely some of my favorite tracks of theirs.

Always hoped there might be an Andy Kirk album at some point...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Andy Kirk is a fine, fine composer. He did the majority of the heavy compositional lifting on Heatwave and Combat is a big corker too.

And his composing contribution to Clivages was also top drawer.

He's still around, of course, but not strictly pursuing music as a living. Renato or Michael can report more, if there is more to report.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I agree, his compositions are really great. But Andy Kirk outside UZ is something completely different. Among other activities he has a Peter Gabriel cover band - as a singer.

And a rockband Kazma where he plays guitar

Non of this is barking up my tree. I think he needs the right people to play ball with, in order to get the right inspiration.
    Or we are talking bread and butter here. Dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Among other activities he has a Peter Gabriel cover band - as a singer.

Although I love the orig "Solsbury Hill", I'd take "Combat" over this one millionfold. But yeah, Kirk's input on those 80s UZeros (as well as the recent ones he's on) is crucial to the final outcome.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Hmmm... While Kazma is far from what he has done in Univers Zero, it's definitely good quality stuff. I could actually see it having significant appeal to the fans of prog-metal or the harder end of neo-prog.

I do find it interesting that his UZ compositions take on a very heavy feel - not only in their titles (which all seem very appropriate) but just the sound of the piece. I daresay the Funeral Plain and Combat might actually be darker than the stuff on Heresie. My opinion of course - Heresie has this evil, sinister vibe to it whereas the aforementioned Kirk tracks just are dark and foreboding, especially in the mental imagery the songs give me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Among other activities he has a Peter Gabriel cover band - as a singer.
    Hey, isn't that Eric Plantain from Univers Zero playing bass on that Solsbury Hill video?
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com

yes it is

Now I'm trying to think of potential mashups between Peter Gabriel and Univers Zero.

I'll start with "A Visit to Docteur Petiot" and "Carpet Crawling Wind."

After the ordeal, Before The Heat ?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Love his stuff with UZ, I always hoped for further collaborations.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Falling Red Rain Dance

Here's a reach (and I hope I get it right), but Vous Le Sourez En Temps Grand Voulu

It's been mentioned but it needs to be posted!

Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Indeed. Combat is a beast of a track

And how about that the most recent incarnation has played Warrior live? Berckmans' contribution are definitely missing, but I love that Daniel Denis is including some of Kirk's stuff into the set. I bet Funeral Plain would translate well to this lineup as well.

https://youtu.be/XysnhRsNFtc

This show was professionally recorded but the tapes are presumably lost

Andy Kirk is in a Peter Gabriel cover band? And he's the singer? Starting to feel like The Twilight Zone or something!

And wow. He's pretty great. Good for you, Andy!

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    https://youtu.be/XysnhRsNFtc

This show was professionally recorded but the tapes are presumably lost
    Checking the UZ website, it says that Emmanations off of Relaps was from the Frankfurt show. Although somehow, I think you would know better than I would Udi

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    So I've been listening to a lot of Univers Zero this past week, and it is really occurring to me just how good of a composer Andy Kirk is. I don't want to commit (wait for it) Heresie and say that he is better than Daniel Denis, especially since their styles of composition are rather different, but I think that some of my favorite UZ songs are Kirk compositions: The Funeral Plain, Combat, Warrior. The latter in particular may be the best thing they've done in my opinion.
    somebody really close to Daniel always thought that Andy's contributions were never really highlighted to their just valor
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    somebody really close to Daniel always thought that Andy's contributions were never really highlighted to their just valor
    ^ ^ ^

Don't understand what you are saying?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^ ^

Don't understand what you are saying?
    his comps were (relatively) unfairly treated by the rest of the band.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

But he has been with the band several times, so someone in the band must like what he does.
    Its probably not an easy band to be in, lots of personalities, lots of rehearsals, not too many gigs, and the band is probably not travelling on first class every time.

Andy KIRK – composer, keyboards, viola, percussion and guitar
    Joins May 1979, leaves mid – 1983; returns in late 1985 and stay until 1986 when the band splits, member of 1997 line –up for FIMAV Festival in May 1997
    Rejoins on May 2005, but plays the 1st show only in January 2006.
    Leaves in June 2009.

1982 Sweden with AK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEYvyf0xdWY
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 05-22-2015 at 05:49 PM.

I’ve always liked what he brought to the table in UZ. “Combat” and “The Funeral Plain” are faves of mine as well.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

It could be that he had a lot more tracks and DD opted not to use them. It's his band, after all.

Maybe Kirk should be in a Steve Hackett tribute band instead, eh?

I really hate quoting interviews when I can't find the source material but I remember a DD interview where he says something to the effect that it was a real blow to UZ when Kirk left after the Crawling Wind lineup had finished touring. I think Daniel really likes to have other people contribute and not have it all fall on him. Look at the last two UZ albums.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post
    It could be that he had a lot more tracks and DD opted not to use them. It's his band, after all.
    I don't think that's the way she meant what she told...

I didn't ask much more in that direction