Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stick Men with David Cross - Live CD!!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Will pick this up at the show at the Iron Horse fer sure

Looks like they got a good rating at AAJ.

Just ordered

Mine just arrived. Loving it so far! Nice that they switched up the 2 evenings.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Got mine last night as well. I like the sleeve design... simple and effective.

They give the soloists a lot of room to work on "Satori," and it was very nice.

Levin should bring the gritty, very upfront stick-playing heard here to the current version of Crimson a little more often.

So far, those are my takeaways from my first listen on the morning commute.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Autobuy at the show in a couple of weeks for which a ticket was an autobuy.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    They give the soloists a lot of room to work on "Satori," and it was very nice.
    That one particularly kills--possibly the biggest highlight here. I think it's because that Eastern key makes such a perfect fit for adding the violin.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Mine is on it's way...being on a crimson kick I'm thoroughly looking forward to it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I thought the Stick Men were OK, but this 'Midori' recording of both sets at one venue is far more rewarding with the addition of David Cross. I sense the influence of DC's 'Starless' album with RF, and I think Stick Men work better as this quartet.

Well, can't say I've listened to Stick Men since before Marcus Reuter, who I know little about, joined the band. He sure brings a lot to the table here. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Love the 'Improv' selections on this.

Hear Pat's drumming on headphones. If nothing else, on 'Satori.'

Levin, Mastelotto, Fripp & Tippett

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=27&show=2055

If only BPM&M was this good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Levin, Mastelotto, Fripp & Tippett

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=27&show=2055

If only BPM&M was this good.
    This is very cool.

Picked this up at last night's wonderfully energetic show at the Iron Horse. The guys came out after the show so I got it signed but haven't listened yet. I did chat with Leo of MoonJune Records, wearing a great Three Friends shirt.

Spoiler warning (set list):

Markus announced the "first cover" of the evening by telling us that at age 10 in '82 he was taken to his first concert, which provided the moment in which "music clicked and I knew I wanted to be a musician". I thought he was about to say he'd seen the '80s KC iteration that year but to my delight, he said it was Mike Oldfield's "5 Miles Out" tour and the band proceeded to play a great version of "Mirage" from that amazing album. I told Markus after the show that we had also been blown away by that show, which we saw at Berklee in Boston.

Great trio, great show. I debated buying a Krimson Projekct official bootleg but I'm kind of drowning in KC right now, following the release of the Toronto show and a live early '80s show I also bought a couple of weeks back, so I passed. I'll probably regret that but will have to content myself with the Live in Tokyo set.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Markus announced the "first cover" of the evening by telling us that at age 10 in '82 he was taken to his first concert, which provided the moment in which "music clicked and I knew I wanted to be a musician". I thought he was about to say he'd seen the '80s KC iteration that year but to my delight, he said it was Mike Oldfield's "5 Miles Out" tour and the band proceeded to play a great version of "Mirage" from that amazing album.
    Nice story but Mirage is from album QE2.

"D'oh!"

Bought the CD tonight from Moonjune's Leonardo, running the Stick Men merch table.
    Great show.

I bought the 2 CD version from the band after their show in New Hope, PA. Excellent set of music to listen to while out walking!

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    Excellent set of music to listen to while out walking!
    You must have a nice quiet area to walk. If I tried that, I wouldn't even be able to hear the improvs or soundscapes.

I saw Stick Men Saturday night at the Van Dyke (Schenectady NY) and they killed - holy cow what a powerful show. So amazing, I could not take my eyes of them the whole time, trying to figure out what the hell they are doing. So impressive, and so powerful....

Anyway - I picked up the CD (Midori) and have been listening to it non-stop, great stuff. I know it's easiest to fall back to the music you are familiar with, and they crush Lark's Tongues IMHO - just brutal and beautiful. All 3 came out and signed CD's and talked for awhile, very cool. I hope next time they bring Mr. Cross - that would have been awesome

This is a fantastic release.

Stick Men are great. With added David Cross, that takes the whole ensemble to new heights. A superb release indeed!

Which of the two sets are folks most enjoying?

Second set. There's an improv on it that begins with some tinkling keys that is very reminiscent of . . . something, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Some Crim improv from the '70s, I think? And, as mentioned before, "Satori" slays.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I did the download...Very nice indeed!! Cross really adds a lot to the sound! Definitely worth going for!!