Thread: Record Shops in Australia

Record Shops in Australia

Hi all,

I will be in Sydney and Melbourne this summer (winter for those of you there) and would love to hit any worthwhile record shops. I'm only interested in places that have vinyl, and ideally some Australian prog, though I know these albums are rare even at home. I will have car access, so I can leave the city for things in neighboring areas.

Thanks!

Suspended
    Too bad you're not coming to Perth, or you could visit "78 Records" which is an iconic institution.

I've lived in both Syd and Melb but I'm sure stores have opened and closed since I was there. Still, some Aussies on the forum should be able to enlighten you.

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Bumping this hoping for a few more recommendations

Vicious Sloth has a shop, don't they? Probably no surprise finds there though.

Just in case (going there in july)....any shop(s) in CAIRNS (arrival) & DARWIN (departure) ?

Thanks,
    A.

There is a market in Cairns that operates Fri, Sat, Sun called Rusty's Markets, you may find something there http://www.rustysmarkets.com.au/about.html . Apart from there I don't think you will find much.

A good reason to enjoy the Northern Beaches there
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

I visited both cities last November (loved both places) and the best store I found in Sydney was Red Eye Records at 143 York Street, very close to the Queen Victoria Building (which you should definitely check out while there). It's a well-managed store that has been nicely curated with both used CDs and vinyl. In Melbourne, I would recommend stepping into Basement Discs, 24 Block Place; it's a smaller store but it's one that I would probably visit frequently if I lived there.

My favorite record stores were in New Zealand: Slow Boat Records in Wellington and the gargantuan Real Groovy in Auckland, the latter could take a whole day to scavenge (think Amoeba in Berkeley or Aron's in LA during its heyday).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone remember Babymash?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Was that the band fronted by that guy who was always in the news on something drug related?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    YES HOW COULD YOU EVER FORGET BABYMASH

(For everyone else, FYI: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!se...ssive/babymash)