Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Squire has leukemia- Sherwood subs for 2015 tour

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    OK I'll buy that wording.. Maybe the "other" issue I had with Chris was his tight spandex leggings.. (if you want to call them that).. I mean come on.. I don't need to see that advertisement.. Put a cape on and do your showmanship..
    Lol - you'll get no argument from me about the leggings.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I thought that 29 song, 39 minute yes medley by Circa was pretty damn good!
    OMG circa and sherwood is not and never will be Yes---a tribute band is not Yes---you have to write the stuff --anyone of many people in the world can play the music---JA performed Awaken with some foreign group and it sounded great--BUT --it WAS NOT YES--if you saw them live with the classic line-up--the magic was more then performing the songs. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    OMG circa and sherwood is not and never will be Yes---a tribute band is not Yes---you have to write the stuff --anyone of many people in the world can play the music---JA performed Awaken with some foreign group and it sounded great--BUT --it WAS NOT YES--if you saw them live with the classic line-up--the magic was more then performing the songs. Geez.
    I thought that medley was pretty cool, too. Anyone celebrating the music of Yes in such a clever manner deserves some credit for spreading the gospel, so to speak.

Didn't that lineup of the band include both White and Kaye in addition to Sherwood? If so, not so sure you could dismiss them as a tribute band with 3 of 4 Circa members previous full fledged members of Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    I thought that medley was pretty cool, too. Anyone celebrating the music of Yes in such a clever manner deserves some credit for spreading the gospel, so to speak.

Didn't that lineup of the band include both White and Kaye in addition to Sherwood? If so, not so sure you could dismiss them as a tribute band with 3 of 4 Circa members previous full fledged members of Yes.
    I agree......and I was there right up near the stage in front of Billy's bass amp. After seeing what Billy Sherwood can do as the frontman of his own band....I assure you all Chris made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I agree......and I was there right up near the stage in front of Billy's bass amp. After seeing what Billy Sherwood can do as the frontman of his own band....I assure you all Chris made the right choice.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post

Yep, Kaye and White were both there.

Maybe it's not my place to ask this, but can we please try to save the negativity on our opinions of Yes/Not Yes for another thread? We're all aware that there's a diversity of opinion on the band's personnel choices. Can't we set that aside to wish Chris Squire well, and celebrate his contributions to Yes and to all our lives? I realize I'm probably asking too much, but I figured I'd try ...

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I'm serious about this. There are huge advances in cancer over the past few years. My friend is top cancer researcher, and he is a skeptic. But as one scientist said "We are moving... we are moving as fast as we can." Squire in a race... well, as we are all.

what is a 'skeptic chemist', or a 'skeptic' in this context?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Maybe it's not my place to ask this, but can we please try to save the negativity on our opinions of Yes/Not Yes for another thread? We're all aware that there's a diversity of opinion on the band's personnel choices. Can't we set that aside to wish Chris Squire well, and celebrate his contributions to Yes and to all our lives? I realize I'm probably asking too much, but I figured I'd try ...
    THANK you. +1,000,000.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

That ^

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Where was the above clip of Circa from? I remember not being able to hear the guitar at all at ROSFest.
    <sig out of order>

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    I'm as guilty of being judgmental of Yes as the next person but in light of these developments I have to wholeheartedly agree. I look forward to seeing them in August with the bonus of seeing Toto for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Where was the above clip of Circa from? I remember not being able to hear the guitar at all at ROSFest.
    I think it's from the DVD of the show they recorded at San Juan Capistrano. But I don't own the DVD, so I can't say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I realise the ROSfest CIRCA: show was... traumatic for those present, but CIRCA: have performed on other occasions and without reports of the same problem. Let us not judge the band by that one show.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Sorry to read about this. Hope he gets well.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I realise the ROSfest CIRCA: show was... traumatic for those present, but CIRCA: have performed on other occasions and without reports of the same problem. Let us not judge the band by that one show.

Henry
    Of course. My question comes more from wondering if there was a soundboard recording or something like that that accounted for the better sound. It was not an attempt to rehash the ROSFest show.
    <sig out of order>

By the way: Which solo album by Billy is his best?

I haven't heard all of his solo albums, but I do have (and quite enjoy) The Big Peace.

Wasn't that CIRCA: show in the above video the very first one they played? Or am I mis-remembering?

All these orchestras are only cover bands. Only Beethoven plays the REAL Beethoven!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by Neoman View Post
    By the way: Which solo album by Billy is his best?
    They're all good (if you're given to liking his work) but I'd cite What Was The Question? if I were under duress to name a favorite.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    They're all good (if you're given to liking his work) but I'd cite What Was The Question? if I were under duress to name a favorite.
    I love the latest two from Billy, "The Art of Survival" and "Divided By One."
    The Prog Collective cd's have some great stuff on them, too, especially the first one.
    And if you haven't heard it, the first CIRCA: cd is the best YES album YES never made--and from what I've heard of the next CIRCA: album, it'll blow all these albums away! Seems to be shaping up more like CIRCA:s "Relayer."

Love and light to Chris, YES, and all of you!

I haven't heard all of his solo albums, but I do have (and quite enjoy) The Big Peace.
    I haven't heard all of them either, though I recall thinking The Big Peace was pretty good.

But I always come back to how smoking hot Billy and Chris were when they were doing their Chris Squire Experiment club shows back in the mid 90s (with Jimmy Haun, Alan, and Steve Porcaro. I was so hoping either Open Your Eyes or Conspiracy would capture some of the raw energy of those shows.

https://myspace.com/starshippeter/vi...round/19471313
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

My first of many, many Yes concerts was in July of 1971 as the support band for Jethro Tull in Wildwood, NJ. I did not imply that Circa was or ever would be Yes,(even with 3 Yes players playing). I only said that I thought the medley was "pretty damn good". Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    All the Sherwood you need IMHO:

Solo:
    The Big Peace
    Oneirology

Circa:
    HQ

World Trade:
    S/T

Also, the first Conspiracy album credited to Chris Squire and Billy Sherwood has some nice tunes on it though the production has that goopy pre grunge late 80s sound which I guess makes sense if they started it in 1989.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    World Trade: S/T
    this. there is hardly a more concise interpretation of YesWest than this one (albeit slightly heavier guitar perhaps) – and look where all of this led ;-)>

i also like about half of “euphoria” (the follow-up from 1995) which saw a few tidbits later transferred to OyE and CONSPiRACY#1. “golden age” is a nice little prog-ska romp and prefaces “lightning strikes”. glad to see that sherwood consequentially dropped his predication to insert the term “world” wherever possible soon after, hehe

CiRCA’s big medley is the best YES-related thing that i saw during the noughties. i kid you not.