Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What formats do you listen to most?

What formats do you listen to most?

At the risk of extending the 'Holy Mother of God' Yes thread here,
    I thought I'd pose this question on a new thread:

What are the percentages of the music 'formats' that you listen to?

For myself, it's 100% mp3.

I used to own 100's of vinyl records but (regrettably) sold them in my late teens
    for ale money. Probably a third of my collection are live mp3 bootlegs. The rest
    rips from my own cd's which I then sold, or mp3s I have blatantly stole from torrent sites.

I dread the day when Apple / Google / Big Brother or whatever only allow access
    to music via their platform / devices, by which time any mp3 playing item could
    be obsolete.

So, in what format do you listen to all of this twiddly fiddly shit we call prog?
    Last edited by rael74; 05-15-2015 at 02:09 PM.
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

At home CD's, unless I only own it on vinyl.

Outside I listen to mp3's, which is only a small part of my listening time.

At this point, roughly:

5% vinyl
    5% cassette (car stereo)
    5% CD (car stereo)
    85% some digital format (while slowly converting all my mp3s to wavs or at least something far less lossy than mp3s now that every device has the storage for such) either via my computer or whatever iDevice.

- Matt

Suspended
    Mostly CD.
    Radio less often, mainly for certain scheduled programs I always like to listen to.
    Online or downloaded podcast - a fair bit, though I rarely listen to any given podcast more than once.
    And - very occasionally - cassette tape, only because I have a large number of legacy cassettes that I see no reason to throw out.

CD's and mp3's. Very occasionally I'll play an old cassette, but I don't have a decent turntable anymore, so records don't get played anymore.

Probably still 80% CD's. I do listen to my IPOD at work in my office and if I am on vacation travelling, but at home and car it is still mostly CD's. The only radio I ever listen to any more is sports.

at home LP
    in the car CD and MP3
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Mostly CDs, though I've been streaming through Amazon Prime a lot lately. I just really like physical product. Devices/touch screens are a pain in the ass.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Mainly digital via an ipod where I try to download / rip less lossy formats whenever possible. In the car it's a 50:50 split between an ipod and cd's. In the house I'll go cd if the wife isn't around and I can crank the hifi up.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

MP3s... YUK!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    (while slowly converting all my mp3s to wavs or at least something far less lossy than mp3s now that every device has the storage for such)
    Technically and sonically, mp3s do not 'upscale' you cannot put the quality back that is lost when encoding to mp3.

Mostly CD's (at home and in the car), but MP3's when out walking or traveling. I still have a bunch of vinyl I bought in the 80's, but it's stored in my parents basement and I haven't heard a vinyl LP since the early 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    MP3s... YUK!!!!!
    I know. I've standardised on an 'average' format created when bandwidth and storage where scarce.

I'm personally waiting a generation of old proggers to kick the bucket and then I'll buy back my old Lps in one swoop.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Technically and sonically, mp3s do not 'upscale' you cannot put the quality back that is lost when encoding to mp3.
    Well, you can re-rip at a higher bit rate, or re-rip to a loss-less format, of course. I must have been thinking ahead, because none of my MP3's are less 192kb (most are 320).

For the time being, it's 100% digital (some roughly equal combination of Mp3 and Lossless).

Just about 100% mp3s, though I'll pop in CDs when I'm home and reading, or something similar.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

LP's, CD's, sometimes cassettes and when I search for new music on internet: samples (youtubes or whatever is available). I've downloaded quite some albums, performances and songs (you get them for free often when you buy a physical album or Frank Wyatt offers them on his site ), but I hardly listen to them.

FLAC. Been digitizing my collection since 2003.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

I prefer to buy CD's so I have the full encoded track. I then rip the CD's to my laptop in WAV format and play them on my Home Theater system via WMA and a HDMI connection. Then I encode a copy of the WAV file to MP3 and transfer them to my Ipod. This way I have the original format easily accessible at home and the Ipod for traveling.

chalkpie
    Beta. No I meant VHS.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    FLAC. Been digitizing my collection since 2003.
    Best quality for the cost.
    Pretty much the same here. Re-ripped everything to FLAC from the CD's. Bought players and/or apps that support FLAC. Squeezeboxes mostly.
    If I need to I can convert a FLAC to MP3 to save space on a digital device ( for lawn mowing or the like )
    I buy CD's, only a couple of downloaded 'albums'. I keep the cd's as my 'license'. Storage is a minor issue, domestic tranquility and all that.
    I listen to cd's in the car, mostly recent acquisitions.
    so 80% flac streaming from purchased ripped cd's
    about 10% streamed from Pandora ( paid version FWIW )
    5% cd's, SACD, 5.1 remixes, etc
    5% mp3's at work or lawn mowing.
    Last edited by markwoll; 05-15-2015 at 07:47 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Beta. No I meant VHS.
    3/4' for me

Mostly AAC on my ipod classic or laptop ripped from the CDs (which I keep). I sometimes play CDs in the car but I recently got a new car stereo with an aux input so I don't really have to do that anymore. Also will stream from youtube, soundcloud, progstreaming etc. to check out new music.

At home it's CDs, LPs and computer files, in no particular order. In the car, I listen to mostly FLAC files of CDs I've ripped. I just started the tedious process of ripping my 3000+ CD collection and will put the physical discs in storage, finally. I discovered ripping with DBPoweramp is much easier and somewhat quicker than using EAC; just found that out after ripping about 18gig of discs so far...

Is there a way to convert my mp3 files on i-tunes to wav or lossless files?