Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What formats do you listen to most?

Online(youtube, internet radio etc)and cds. I still don't have an ipod.

Quote Originally Posted by KIPMEISTER View Post
    Is there a way to convert my mp3 files on i-tunes to wav or lossless files?
    You can convert them, but you can't upgrade them. Whatever audio quality is lost by converting them to mp3 format cannot be retrieved.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by KIPMEISTER View Post
    Is there a way to convert my mp3 files on i-tunes to wav or lossless files?
    Not lossless. mp3s are called "lossy," because information has been removed. Once that has happened, you cannot put information back in. You can convert them to .wav, but there's no real point, unless you can only play .wav on your player.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    CDs
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

CDs and three over the air NYC area FM stations,WKCR,WQXR and WFMU.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

90% MP-3, the balance are DVD-A / SACD in my 5.1 collection

CD's typically are ripped immediately then filed away

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Mostly MP3s, which are okay, but if I'm doing 'serious' listening or listening in the car - CDs (or surround when applicable). I still buy everything, so I can support the artist and control the format.

100% CD

and when I have no other choice, vinyl
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

FLAC

I only listen to vinyl once in a blue moon, but I do listen to it.

I'm 100% CD. I have no vinyl anymore (actually haven had vinyl since the late 80s), and I've never had an mp3 player. I have some ROIOs on my computer that I hardly ever listen to, and a few downloads of albums that are either OOP or were never released on CD, some of which I've burned to CDR and listen to occasionally. I'd happily buy legit CDs of these albums if they ever came available, new or used.

If I ever get rid of a CD, I do not keep a copy of it in any medium.

Bill

CD / Mp3.. rarely do my vinyls come out anymore..
    Convenience factor for sure.. pop a CD in the car or the boom box in the kitchen while preparing food etc.
    Either that or pull up Windows media / Zune software and play via my laptop..
    When I'm outdoors doing yard work or on a jobsite where music is an option i.e. I'm doing mindless work I plug in my Zune and headphones and jam out..

CDs at home, which is most of my listening time. I have a good system and to me, CDs sound better than anything else (I don't have a turntable but I do have a selection of LPs).

At work, or out walking, I listen to my iPod which is mostly mp3s ripped from my own collection anyway. I listen to mp3s on the computer when I'm sampling a new band or something I'm curious about.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I wish I had all FLAC but in the middle of rebuilding my all time favorite music to this format. I have SA CDs, DVD Audio (which I do convert to FLAC) and some new old vinyl (180 gram stuff) that I send to REEL to REEL the first listen (talk about old school).

I have both Apple and MP3 on my iPHONE which I listen to in the car and at work. But at home, it is FLAC first, SA CD next and then reel to reel... very loudly.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jkleban View Post
    I wish I had all FLAC but in the middle of rebuilding my all time favorite music to this format. I have SA CDs, DVD Audio (which I do convert to FLAC) and some new old vinyl (180 gram stuff) that I send to REEL to REEL the first listen (talk about old school).

I have both Apple and MP3 on my iPHONE which I listen to in the car and at work. But at home, it is FLAC first, SA CD next and then reel to reel... very loudly.

Jim
    This might be a question for the audiophile thread, but have you found a reel to reel player that is reliable and doesn't break down simply by looking at it? I've actually thought about seeking out a machine but the tapes are incredibly expensive and I've read that the players themselves need constant maintenance.

CD or radio

The majority of my listening is done in my man cave, which means wav files or CDs played into small bookshelf speakers. A few times a week I work on the laptop in my living room where the "big" stereo is and then its all CDs. I keep about 500 albums on MP3 on an external drive for the iPhone and iPad. That's the only time I rely on MP3s.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Aside from the occasional live music, I listen to music almost exclusively on my ipod or computer either through speakers or the little ear buds. The actual format that the songs are stored in vary, most are the Apple format (m4a?) or mp3. I have a few FLACs but not many. Rarely I'll put on a CD and occasionally I'll put on FM radio to see if any of the local stations are playing anything even remotely good.

Combination of CD, vinyl and hi-res (FLAC) at home.

Been getting some native DSD lately. Really impressed with that format.

CD in the car.

I can not listen to MP3. Once the sonic problems with that format were pointed out to me, I can't unhear them. Even at 320 k.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Mostly CDs. Some vinyl. MP3s when traveling by air.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Beta. No I meant VHS.
    You joke, but I knew a guy who would transfer vinyl to hi-fi VHS tape. It really did offer very good sound, better than the best audio cassette tape.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    CDs or youtube/bandcamp.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Well, you can re-rip at a higher bit rate, or re-rip to a loss-less format, of course. I must have been thinking ah
    ead, because none of my MP3's are less 192kb (most are 320).
    Not quite sure what you mean here, but you can of course change formats, but if you convert a file from wav to 192mp3 you can never go back to higher bit-rate. The quality will always be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Technically and sonically, mp3s do not 'upscale' you cannot put the quality back that is lost when encoding to mp3.
    (shrug) I don't hear any "lost quality" on my mp3's. I think they sound just fine. (shrug)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    (shrug) I don't hear any "lost quality" on my mp3's. I think they sound just fine. (shrug)
    It all depends on what equipment you are playing it back on. On earbuds or computer speakers, I can't hear the difference either. A great set of headphones or playing on the system in my living room, the difference is definitely there. My wife burned a CD of some stuff she downloaded on iTunes. It sounded fine on the factory systems in our cars but when she played it on the big system it was "why does my CD sound like shit?"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart