Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wonky Pop (Cardiacs, XTC, Ween etc)

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Been hearing a lot about Cardiacs lately. I'd heard them described as "punk prog", but is that really accurate? I don't much care for punk, but I love quirky pop music (like XTC).

What would be a good starting point with them?
    I don't particularly like punk either, but Cardiacs make it fun. Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window.

Ha, Ernie (NoPride) - just realized that maybe you thought I meant my own self when I mentioned sElf (sElf is a band/project name for the work of the very brilliant and wonky poppy Matt Mahaffey) - unless you were joking...either way thanks for posting my stuff which I do agree often fits this category

Trojan Horse?

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Ha, Ernie (NoPride) - just realized that maybe you thought I meant my own self when I mentioned sElf (sElf is a band/project name for the work of the very brilliant and wonky poppy Matt Mahaffey) - unless you were joking...either way thanks for posting my stuff which I do agree often fits this category
    I wasn't joking and that is what I thought, Mike! I never heard of sELF and thought maybe you accidentally hit the "caps" key. But all's well that ends well and I know I opened the door (or at least cracked a window) to your music for one person who was not previously initiated (and perhaps others), so I guess you could call it a happy accident!

I thought it was odd that (the very humble) Mike was recommending his own (really rather wonderful) music, and naturally assumed it was an artist and / or group.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    If you're not familiar with Mike Keneally's work, you should do something about that! It's not all "wonky pop," but it IS all high quality (and very creative) progressive music.
    I'm familiar with some, but woefully not enough. After visiting his site and checking out some of his stuff, I see his music is right up my alley (well, one of my alleys-I seem to have a few)

Maybe a bit more polished and a bit less weird than some of the acts mentioned here, but we are definitely pop with prog credentials. From our first album, a Brian Eno cover:

And from our second album, a non-ironic tribute to Elric:

LOVE this thread.

Anyone know the band Jellyfish? Still gotta get this album but I love it

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    LOVE this thread.

Yep! They made some great stuff, both their albums are worth owning for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yep! They made some great stuff, both their albums are worth owning for sure.
    agree about that

LOVE this thread.

Anyone know the band Jellyfish?
    I think a lot of people here know about Jellyfish and there have been threads about them. I have "Spilt Milk" on CD and I used to have the debut on vinyl (when I had vinyl). I should restock!

EDIT: oops what I had posted here was already said in the first post of the thread, hehe.

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Last edited by B D; 05-19-2015 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Eldrige Skell's The Rude Staircase- Sookie Jump

A sorta obsccure one off mostly featuring musicians from around Washinton D.C if I remember correctly. The disc was mixed by Bob Drake, who's own work deserves a mention here as well.

More tracks here- https://myspace.com/therudestaircase/music/songs
    I love this album, every track is great! The talented Mr Skell did indeed send it to me to mix, it had become quite a daunting prospect for them to try and mix themselves, what with such a large group with so many instruments and lots of vocals, there was an awful lot to sort out and somehow put in that space between two speakers. Just the sort of thing I love doing when the songs as good as these. Everything in each track is there for a reason and the songs are excellent. Another of my favorite things I have had the pleasure to work upon ever.

The track posted in Morpheus' post above was Skell's reaction to having recently "discovered" Art Bears. I actually think it's not one of the best tracks on the album...which goes to show you how good the rest of them are!

BD
    www.bdrak.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    maybe this would be a good time to mention Max Tundra (who I think Cardiacs fans should be familiar with?) - his last 2 albums (he's only got 3) are phenominal and are very much in this vein - take a listen to what I consider one of the best pop songs of the last 10 years:

Max Tundra!!! (I'm a huge fan.)

He's the real deal.
    The Prog Corner

LOVE this thread.

Terrific band. Both LP's are pretty great.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by B D View Post
    How about Condor Moments: http://condormoments.com/blog/album
    They came to my place to record, turned out to be one of my favorite projects ever.
    You mean the band i mentioned in the opening post of this thread? Yeah, they're pretty good

It really is an incredible album though, can you get them back to do another one?

Max Tundra is a great call and is most definitely wonky pop. His second album is my favourite.

He was last seen doing the production on this:

... which was unexpected to say the least
    Last edited by loosefish; 05-19-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Another solid(ly) French band:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Have to say they didn't impress me all that much at RIO, though I have subsequently changed my mind on a number of bands I've seen there before knowing their music.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    I know I'm in a lot of weird avant chamber-core whatever bands but did you know I have a penchant for wonky pop on my dozen some odd solo albums?

- Matt
    No I didn't! And very nice it is too. I must investigate your back catalogue soon.
    Alan

A duo who did acouple of great albums back in the 70s should fit the bill nicely:

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Stump? I only know their album "A Fierce Pancake" and haven't heard it in 25 years, but in my recollection they fit the category.
    Indeed they do -they don't come much more quirky than Stump (and its just possible they are reforming right now!)

And from their bass player, Kev Hopper's first solo album, this great video:

Sorry about that! How did I miss it!? I'd love it if they were to come and do another.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    You mean the band i mentioned in the opening post of this thread? Yeah, they're pretty good

It really is an incredible album though, can you get them back to do another one?