Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Names you keep reading but never hear played.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    You haven't missed anything.
    Didn't think so, but I wasn't sure about Robyn Hitchcock or the Replacements, not even sure what genre they'd fall in (punk?) I heard a Ramones live album once, and have pretty much avoided anything related to punk ever since

So I guess Kanye's gf isn't an actress. Isn't a musician, singer or artist of any kind. And yet she's famous? How does this stuff happen?

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    So I guess Kanye's gf isn't an actress. Isn't a musician, singer or artist of any kind. And yet she's famous? How does this stuff happen?
    Well, she did 'leak' a sex tape a few years back. I guess that qualifies her for the 'Actress' achievement badge.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Problem solved.
    No no no no no no.

I thought she was a reality show star, which arguably makes her sort of a semi-quasi-psuedo-actress.

For many years I have read certain names on forums & in mags but never once heard their music played anywhere, not on TV, radio, parties, clubs,
    Many modern pop stars fit into this category for me. Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke, Carly Rae Jespen, etc. Somewhat ironically there are several "big hits" from such artists that I've heard sampled on Girl Talk's mash-up albums, but have never heard the complete original songs. Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies", for example. Or Gwen Stefani's "Hollerback Girl".

Didn't think so, but I wasn't sure about Robyn Hitchcock or the Replacements, not even sure what genre they'd fall in (punk?)
    Robyn Hitchcock is awesome. His early work with the Soft Boys was maybe sorta kinda punk, but he really fits more in the "wonky pop" category, warped singer-songwriter stuff, highly Syd Barrett influenced, with a sharp mind and a macabre sense of humor. Almost a musical Edward Gorey. I've kind of lost touch with him and haven't listened to his more recent stuff, but all of his '80s-'90s albums are great.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies"
    I heard that many times, and also saw it referred to, but it took me a long time to realise that was the song I was hearing, because instead of "All the single ladies", I thought she was singing "I'm a cigarette". Rather silly lyric, I used to think, but no worse than many other pop songs.

Yea, that might be it...but I never watched Miami Vice...but I must have heard the theme tune...I was a Hill Street Blues fan.
    that reminds me, I never watched Miami Vice either, but I used to joke around that Karl Malden and Michael Douglas were relatives on The Streets of San Francisco. from that Street family of course. I still *think* like that.

keeping with the thread:

Snoop Dog
    Justin Beiber
    Sam Smith
    Yes post-90215
    the Mahavishnu Orchestra
    Tony Levin
    Earth, Wind & Fire
    30 Seconds to Mars
    Talk Talk
    The Soft Machine
    am I confusing Alex Chilton with a wheel-chair bound musician w/similar name who took his own life? or was that Alex Chilton?
    Last edited by davis; 05-22-2015 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Well, she did 'leak' a sex tape a few years back. I guess that qualifies her for the 'Actress' achievement badge.
    yes, that's the initial source (afaik) of KK's rise to fame. I think there's a HS class about that. Fame Via Scandal. What's her name... the tall, thin blond... Paris Hilton, yeah, she initially became famous the same way.
    oh, btw, re the sex tapes going online, yeah, "leak" is right.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    that reminds me, I never watched Miami Vice either, but I used to joke around that Karl Malden and Michael Douglas were relatives on The Streets of San Francisco. from that Street family of course. I still *think* like that.

keeping with the thread:

Snoop Dog
    Justin Beiber
    Sam Smith
    Yes post-90215
    the Mahavishnu Orchestra
    Tony Levin
    Earth, Wind & Fire
    30 Seconds to Mars
    Talk Talk
    The Soft Machine
    am I confusing Alex Chilton with a wheel-chair bound musician w/similar name who took his own life? or was that Alex Chilton?
    According to Wikipedia Alex Chilton died of a heart attack; no mention of being wheelchair-bound.

Of your list, Earth Wind and Fire are worth a listen, though their music was a bit too danceable to be called prog. "September" seems to crop up regularly on 70s-oriented radio stations.
    I'm sure others will also enlighten you on Talk Talk, who began as a rather run-of-the-mill synth-pop band but evolved with each album, until by the time of their last album they are sounding almost reminiscent of No-man.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    You might be thinking of Vic Chesnutt, who I only know from Sling Blade.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post

keeping with the thread:

Snoop Dog
    Justin Beiber
    Sam Smith
    Yes post-90215
    the Mahavishnu Orchestra
    Tony Levin
    Earth, Wind & Fire
    30 Seconds to Mars
    Talk Talk
    The Soft Machine
    Never heard the first 3 on your list either, or '30 seconds...'. But I quite like Talk Talk and Soft Machine. If you like prog fusion, 'Mahavishnu Orchestra' is the stuff, but not everyone is a fan of fusion.
    I thought she was a reality show star, which arguably makes her sort of a semi-quasi-psuedo-actress.
    Oh. Guess I don't seem to know much about stuff I don't give much of a crap about.

Many modern pop stars fit into this category for me. Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke, Carly Rae Jespen, etc. Somewhat ironically there are several "big hits" from such artists that I've heard sampled on Girl Talk's mash-up albums, but have never heard the complete original songs. Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies", for example. Or Gwen Stefani's "Hollerback Girl".
    'Hollerback Girl' is about the worst song I have ever heard. One of very very few songs I actually hate. Just a meaningless FYI

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    No no no no no no.

I do think that it's one of The Dregs' greatest tracks. But practically all of their stuff was pretty high quality. I didn't put a lot of thought in choosing which tune to post. They pretty much had me at hello... and the very first track I ever heard of theirs was "Take It Off the Top," so I posted that one and of course, I still love it!

What If is a truly great album all the way through- not a bad track on it. Dregs of the Earth has a couple less awesome bits but IFO is really one of favorite tunes they did! Unsung Heros is strong as well. I'm with you- just about all their music was great.

Velvet Underground.

Also, most of the seminal punk bands. I don't think I've ever heard a thing from the Ramones or the Sex Pistols, for example. I've heard the Clash a few times, but I think that's about it.

Suspended
    I read somewhere that the Ramones sold more T-shirts than they sold records.

The Sex Pistols' "Pretty Vacant" actually has quite a good rocking intro, and I'm sure U2 nicked it, consciously or unconsciously, for "Even better Than the Real Thing".

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Also, most of the seminal punk bands. I don't think I've ever heard a thing from the Ramones or the Sex Pistols, for example.
    The Ramones had a bunch of hits. Difficult to imagine anyone over 30 not being familiar with "Blitzkrieg Bop", "I Wanna Be Sedated", "Rockaway Beach", or "Rock and Roll High School", for example.

From the Sex Pistols I only know "God Save the Queen" and "Anarchy in the UK".

As big as these bands are in prog circles you will rarely hear them mentioned in the media(non prog internet)or played on the radio etc:

King Crimson (sorry but it's true even though they are legendary)
    Gentle Giant
    Van Der Graaf Generator
    PFM
    Banco
    Gong
    Camel
    Nektar
    Barclay James Harvest
    Kayak
    Any second tier prog band for that matter
    Porcupine Tree (although they just barely make the list since they are pretty well known despite not having an album out in over 5 years)
    Anglagard
    Marillion
    Spock's Beard
    Flower Kings
    IQ

All important bands in prog circles (and a few even a bit beyond)but all pretty much neglected every where else.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've never heard some of the major Krautrock bands, except for a track here or there that I forget:

Neu
    Faust
    Can

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    It does surprise me that people of a certain age on this site have not even explored some of these really quite big names over the years. If I read about a band I missed back in the day, I will always go and listen to their recommended albums, just to check them out. I don't think there's many that I have never heard anything by.

I may be missing PeterG's point, but Todd, Television, Soft Machine, The Replacements, UK, Mars Volta... These are amongst some of my favourites over the years, and yes they will have limited radio appeal (other than Todd's hits), but they have a broad appeal amongst rock music fans, so I would expect the average interested music fan would have sought them out.
    no insult to you, but I avoid the Replacements actively, as I do Wilco and Uncle Tupelo, because of the dingbats on the Yahoo! Rock Music Boards. If you did not like those three bands, Ed Dill and company pretty much deemed you an immature troll.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    no insult to you, but I avoid the Replacements actively, as I do Wilco and Uncle Tupelo, because of the dingbats on the Yahoo! Rock Music Boards. If you did not like those three bands, Ed Dill and company pretty much deemed you an immature troll.
    you might try Hank 3. he does great country stuff (far away from mainstream country), but for you I recommend 3 Bar Ranch: Cattle Callin' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrDg...BAF25AAF8B304D and Assjack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Kh-D7GstA. I love the Cattle Callin' record. it's chaotic yet rhythmic. also there's his Attention Deficit Domination project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f7_..._GmFf_tg3Z9Ntf

I know a lot of people think 'good country' music is an oxymoron. give this a chance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tLT...YBSF93WVgcImIB
    Last edited by davis; 06-04-2015 at 03:28 PM.