Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crimson w/ Wetton in the Future???

Crimson w/ Wetton in the Future???

Do u think Fripp gets off the Jakko train and brings in Wetton to tour Larks or Red in Full in the future or would that be a dream????

"Time to wake up now"
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Yes.

Do Fripp and Wetton have a fued I 'm not aware of???

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Is that the past tense of "fu"?

When this Crim was getting together last summer, Fripp had said that Wetton was coming over to visit. It could've been town old friends getting together (I think they've remained on good terms) or, as was surmised by folk around here, it could've been Fripp asking Wetton on board. Who knows, right? I'm happy with Jakko in Crim.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Here's the thread where Wetton's potential involvement was discussed:
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ighlight=Jakko

"The meeting with John, Jakko, Mel, and Gavin went well. It is possible that those on the guestbook wanting to hear John sing Schizoid Man again may yet get their way - or it may all collapse into a mush of cream cakes, who knows. More on that later" (http://dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=23770).

I forgot it went as far as Wetton meeting with other members. Asia commitments?

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Do Fripp and Wetton have a fued I 'm not aware of???
    Not at all. But it's been pretty clear for a very long time that Fripp is in a place musically that JW doesn't really want any part of, and vice versa. Plus, Fripp seems to already have a very large pool of collaborators to work with so it's just a matter of their ships having sailed in different directions many many years ago and neither feeling the need to change that.

What prompts you to ask in the first place?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Doubt it. While they seem to remain friends I don't see this Fall's lineup changing. Would John play bass and boot out Levin? No way. Would his acoustic guitar strumming replace Jakko's electric soloing? No way. There's just no room for him.

Will Fripp ever stand up when playing?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Maybe KC would also do Asia's latest single: Valkyrie. Not.

I actually don't mind the song...

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Not at all. But it's been pretty clear for a very long time that Fripp is in a place musically that JW doesn't really want any part of, and vice versa. Plus, Fripp seems to already have a very large pool of collaborators to work with so it's just a matter of their ships having sailed in different directions many many years ago and neither feeling the need to change that.

What prompts you to ask in the first place?
    Because this is a forum for discussion and I think seeing Wetton Live in the Crimson fold again would be major bad-ass. But I guess Wetton would have to play bass or would he join just to sing?? I dunno, just thinking out loud. There's no denying the magic Wetton and Fripp created when they were in the band together.....

I don't know, weirder things have happened.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    They're still playing out this present concept of King Crimson. So, unless members of the existing line-up jump off, there simply isn't a vacancy. Unless Wetton can drum, of course, then I suppose they can add one more.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Here's the thread where Wetton's potential involvement was discussed:
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ighlight=Jakko

"The meeting with John, Jakko, Mel, and Gavin went well. It is possible that those on the guestbook wanting to hear John sing Schizoid Man again may yet get their way - or it may all collapse into a mush of cream cakes, who knows. More on that later" (http://dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=23770).

I forgot it went as far as Wetton meeting with other members. Asia commitments?
    UK played Starless subsequent to this. Close enough.

IMO Wetton doesn't even come near to having the bad-ass bass chops he had in 1974 Crim. Still a good vocalist, but I think Fripp made the right decision with Jakko. First saw him with the 21st Century Schizoid Band and knew then and there that he could easily be the new Lake/Wetton. Great singer, great guitarist!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Wetton still can sing pretty well but why would Fripp choose Wetton to play bass over Levin unless Levin leaves the band? No comparison between what the two can bring to Crimson bass-wise. So unless Fripp wants Wetton in the band solely for vocals, I can't see this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Because this is a forum for discussion and I think seeing Wetton Live in the Crimson fold again would be major bad-ass. But I guess Wetton would have to play bass or would he join just to sing?? I dunno, just thinking out loud. There's no denying the magic Wetton and Fripp created when they were in the band together.....
    I'm guessing you did NOT get to a District 97 show with John Wetton where they played everything you could hope to hear from those KC albums....

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    There's just no room for him.
    We're talking about a band with three drummers, right?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Will Fripp ever stand up when playing?
    why should he?

Maybe Fripp will be inspired to do a triple trio next?

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Wetton still can sing pretty well but why would Fripp choose Wetton to play bass over Levin?
    Agreed, but the thing is, at one point he was considering it and had even gone to the point of having Wetton meet with the other guys. It seems unlikely that Fripp would've asked Wetton to think about it if he were just going to sing.

Of course, anything is possible when RF is involved...

I feel that Jakko is the ideal vocalist for this version of the band. He's a good singer but not as much of a stage presence as Wetton or Belew. I was much more interested to hear the new arrangements and interplay between the musicians, I probably wouldn't have missed the vocals if he didn't sing at all. If Wetton was back in the band I'd want to see him in the front line, preferably in a four or five piece formation.

And the only former Crimson bassist I'd want to replace Tony with is Trey, much as I loved Wettons work with the band.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    why should he?
    Maybe if he had a case of the piles.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    why should he?
    I want to see how tall he really is... and it would be news, he has been sitting since 1970 (which was news then).