Thread: BOX OF SHAMANS Release "Belief and Illusion" on 10T Records

BOX OF SHAMANS Release "Belief and Illusion" on 10T Records

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

May 12, 2015

BOX OF SHAMANS Release "Belief and Illusion" on 10T Records

Atlanta, GA - May 12, 2015 (10T Records) - 10T Records is thrilled to announce the release of "Belief and Illusion," the debut studio release by BOX OF SHAMANS, on May 12, 2014, with a retail street date of June 16, 2015.

Hailing out of Los Angeles, Box of Shamans is a new musical project featuring current members of last year's break-out progressive rock band, Heliopolis, venturing into more adventurous and darker cinematic territory on their debut, "Belief and Illusion." Box of Shamans is led by the multi-instrumental prowess of Michael Matier (Heliopolis, Ten Jinn) and the soaring voice and wordplay of Scott Jones (Heliopolis, Rocket Scientists), who have been writing together for many years. Virtuoso drummer Jerry Beller (Heliopolis, Mars Hollow) joins them for this release. Together they create a unique fusion of styles that will excite all fans of cutting-edge modern progressive rock.

Box of Shamans is a true collaborative effort between Michael and Scott. Having been in two previous musical projects together, they have developed a unique creative bond that allows for each to exert independent "free reign" over their respective roles. Michael creates pieces of music in his home studio, and then gives these to Scott, who writes the lyrics and melodies in his own home studio.

"I love the way Michael's music inspires me," says Scott. "I hear it and just start singing. His outstanding musicianship on all instruments drives me to be a better singer."

"Scott makes my job easy," add Michael. "He can write a great vocal melody over anything I give him, plus multiple harmonies! His creativity and unique voice provide a direction for the music. He makes ideas into songs.”"

"Scott and I were hoping to find a label to team up with so our music could actually reach a few people," says Michael. "During a Heliopolis rehearsal, I asked Kerry (Chicoine) and Jerry (Beller) how Mars Hollow felt about 10T. They both were very complimentary on how 10T ran their label, how Mars Hollow was treated so well, and how Steve and Jeff were so great to work with...and they were right! 10T has been patiently supportive beyond the bounds of reason or rhyme for this project, and we are grateful and excited to release this album with them!"

"We love to work with friends," says 10T Records president, Steve Carroll. "And that's exactly what Michael and Scott have become to us. We actually signed Box of Shamans independently prior to signing Heliopolis, but shuffled the releases around a bit. We couldn't be more excited to finally be bringing this great album to the fans of all the bands that these great musicians have sown into over the years."

"Belief and Illusion" is a culmination of years of friendship, dedication, determination, belief, and the sheer joy of creating music together. The band was able to recruit the talents of such greats as John Prpich (Heliopolis, Edgar Winter), who mixed and produced "Belief and Illusion," and Scott Sedillo (U2), of Bernie Grundman Mastering, who mastered it.

"Belief and Illusion" by Box of Shamans is now available to preview in its entirety exclusively on the Box of Shamans artist page on the 10T Records website:

http://10trecords.com/artists/genres...s/discography/

All orders in any format are available for immediate delivery through 10T Records. After June 16th, "Belief and Illusion" will be available through your favorite retail outlet.

For further information:
    Steve Carroll
    10T Records
    www.10trecords.com
    # # #

Attached Images Attached Images

Jefferson James
    I am very excited and brimming with happiness to see this album released; Michael Matier and Scott Jones went through significantly difficult times during the making of this album and, to me anyway, it most definitely shows.

Being in Heliopolis together, I'd heard bits and pieces of "Belief and Illusion" over the past couple of years but I honestly didn't have a clue as to what to expect of the final result.

I scored a copy a few weeks ago and spent the next two days listening to it repeatedly, a lot of that time wiping away tears; perhaps I am biased knowing the guys, but the songs really connect with me. It's a very emotional album, lyrically; Scott goes into some heavy territory here, but, as is his nature, the darkness is offset by glimpses of hope.

Musically it's all over the map but in a cohesive way, if that makes sense; Michael Matier has a weird and wonderful way with rhythm and melody, and "Belief and Illusion" is an outstanding showcase of his array of talents (he is responsible for all sounds on the record except drums, which were delivered by Heliopolis' Jerry Beller, and vocals). It ranges from melodic rock ("Intruder"), to Crimson-esque heaviness ("Illusory Ploy", the amazing album closer with, I swear, an absolutely classic Michael Matier guitar solo, which I absolutely *love*), to Smile-era Beach Boys ("May Daze", Scott's gorgeous and intense tribute to his late father's passing), to Zappa-esque instrumentals ("Optical Delusion", a Heliopolis live staple), to spacey prog-rock epics ("The Search").

For those who may have seen Heliopolis at RoSFest 2015, we played four selections from "Belief and Illusion" ("Belief/Illusory Ploy", "Optical Delusion" and the acapella intro to "Searching"); we not only wanted to support our band mates, we genuinely dig the music and it's a blast to deliver live. I only mention this should a demand arise for Box of Shamans live performances; we are effectively two bands in one at this point.

There was talk about, perhaps, Matt Brown (keys) and me overdubbing our parts and releasing "Belief and Illusion" as the second Heliopolis album but in the end, it didn't feel right to any of us; the album stands alone as a complete statement with credit due solely to Michael, Scott and Jerry.

As with all 10T releases, the album is streaming in full at their website so if you're interested, it's there for the taking; if you're a Facebooker, perhaps consider checking out the Box of Shamans Facebook page.

Congrats to my brothers in music and to 10T Records, and big thanks to anyone willing to give this a listen.

This is a very good album. I'm looking forward to finding more time to further enjoy it.

I think I might buy this.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman