Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ever-Expanding Gear Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Nice looking bass, Bill!

I'm looking to get rid of a bunch of stuff that I'm not using (something we've been trying to do with our furniture and such as well - we have way too much junk for two people). I really want to reduce clutter and simplify as much as possible. I have three electric guitars, an acoustic, and two basses...but I'm really having a hard time parting with any of those. Mostly I want to have a much smaller, lighter bass rig to save my back. I just started playing bass with an "acoustic" trio. They were two acoustic guitar players and they both sing (they have little acoustic guitar amps which have an extra channel for a vocal mic), but they both also play drums (they'll use a Yamaha Hipgig set). Could be fun and I like that it will be pleasant volume levels.

But I'm having a hell of a time getting any equipment to sell on Craigslist or Facebook. I'd like to finance any new equipment by selling off some unused stuff first.
    Lighter bass rig with quality sound? Not too expensive?
    Two words:

Fender Rumble.

They have lots of sizes and they are superb values with excellent sound. Very light weight. I love my 500 Combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Just scored this bass on Reverb for $600:

Attachment 9549Attachment 9550

It's a Michael Tobias Design Kingston. Korean made, but is essentially their "entry-level boutique" bass. I have a Korean made Tobias Toby Pro five string that I've used for years, but in most music I play I don't really use the 5th string (I string it with a high C, I hate having a low B string). I'm also not such a fantastic fretless player that I won't benefit from the fret lines on this one, my Toby Pro is unlined.

The book on these is that they are great basses with somewhat weak pickups and preamp. An Aguliar Op-Amp supposedly fixes the preamp issue, and that's just $140, so I'll play with it for a while and see if I feel that is necessary. There are lots of drop-in options for these pickups too, so I'm not that worried about the electronics.

I'll A/B this and the Toby for a while and keep the one I wind up liking best. At $600, I figure I can turn this one around pretty easy if I don't like it, and that's probably near what I could get for the Toby.

Bill
    Congrats! Looks to be an excellent bass. How is the "mwaaah" factor?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Congrats! Looks to be an excellent bass. How is the "mwaaah" factor?
    Haven't gotten it yet, just ordered it last night. I'm eagerly awaiting a shipping notice and will keep you posted.

I can get good mwaaah out of any fretless that has a bridge pickup and is equipped with roundwound strings. The big question mark for me will be the harmonics and whether I can balance a tone that produces good harmonic clarity with a non-brittle low end. It's a delicate balance. It has a three band EQ, which should help, though I tend to center my instrument's EQ and do most of my tone shaping with the amp or pedals. With this bass, though, I could potentially see making more use of the EQ.

That Rumble 500 Combo looks very nice. The only problem is I really want a 15" speaker when I'm playing loud, and that is a 2X10. Also the horn is just on/off, where on the Carvin it is dimmable as well. So the Carvin works for me, plus it is modular - you don't have to bring the whole thing if you don't need it. Carvin appears to be running almost the same special as when I got mine (I actually got two sets because they were so incredibly cheap), the MB10 plus the 15" extension cab for $468. I think I got mine for around $350 each, which was insane.

Bill

Haven't gotten it yet, just ordered it last night. I'm eagerly awaiting a shipping notice and will keep you posted.

I can get good mwaaah out of any fretless that has a bridge pickup and is equipped with roundwound strings. The big question mark for me will be the harmonics and whether I can balance a tone that produces good harmonic clarity with a non-brittle low end. It's a delicate balance. It has a three band EQ, which should help, though I tend to center my instrument's EQ and do most of my tone shaping with the amp or pedals. With this bass, though, I could potentially see making more use of the EQ.

That Rumble 500 Combo looks very nice. The only problem is I really want a 15" speaker when I'm playing loud, and that is a 2X10. Also the horn is just on/off, where on the Carvin it is dimmable as well. So the Carvin works for me, plus it is modular - you don't have to bring the whole thing if you don't need it. Carvin appears to be running almost the same special as when I got mine (I actually got two sets because they were so incredibly cheap), the MB10 plus the 15" extension cab for $468. I think I got mine for around $350 each, which was insane.

Bill
    Thanks for all the info! I have a high opinion of Carvin gear.
    I too like the sound of a 15" and have had my eye on a Rumble 15" cab to pair with my combo to unleash the full 500 watts and add the distinctive tone of the 15.

Please update us when you get the bass and put it through its paces.

Thanks for all the info! I have a high opinion of Carvin gear.
    I too like the sound of a 15" and have had my eye on a Rumble 15" cab to pair with my combo to unleash the full 500 watts and add the distinctive tone of the 15.
    That would be awesome. That would make its capacity 150 watts louder than the Carvin which is 350 watts when paired with the 15, but a bit heavier overall. Still, a very nice setup!

Please update us when you get the bass and put it through its paces.
    I will!

Bill

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. When the time comes I definitely will be making the effort to try out several different bass amp options. I am currently using an Ampeg B2-RE with an Ampeg 1x15 and a Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 2x10. They are both 8ohm cabinets and when I use both it's 450 watts. The 1x15 cabinet is a pretty reasonable weight, but the Mesa 2x10 is nearly 70 lbs.! Maybe I'm just being a perfectionist, but this rig just doesn't seem to do anything as well as I'd like. I'm not sure if it's my bass/pickups, the limitations of the amp/speakers, or just my inability to find the right combination of EQ settings, but I can't really get a satisfactory "Ampeg" (prog bass?) sound or a satisfactory sound of the less trebly, punchy, growly funk type sound.

When I first started playing bass I used my friend's G-K 700RB which was bi-amped (1x15 on the low end, 2x10 for mids and highs). I jammed with another friend a couple years ago and used his G-K (not sure which one). Both of those sounded warmer and punchier than my Ampeg.

I've tried recording bass with various methods. I've mic'ed the amp, I've gone direct to the mixer, I've used my Sansamp Bass Driver. None of those satisfy for some reason. The Sansamp always seems to lack warmth. All this leads me to think that I either need new pickups in my basses or a really nice (read: expensive) tube preamp/compressor or both.

But it's two different problems really. I can deal with slightly imperfect sound in the live setting (I have for years), but the problems when recording are far more obvious.

I will have to take some time to check out Reverb. I don't want to get into shipping big pieces across the country though.
    <sig out of order>

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. When the time comes I definitely will be making the effort to try out several different bass amp options. I am currently using an Ampeg B2-RE with an Ampeg 1x15 and a Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 2x10. They are both 8ohm cabinets and when I use both it's 450 watts. The 1x15 cabinet is a pretty reasonable weight, but the Mesa 2x10 is nearly 70 lbs.! Maybe I'm just being a perfectionist, but this rig just doesn't seem to do anything as well as I'd like. I'm not sure if it's my bass/pickups, the limitations of the amp/speakers, or just my inability to find the right combination of EQ settings, but I can't really get a satisfactory "Ampeg" (prog bass?) sound or a satisfactory sound of the less trebly, punchy, growly funk type sound.

When I first started playing bass I used my friend's G-K 700RB which was bi-amped (1x15 on the low end, 2x10 for mids and highs). I jammed with another friend a couple years ago and used his G-K (not sure which one). Both of those sounded warmer and punchier than my Ampeg.

I've tried recording bass with various methods. I've mic'ed the amp, I've gone direct to the mixer, I've used my Sansamp Bass Driver. None of those satisfy for some reason. The Sansamp always seems to lack warmth. All this leads me to think that I either need new pickups in my basses or a really nice (read: expensive) tube preamp/compressor or both.

But it's two different problems really. I can deal with slightly imperfect sound in the live setting (I have for years), but the problems when recording are far more obvious.
    It's hard to know what the issue is. You seem to want more "warmth and punch." In theory, an Ampeg would deliver the warmth. Have you tried it with only the 15" speaker? Maybe that would help create a warmer tone, but I'm not sure it would help with "punch." With Ampeg, I'm not sure you're going to get the "Prog Bass" sound from anything but an SVT, which is a very unique enclosure. The focus on most Ampeds is mids, with the flip-tops being a bit warmer, and the SVT having those absolutely screaming mids that cut through anything.

If you liked the GK, that is almost exactly the opposite of the Ampeg. It's known for the scooped sound, deep lows and intense highs, with very little in-between. Of course, this is adjustable (as it probably is on your Ampeg with the EQ), but amps do tend to have sweet spots, and maybe what you really want to hear isn't as much of a natural fit for your amp and speaker setup. Perhaps you need a horn or tweeter as well? I'd recommend going somewhere you could try a variety of things, and see if something catches your fancy. It's tough, though, because what sounds good with bass in isolation is often too little (or occasionally too much) when you're playing with the band. Very frustrating.

With the Carvin amps I bought, I chose the elements that were important to me and just figured I could tweak them to get the sound I wanted. I wanted a 15" bottom, but also wanted some speakers that would give me a bit more top-end definition with a dimmable horn. And I wanted it to be light. And cheap. The Carvin fit the bill, but believe me, I'm constantly tweaking things to get the perfect sound. By and large, though, I've been happy with them, and only if I wanted to move fully to a more "vintage" sound would I move away from them. Also with multiple basses and multiple styles I play in, I need different settings. I've actually moved to trying to keep the amp very flat and use a multi-effects pedal to do most of the tone sculpting, with different patches for different basses to help even out the volumes. It actually works well, and at times I've thought of getting rid of the amp altogether and going with more of a "powered speaker" approach. But I have the Carvins, they work, and are light, so it's not a big priority.

All that is to say that perhaps by trying different amps, you could identify the elements that are important to you and pick a proper combination of them, with the assumption you'd be tweaking it from there. My sense is you just don't have the right amp, or speakers, or both, and I'm skeptical that a pickup change would really do much to help your situation... but who knows?

I will have to take some time to check out Reverb. I don't want to get into shipping big pieces across the country though.
    You can do local pickup on Reverb. It won't attract as broad attention, but it's another avenue for you to sell.

Good luck!

Bill

Great post, Bill!
    Thank you!

It's hard to know what the issue is. You seem to want more "warmth and punch." In theory, an Ampeg would deliver the warmth. Have you tried it with only the 15" speaker? Maybe that would help create a warmer tone, but I'm not sure it would help with "punch." With Ampeg, I'm not sure you're going to get the "Prog Bass" sound from anything but an SVT, which is a very unique enclosure. The focus on most Ampeds is mids, with the flip-tops being a bit warmer, and the SVT having those absolutely screaming mids that cut through anything.

If you liked the GK, that is almost exactly the opposite of the Ampeg. It's known for the scooped sound, deep lows and intense highs, with very little in-between. Of course, this is adjustable (as it probably is on your Ampeg with the EQ), but amps do tend to have sweet spots, and maybe what you really want to hear isn't as much of a natural fit for your amp and speaker setup. Perhaps you need a horn or tweeter as well? I'd recommend going somewhere you could try a variety of things, and see if something catches your fancy. It's tough, though, because what sounds good with bass in isolation is often too little (or occasionally too much) when you're playing with the band. Very frustrating.

With the Carvin amps I bought, I chose the elements that were important to me and just figured I could tweak them to get the sound I wanted. I wanted a 15" bottom, but also wanted some speakers that would give me a bit more top-end definition with a dimmable horn. And I wanted it to be light. And cheap. The Carvin fit the bill, but believe me, I'm constantly tweaking things to get the perfect sound. By and large, though, I've been happy with them, and only if I wanted to move fully to a more "vintage" sound would I move away from them. Also with multiple basses and multiple styles I play in, I need different settings. I've actually moved to trying to keep the amp very flat and use a multi-effects pedal to do most of the tone sculpting, with different patches for different basses to help even out the volumes. It actually works well, and at times I've thought of getting rid of the amp altogether and going with more of a "powered speaker" approach. But I have the Carvins, they work, and are light, so it's not a big priority.

All that is to say that perhaps by trying different amps, you could identify the elements that are important to you and pick a proper combination of them, with the assumption you'd be tweaking it from there. My sense is you just don't have the right amp, or speakers, or both, and I'm skeptical that a pickup change would really do much to help your situation... but who knows?

You can do local pickup on Reverb. It won't attract as broad attention, but it's another avenue for you to sell.

Good luck!

Bill

Thanks for the note, Bill. That's a great point about the GK versus the Ampeg. This probably points out the fact that I don't really know what I want and I will know it when I hear it. And also that I can be happy (I think) with either type of amp as long as I feel that they're doing what they do in a quality way, if that makes sense. I basically like what the Ampeg does in a broad sense, but I feel like the upper mids and highs are kind of harsh - not smooth and warm. And the low end wasn't punchy and tight. I was thinking a 4x10 cabinet might help that?

The guy who took over playing bass in the band I was in last year got a much more clearly defined sound that was more or less of the same general character of the Ampeg, but he was using all Mesa stuff. In contrast, my Ampeg sounded great while I was standing right in front of it (in the same, very loud band), but the sound fell apart after you got about 12 feet away.

But I think you're right - the only way is to try a lot of amps and speaker combinations.
    <sig out of order>

This probably points out the fact that I don't really know what I want
    LOL, what musician does? And even when they do, it eventually changes!

I will know it when I hear it. And also that I can be happy (I think) with either type of amp as long as I feel that they're doing what they do in a quality way, if that makes sense.
    Totally. You're far more likely to question cheaper gear, or gear that doesn't have much pedigree, than a tried and true brand or model. Your Ampeg model is not really one I know much about, unlike several others, and there's probably a reason for that. Not that it's bad, but there may be better stuff by Ampeg out there, or another maker that suits you better.

I basically like what the Ampeg does in a broad sense, but I feel like the upper mids and highs are kind of harsh - not smooth and warm. And the low end wasn't punchy and tight.
    That's not the Ampeg reputation. This may well be your specific model amp, or your specific amp, or your specific amp setting. But Ampeg, to my mind, is known for clear, articulate mids and warmth. Punchiness, perhaps not so much if your talking slapping, etc. But they are usually super clear on fundamental notes.

I was thinking a 4x10 cabinet might help that?
    Really, the sky's the limit in terms of possible solutions to your issue. You'll just have to try different things and see what gets you closer to what you want to hear. Personally, I've never been a fan of 4X10 cabs. I find them brittle. But that may be the perfect solution for you, though you already have the 2X10, so I wonder what benefit the 4X10 will really get you. But who knows?

The guy who took over playing bass in the band I was in last year got a much more clearly defined sound that was more or less of the same general character of the Ampeg, but he was using all Mesa stuff. In contrast, my Ampeg sounded great while I was standing right in front of it (in the same, very loud band), but the sound fell apart after you got about 12 feet away.
    Mesa stuff is pretty killer. I've actually never played with their amps because I know I can't justify paying what they want for their amps. But their reputation precedes them.

One thing I do at rehearsal is stand as far away from my amp as possible. I often set it at the other end of the room, so it's facing me. I want to hear what the other people in the band are hearing. This helps me shape the tone, especially since I'm doing a lot of the sculpting with EQ on my multi-effects pedal. Sadly, you can't do this as easily at a gig where your amp is really serving as your personal monitor. But at least if you've sculpted the tone in rehearsal for a good sound at a 12-15 foot projection, you can assume that it at least sounds better to the audience, particularly in a small room.

But I think you're right - the only way is to try a lot of amps and speaker combinations.
    It's either that or just take a chance on something different that you think might or should work. But it sounds like you have enough ambiguity that some experimentation would be worthwhile. I was pretty set in what I wanted when I got the Carvins. It doesn't sound like you're at that point just yet.

Good luck, keep us posted. I just got the ship notice on my bass, it arrives next Thursday.

Bill

Totally. You're far more likely to question cheaper gear, or gear that doesn't have much pedigree, than a tried and true brand or model. Your Ampeg model is not really one I know much about, unlike several others, and there's probably a reason for that. Not that it's bad, but there may be better stuff by Ampeg out there, or another maker that suits you better.
    Looking around on Reverb my Ampeg model isn't fetching great prices. Some reviews I've seen mentioned reliability problems associated with build quality (made in China), but the ones that work more than a few minutes out of the box (the vast majority) seem to keep going, lol. It's not a bad amp, just not great and I also heard this head is finicky about what speaker cabinet one uses (as you mentioned might be the case).

Really, the sky's the limit in terms of possible solutions to your issue. You'll just have to try different things and see what gets you closer to what you want to hear. Personally, I've never been a fan of 4X10 cabs. I find them brittle. But that may be the perfect solution for you, though you already have the 2X10, so I wonder what benefit the 4X10 will really get you. But who knows?
    I found one reviewer that felt a 4x10 (at 4ohm for max power) was the best cabinet for my Ampeg head. That is originally what I demoed it with. Maybe I should've held out for a 4x10...when I went back to actually buy the rig a couple weeks later they didn't have any Ampeg 4x10 cabs like the one I tried out, so I went for the 1x15.

One thing I do at rehearsal is stand as far away from my amp as possible. I often set it at the other end of the room, so it's facing me. I want to hear what the other people in the band are hearing. This helps me shape the tone, especially since I'm doing a lot of the sculpting with EQ on my multi-effects pedal. Sadly, you can't do this as easily at a gig where your amp is really serving as your personal monitor. But at least if you've sculpted the tone in rehearsal for a good sound at a 12-15 foot projection, you can assume that it at least sounds better to the audience, particularly in a small room.
    Great idea!

It's either that or just take a chance on something different that you think might or should work. But it sounds like you have enough ambiguity that some experimentation would be worthwhile. I was pretty set in what I wanted when I got the Carvins. It doesn't sound like you're at that point just yet.
    You're right, I'm not there yet. I sold one piece of gear yesterday, so hopefully the equipment sale floodgates are opening and I can buy new stuff soon.

Good luck, keep us posted. I just got the ship notice on my bass, it arrives next Thursday.

Will do. Let us know how the new bass treats you.
    <sig out of order>

Lighter bass rig with quality sound? Not too expensive?
    Two words:

Fender Rumble.

They have lots of sizes and they are superb values with excellent sound. Very light weight. I love my 500 Combo.
    I've been reading some reviews on these and I like what I'm seeing. For example they seem to compare favorably with the more expensive Aguilar stuff. I will definitely be looking to demo one of these.
    <sig out of order>

I've been reading some reviews on these and I like what I'm seeing. For example they seem to compare favorably with the more expensive Aguilar stuff. I will definitely be looking to demo one of these.
    Cool. Let us know what you think.

A quick question to my fellow guitarists: When I head back to the UK in the summer I'm thinking of getting some work done to my Strat to make it more usable - it's a great guitar, but one I've barely played for several years owing to its current pickup configuration. At present, it's fitted with a Seymour Duncan Invader at the bridge, and two single coils of unknown origin, that I suspect are Kent Armstrongs. Not being a big fan of single coil pickups, but liking those 'in-between' Strat sounds, I've been thinking of replacing the bridge (the Invader is horribly unsubtle and ridiculously overbearing) and neck pickups with a Seymour Duncan JB and 59 combination. The neck pickup would require some routing to fit a full-size humbucker, as the pickups are direct mounted into the body. I was wondering, therefore, if anyone has experience of the 'Little 59,' single-coil sized humbucker that SD manufactures. To be honest, I'm rather dubious that anything other than a full-size humbucker would actually sound like one, but if it's good and saves me needing to get the top of the guitar carved into then I might consider it. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    A quick question to my fellow guitarists: When I head back to the UK in the summer I'm thinking of getting some work done to my Strat to make it more usable - it's a great guitar, but one I've barely played for several years owing to its current pickup configuration. At present, it's fitted with a Seymour Duncan Invader at the bridge, and two single coils of unknown origin, that I suspect are Kent Armstrongs. Not being a big fan of single coil pickups, but liking those 'in-between' Strat sounds, I've been thinking of replacing the bridge (the Invader is horribly unsubtle and ridiculously overbearing) and neck pickups with a Seymour Duncan JB and 59 combination. The neck pickup would require some routing to fit a full-size humbucker, as the pickups are direct mounted into the body. I was wondering, therefore, if anyone has experience of the 'Little 59,' single-coil sized humbucker that SD manufactures. To be honest, I'm rather dubious that anything other than a full-size humbucker would actually sound like one, but if it's good and saves me needing to get the top of the guitar carved into then I might consider it. Any thoughts?

It might depend on how picky you are. I probably won't be able to give you much of a useful opinion on this subject, but I liked the results of the JB Jr. I installed in my Strat. I didn't install it in the correct position though. This is a MIM Strat that I replaced all the pickups in. I was mostly looking to get rid of the horribly cheap and noisy single coils and wasn't holding onto any idea of maintaining some sort of sacred traditional Strat sound. The other pickups in that guitar are a Dimarzio HS-1 (Yngwie pickup intended for bridge position), a Dimarzio Paul Gilbert Injector (intended for bridge position), and the JB Jr. which I think was intended for the neck position (I can't seem to locate my old receipts for verification).

I ended up trying several configurations and finally landed on the HS-1 in the neck position, the Injector in the middle position (I thought it as pretty "meh" in every position, but it does the least harm in the middle), and the JB Jr. in the bridge. To me it's not very much like a standard Strat sound, but is close enough at times. I have another nicer Strat that does a better job of that.
    <sig out of order>

Yesterday I borrowed my buddy's Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 class D bass amp. Nice little amp and if I had to pick right now I'd have to say I prefer the Shuttle to my Ampeg B2-RE. I still need to test this theory, but I think I could take the line out of this amp and immediately have a much better recorded sound than I seem to be able to get with the Ampeg or my Sansamp. I'm not sure why this is, but with the Ampeg or the Sansamp I don't seem to be able to easily dial back certain frequencies in the low mids that contribute to muddiness. The Shuttle comes across as much clearer sounding even with the Bass control cranked up and even with the Bass Boost button pushed in.

I want to go back now, knowing how the Benz sounds, and try to approximate that sound with the Ampeg. Maybe there is a way to EQ out the mud sufficiently which I simply have not stumbled upon yet.
    <sig out of order>

I can't comment on the SD Little 59, I've never heard it. SD pickups are good, though probably not the best out there. Generally, I'm never satisfied with the sound of a split humbucker in the notch positions, even when paired with a single in the middle position. To me, they just don't have the "sparkle" of a real single coil neck or bridge pickup. Whether the Little 59 does a better job of that, I'm not sure, and like you I'm not sure whether it would capture the sound of a real dual coil humbucker.

I'd also be dubious of routing the guitar. It seems to me that the odds of getting a configuration you like is 50/50 at best, and then if you sell the guitar you've likely decreased the resale value. There have to be a zillion Strat-like models out there with built in bridge and neck humbuckers. Were I you, I'd sell the Strat and look at something like that, hopefully one you could try out to see if the humbuckers sound good by themselves, and if the notch positions work the way you like. That's just my opinion, though. It's your guitar, and your money, so if you're willing to take the risk, go for it.

Bill

So I got my MTD bass on Thursday. I didn't have it long enough to take it to a little gig we had on Friday, but I played the hell out of it this weekend. In all I'm happy with aspects of it, and still on the fence about others.

I'm happy to have the fret markers, and I definitely noticed spots where my intonation was better with this bass. The sound of the bass is very bright, so I used the preamp to boost the low and mid frequencies and left the treble at detente. This sounds great on the bridge pickup, which is the one I use primarily (with just a hint of the neck mixed in). There is a far larger tonal range to work with on this bass than my other fretless, and I can soften the brightness further with patches on the multi-effects unit, or I can dial in a bit more of the neck pickup if I want a more traditional (as opposed to a "Jaco-like") sound. In all, I'm thrilled with the sound, but we'll see how it sounds with the band. It's also a really beautiful bass, probably the prettiest I've ever owned, and despite being used, doesn't seem to have a scratch on it.

I'm not as thrilled about the weight. The MTD website said the 4-string models of this bass would be 7.5-8 pounds. Mine is about 9.5 pounds. Not as heavy as the Toby, but way heavier than I'd wanted. The other thing I spent a lot of time with was setting the action, and it's still not exactly where I want it. Admittedly, I like ridiculously low action, but I've largely been able to get that with any bass I've owned. I'm having trouble getting this one to be as low as I like. At first I had to tighten the truss and raise the bridge, but now in increments I've needed to loosen the truss and lower the bridge because it was buzzing on the lower frets. I've got it pretty close, and the intonation is perfect, but it's not exactly where I want it action-wise. It may take longer to get it set perfectly, of I may need professional help to optimize that last step. Despite the action being a bit high, I can still play everything pretty easily, so maybe I'm just being super picky.

So, that's were I'm at with it. For what I paid, I'm not crying if it doesn't work out. I now know for sure I want a 4-string fret-lined fretless, and I want something with a brighter tone, like this one. Hopefully this one proves itself over time, if not, I can flip it pretty easily.

Bill

So I got my MTD bass on Thursday. I didn't have it long enough to take it to a little gig we had on Friday, but I played the hell out of it this weekend. In all I'm happy with aspects of it, and still on the fence about others.

I'm happy to have the fret markers, and I definitely noticed spots where my intonation was better with this bass. The sound of the bass is very bright, so I used the preamp to boost the low and mid frequencies and left the treble at detente. This sounds great on the bridge pickup, which is the one I use primarily (with just a hint of the neck mixed in). There is a far larger tonal range to work with on this bass than my other fretless, and I can soften the brightness further with patches on the multi-effects unit, or I can dial in a bit more of the neck pickup if I want a more traditional (as opposed to a "Jaco-like") sound. In all, I'm thrilled with the sound, but we'll see how it sounds with the band. It's also a really beautiful bass, probably the prettiest I've ever owned, and despite being used, doesn't seem to have a scratch on it.

I'm not as thrilled about the weight. The MTD website said the 4-string models of this bass would be 7.5-8 pounds. Mine is about 9.5 pounds. Not as heavy as the Toby, but way heavier than I'd wanted. The other thing I spent a lot of time with was setting the action, and it's still not exactly where I want it. Admittedly, I like ridiculously low action, but I've largely been able to get that with any bass I've owned. I'm having trouble getting this one to be as low as I like. At first I had to tighten the truss and raise the bridge, but now in increments I've needed to loosen the truss and lower the bridge because it was buzzing on the lower frets. I've got it pretty close, and the intonation is perfect, but it's not exactly where I want it action-wise. It may take longer to get it set perfectly, of I may need professional help to optimize that last step. Despite the action being a bit high, I can still play everything pretty easily, so maybe I'm just being super picky.

So, that's were I'm at with it. For what I paid, I'm not crying if it doesn't work out. I now know for sure I want a 4-string fret-lined fretless, and I want something with a brighter tone, like this one. Hopefully this one proves itself over time, if not, I can flip it pretty easily.

Bill
    Thanks for the review, Bill. Sounds like a lot of great aspects. I am surprised it weighs so much.
    I hope it ends up being a "keeper."

That bass sounds cool, Bill. I'm getting more sensitive to the weight of my basses due to back issues that started 20 years ago and haven't improved as I age. Maybe it will be okay as long as you switch basses around between songs?
    <sig out of order>

That bass sounds cool, Bill. I'm getting more sensitive to the weight of my basses due to back issues that started 20 years ago and haven't improved as I age. Maybe it will be okay as long as you switch basses around between songs?
    Historically, I always played primarily fretted bass and only used the fretless for a few songs. So having a heavy fretless was no big deal, in fact I never much noticed it. In one of the bands I'm playing in, I use almost exclusively fretless and recently switched to using the Toby. That's when I really noticed the weight issue. Additionally, in that band, I was trying to phase out using the fretted bass for simplicity sake, less gear to lug around, less setup time, etc. So in some cases, switching is possible, but in others not, or at least I was trying to avoid it.

I did lower the strap a bit, and I have a very wide 4" strap, which also helps. I'm just going to have to see how it goes. I did a little one hour gig last Friday with the Toby, and it was fine. I'm sure this bass would be fine for an hour or so as well. Where I was noticing it was after a ~2 hour rehearsal. I would take it off and my back was just seized up... but I didn't notice because I was concentrating on the music. Never had this problem with my Tobias Growler. Interestingly I also don't have the problem with my 51 P bass, which must not be all that heavy even though it's a slab ash body (I'll weight it at some point).

Like you, I'm also getting more sensitive to this kind of thing. I'm in pretty good shape and go the gym three times a week. But holding a weight for that long is taxing. You'd think bass makers would be more sensitive to this kind of thing, and I even thought I'd found a bass that was "weight conscious." I'll just have to see how it goes as I use it more.

Bill

Historically, I always played primarily fretted bass and only used the fretless for a few songs. So having a heavy fretless was no big deal, in fact I never much noticed it. In one of the bands I'm playing in, I use almost exclusively fretless and recently switched to using the Toby. That's when I really noticed the weight issue. Additionally, in that band, I was trying to phase out using the fretted bass for simplicity sake, less gear to lug around, less setup time, etc. So in some cases, switching is possible, but in others not, or at least I was trying to avoid it.

I did lower the strap a bit, and I have a very wide 4" strap, which also helps. I'm just going to have to see how it goes. I did a little one hour gig last Friday with the Toby, and it was fine. I'm sure this bass would be fine for an hour or so as well. Where I was noticing it was after a ~2 hour rehearsal. I would take it off and my back was just seized up... but I didn't notice because I was concentrating on the music. Never had this problem with my Tobias Growler. Interestingly I also don't have the problem with my 51 P bass, which must not be all that heavy even though it's a slab ash body (I'll weight it at some point).

Like you, I'm also getting more sensitive to this kind of thing. I'm in pretty good shape and go the gym three times a week. But holding a weight for that long is taxing. You'd think bass makers would be more sensitive to this kind of thing, and I even thought I'd found a bass that was "weight conscious." I'll just have to see how it goes as I use it more.

Bill

I had a feeling you had more than one band situation. I have noticed wide straps help reduce the shoulder discomfort with heavier basses. I've been going to the gym at least 3 days a week as well and have drastically improved the strength of my core, but until recently I couldn't exercise my lower back without aggravating the situation. Now, in the last month or so I'm beginning to gain some lower back strength. I just have to be careful not to push it too much.

I've considered getting one of those walk-up stands to put my bass on. Seems kind of limiting though.
    <sig out of order>

I had a feeling you had more than one band situation.
    I'm in three bands. A bit insane but none are super full-time. Eccentric Orbit is my Prog band (www.eoband.com). We've been inactive for a while and are trying to scope out our next move. I'm in a band called D-Tuned (http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/detunedmusic1) where I just play bass. This is the one I'm trying to move to only fretless. And then I'm in a band called Brave Pursuit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgdG1-9-VGc) where I'm playing bass and singing lead vocals. This is the band I use the 51 P.

I have noticed wide straps help reduce the shoulder discomfort with heavier basses. I've been going to the gym at least 3 days a week as well and have drastically improved the strength of my core, but until recently I couldn't exercise my lower back without aggravating the situation. Now, in the last month or so I'm beginning to gain some lower back strength. I just have to be careful not to push it too much.
    Yes wide straps help a lot! And good for you on the gym! It takes a while to build up strength, particularly in the core which is hard to isolate. But there's just no substitute. I also suggest using a foam roller, which feels great on your back. I did that a couple of times when I got home from those log rehearsals and my back was seized up, it helped a lot!

I've considered getting one of those walk-up stands to put my bass on. Seems kind of limiting though.
    I'd never get used to that. If if got that bad, I'd just get a stool and sit. If Fripp can get away with it, so can I dammit!

Bill

I can't comment on the SD Little 59, I've never heard it. SD pickups are good, though probably not the best out there. Generally, I'm never satisfied with the sound of a split humbucker in the notch positions, even when paired with a single in the middle position. To me, they just don't have the "sparkle" of a real single coil neck or bridge pickup. Whether the Little 59 does a better job of that, I'm not sure, and like you I'm not sure whether it would capture the sound of a real dual coil humbucker.

I'd also be dubious of routing the guitar. It seems to me that the odds of getting a configuration you like is 50/50 at best, and then if you sell the guitar you've likely decreased the resale value. There have to be a zillion Strat-like models out there with built in bridge and neck humbuckers. Were I you, I'd sell the Strat and look at something like that, hopefully one you could try out to see if the humbuckers sound good by themselves, and if the notch positions work the way you like. That's just my opinion, though. It's your guitar, and your money, so if you're willing to take the risk, go for it.

Bill
    Thanks for the advice in both posts, Bill. To be honest, routing the guitar doesn't bother me in the slightest; the body's home-made (not by me, I hasten to add - I have precisely ZERO woodworking skills!), so resale value really isn't an issue. I've also had the guitar for 16 years, and it was my main gigging guitar for about 5, so I have absolutely no plans to sell it. (I also have an Ibanez J-Custom in HSH configuration, so that's not an issue, either.) However, what I AM keen to do is to reconfigure the Strat in a manner that will make me want to USE it again. Even before I came out to China, the Strat had very much become the runt in the litter, thanks to my growing dislike of the HSS configuration, and my frustration with the weediness of the single-coils fitted to the guitar (especially in comparison to the Invader in the bridge), and it's spent a number of years sitting in its case as a consequence. I'm therefore ruminating on ways of bringing it back to life, and the conversion to HSH is at the moment quite appealing, hence my wondering about the single-coil size humbuckers over the full fat versions. Pickup issues notwithstanding, it's a great guitar that I'd like to start playing it again, and I'm also an inveterate tinkerer - as my much-butchered Ibanez Roadstar will testify!

Thanks for the advice in both posts, Bill. To be honest, routing the guitar doesn't bother me in the slightest; the body's home-made (not by me, I hasten to add - I have precisely ZERO woodworking skills!), so resale value really isn't an issue. I've also had the guitar for 16 years, and it was my main gigging guitar for about 5, so I have absolutely no plans to sell it. (I also have an Ibanez J-Custom in HSH configuration, so that's not an issue, either.) However, what I AM keen to do is to reconfigure the Strat in a manner that will make me want to USE it again. Even before I came out to China, the Strat had very much become the runt in the litter, thanks to my growing dislike of the HSS configuration, and my frustration with the weediness of the single-coils fitted to the guitar (especially in comparison to the Invader in the bridge), and it's spent a number of years sitting in its case as a consequence. I'm therefore ruminating on ways of bringing it back to life, and the conversion to HSH is at the moment quite appealing, hence my wondering about the single-coil size humbuckers over the full fat versions. Pickup issues notwithstanding, it's a great guitar that I'd like to start playing it again, and I'm also an inveterate tinkerer - as my much-butchered Ibanez Roadstar will testify!
    OK, that makes a lot more sense in terms of routing, so that isn't an issue.

I definitely think your sense is right that the Invader is not a good pairing with single coils, so replacing that seems like a good idea. I'm not personally sold on the JB in the bridge. This is also pretty high output, and with a DCR of 16.6K, I think it's going to overpower the 59 at a more modest and traditional 7.6K, just like the Invader would. If you're set on the 59 in the neck, which isn't a bad choice, then something like the Pearly Gates in the bridge might be a better match. Alternatively, at 11.7K, the Little 59 in the neck is perhaps a better match with the JB in the bridge. You'd then have to identify a middle position single coil that would keep up, a Quarter Pounder perhaps? For my tastes, that's a lot of really hi-gain, but that may suit you.

It's just hard to know how all these would sound together, and whether your notch positions would have that "Strat quack." At some point, you'd just have to try it and see. It sounds like you're not too worried about losing the single coil in the neck sound. I would be, as that's one of my favorite sounds from a Strat. I'd be more likely to try the 59 in the bridge and then try to pair some better single coils with that. But I like more of an "old-school," low-output sound, and like the sound of single coils. But what you're thinking about may work well for you, it's just hard to know until you try. I would, however, try to match a bit more closely the output of the pickups. I think even just replacing the Invader with the 59 would make the guitar sound more "even," and might be a good first step.

It will be fun to hear what you wind up doing.

Bill