Thread: Lee Michaels

Lee Michaels

So we were sitting around after ROSfest on Sunday night discussing music and the subject of Lee Michaels came up . I had never heard of him, but my friend was calling him one of the best Hammond players alive. He even had a hit song with “Do You Know What I Mean”. To make a long story short we pulled up one of his albums on YouTube and it blew me away. I have since ordered a CD collection from him, and am really digging it. Any other fans?

Suspended
    I've only heard "Do You Know What I Mean" and one other, and thought both were OK but fairly forgettable. I only know of one album: "Barrel". Wasn't he more of a session musician?
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 05-08-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Did he do anything besides DYKWIM? I've never heard of anything else. I figured he was a one hit wonder.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Did he do anything besides DYKWIM? I've never heard of anything else. I figured he was a one hit wonder.
    There was another song called "Hi-de-hi" or something like that.

A friend of mine saw him at the old Boston Tea Party in 1969. It was just Lee on B3 and his mountain of a drummer, Frosty. He said it was the loudest show he'd ever been to. His ears were ringing for days. He said he didn't remember much of the music other than it was too loud.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    There was another song called "Hi-de-hi" or something like that.
    "Heighty Hi" was his original signature tune, but wasn't much of a chart hit--it made it all the way to a whopping #106. When "Do You Know What I Mean" was a hit it was kind of puzzling, because all I knew about Michaels was that he played heavy Hammond organ with just Frosty the drummer for accompaniment. Then DYKWIM came out and sounded nothing like that. His self-titled third album, which included "Heighty Hi," also contains a very bitchen version of "Stormy Monday" where he really gives the Hammond a workout.
    Last edited by Mister Triscuits; 05-08-2015 at 12:20 PM.

I dig the first few LPs, particularly Carnival of Life. I caught him in '71 (with Frosty) on a bill with Humble Pie (who were recording Rockin' the Fillmore)....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

My favorite songs of his is Murder in My Heart for the Judge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CruL5h-MiY4

Here's a track from Lee's first album Carnival of Life, which I believe is his finest hour. This was about as good as it gets from 1968. Unfortunately he regressed steadily thereafter. 1st 2 LPs worth getting!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wktAT5PA4Ks

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Lee's first album Carnival of Life
    Damn, I always thought the self-titled one was his debut. I have corrected my post above.

Suspended
    Well, I have to say neither of those two songs posted above made me too interested in further exploration of his catalogue.

I used to play his first three albums a lot back in high school. My band played "Hello" and I got to sing it. Even though his music is very basic, he had a really nice feel and a general stoned quality that fit the times. There is a live album (actually two) where he and Frosty play a long version of "Stormy Monday."
    Last edited by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof; 05-12-2015 at 09:31 AM.