Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tony Banks--A Chord Too Far

I'd be interested to know how much re-mixing went on, being familiar with most of the material it sounded the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    I'd be interested to know how much re-mixing went on, being familiar with most of the material it sounded the same to me.
    Being able to hear the piano in 'Moving Under', and just the general production of the tracks from 'Soundtracks' (which was pretty piss-poor prior. Aagh, don't repeat that little sentence too many times in a row!) made a nice difference to me. 'The Border' and 'The More I Hide It' included sounds previously buried in the mix before as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Being able to hear the piano in 'Moving Under', and just the general production of the tracks from 'Soundtracks' (which was pretty piss-poor prior. Aagh, don't repeat that little sentence too many times in a row!) made a nice difference to me. 'The Border' and 'The More I Hide It' included sounds previously buried in the mix before as well.
    Guess I'll have to give those songs a repeated listen, eh? Nothing jumped out at me to say "this is different" the first time around.

"The Border" has some subtle percussion stuff in the first verse that was almost nonexistent on the original mix. There are a few synth glissandos that were buried pretty low that have been brought out (1:56, for example). Also, there's guitar in the Soundtracks stuff! Who knew? "Queen of Darkness" has some whispery stuff going on that surprised me, too. I'll definitely be getting the remixed albums as they come out, even though I have all of Tony's solo stuff already.

Quote Originally Posted by soundchaser93 View Post
    "The Border" has some subtle percussion stuff in the first verse that was almost nonexistent on the original mix. There are a few synth glissandos that were buried pretty low that have been brought out (1:56, for example). Also, there's guitar in the Soundtracks stuff! Who knew? "Queen of Darkness" has some whispery stuff going on that surprised me, too. I'll definitely be getting the remixed albums as they come out, even though I have all of Tony's solo stuff already.
    Same here.

This box set has been a ton of fun listening to. Some of these songs I hadn't heard in years.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

have listened to it a few times since i got it a few weeks back and one thing is apparent to me at least - ACF is his best and most proggy solo album. mostly pop stuff since. but that's not to say there aren't some catchy tunes including (surprisingly) 3 off of Fugutive (Edge of Night, Wheels Keep Turning, Thirty Three's) which i originally despised when i first heard it 30 yrs ago. However, By You still sucks (WTF?).
    Favorites are Something to Live For, Never Let Me Know, A Piece of You, I'll be Waiting and even Big Man is pretty catchy.
    some general comments..
    Lion of Symmetry is OK but that lady's voice is a bit 'different' and the song in general bogs down in the middle.
    Can't listen to the guy on You Call this Victory.
    Island in the Darkness is too slow and too long with too many instrumental fills. not enough variety for a 17-min song to keep me interested.
    TB"s voice is adequate but not great.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Just wanted to give another shout out to this great collection. And this is coming from someone who already owned all of Tony's solo discs. I picked up the box set just to get the classical demos but I am loving the whole thing. The remixed tracks sound great to my ears, and now I can't wait to have proper remixes of each of album. The demos are superb, and I only wish Tony would release the demos of both six and seven in their entirety. Even as downloads, I would love that!

(Sorry, accidentally posted this earlier in the wrong TB thread!)

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Just wanted to give another shout out to this great collection. And this is coming from someone who already owned all of Tony's solo discs. I picked up the box set just to get the classical demos but I am loving the whole thing. The remixed tracks sound great to my ears, and now I can't wait to have proper remixes of each of album. The demos are superb, and I only wish Tony would release the demos of both six and seven in their entirety. Even as downloads, I would love that!

(Sorry, accidentally posted this earlier in the wrong TB thread!)
    Yeah I love this album, and those demos are probably my favorite tracks of the entire set. I wish he'd do an entire album of keyboard instrumental music, it's so.... perfect. And the instrumental stuff in "Island In The Darkness" is awesome too.

"The fugitive" is apparently for release in late February, both remixed and in 5.1. I'll be getting it (even if I already have it on vinyl since its release).

Sweet! No mention on TB's webpage though?

link here:
    http://esotericrecordings.com/

a repress of "A curious feeling" is also done, for the ones who missed out last time. :-)

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    link here:

a repress of "A curious feeling" is also done, for the ones who missed out last time. :-)
    I'm not normally bothered with remixes or remasters, but A Curious Feeling is one case where I think the newer edition is far better production-wise than the original, and worth buying even if you already have the original.

link here:

Thanks!! Looking forward to this!

Now maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think the first pressing of the ACF remix included a hi Rez stereo version? Just 5.1 and a CD. Bummer! As much as I'd like a hi Rez stereo version I don't think I will buy it again.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sorry, I'm sure this is mentioned somewhere in this thread, but has the material on this album as been remastered (aside from the previously unreleased tracks, I guess?). The Esoteric site mentions much of it has been remixed, but I don't know if it's all remastered. Not that its essential - I probably wouldn't even notice, but y'know - I'm SUPPOSED to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sorry, I'm sure this is mentioned somewhere in this thread, but has the material on this album as been remastered (aside from the previously unreleased tracks, I guess?). The Esoteric site mentions much of it has been remixed, but I don't know if it's all remastered. Not that its essential - I probably wouldn't even notice, but y'know - I'm SUPPOSED to notice.
    Not all of the tracks are new mixes, but quite a few significant ones are. For instance, The Border sounds markedly different from the version that was on the original Bankstatement. Nearly all of the songs from Soundtracks were remixed as well, and Lion Of Symmetry sounds infinitely better now that you can actually hear what's going on.

Are they all remastered? Or are the ones that are remixed, by definition also remastered?

Suspended
    Excuse my ignorance, my meagre knowledge about remixing and remastering comes mostly from reading posts on PE...

but, if something is remixed, doesn't that make it meaningless to speak of remastering? It's a whole new mix, therefore surely it needs to get mastered like the original mix did?

See the post above yours.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, my meagre knowledge about remixing and remastering comes mostly from reading posts on PE...

but, if something is remixed, doesn't that make it meaningless to speak of remastering? It's a whole new mix, therefore surely it needs to get mastered like the original mix did?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    See the post above yours.
    I did, and that's what prompted my post. I was expanding on your query.

Technically remixing and remastering are not the same, since they wouldn't be going back to the original master tapes. They would be starting with all new mixes (from the multi-track recordings) and then producing a new master from that. At least, that's how I understand it.

If one is making a new mix of an old recording, a new master would be an inherent part of the process.

If I'm wrong, anyone please feel free to correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I did, and that's what prompted my post. I was expanding on your query.
    Thanks for having my back!

"The fugitive" is apparently for release in late February, both remixed and in 5.1. I'll be getting it (even if I already have it on vinyl since its release).
    I like the Fugitive---and think if he had Hackett on doing the guitar parts it could have been an important album. All the guitar parts are strictly Hackett inspired and could have sounded way more moving if Steve had played on the album.

Remixing necessitates remastering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything solo by Tony Banks is a chord too far!