Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tony Banks--A Chord Too Far

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    The catalogue will all be done separately and as far as Im aware that will be every title. Tony has chosen the tracks and cover personally and was interviewed this week for Cherry Red TV (Mark tells me its excellent)
    Glad to hear that this is all coming together very well. This is an autobuy for me, as are the reissues. I am a sucker for The Fugitive.

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

There's nothing interesting here, just a random selection of titles from his catalog albums.
    Not the remixed single version of For A While (Charisma CB 365), not the extended versions of This Is Love and Charm (Charisma ‎BANKS 12).
    Only 3 unnecessary demos from his classical projects, and just 1 'new' track don't justify a big 4-disc set.
    Let's see what the individual albums reissues can bring on the table in terms of additional material.
    As is now, count me out for this box set.

Years ago, talking with Tony, he mentioned that a 10-15 minute version of The Border was recorded. Would be a nice bonus on the Bankstatement remaster!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I love most of Banks' back catalogue (Bankstatement is the only one I'll be skipping tracks) and the cover and title are perfect for him, so I'll buy it even if I have most of it already. BUT it would be nice if they'd included the mentioned extended version of The Border, or the never released Back to You (written with Nik Kershaw and recorded with Jack Hues), but maybe those will show up with the album rereleases.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeLopez View Post
    I love most of Banks' back catalogue (Bankstatement is the only one I'll be skipping tracks) and the cover and title are perfect for him, so I'll buy it even if I have most of it already. BUT it would be nice if they'd included the mentioned extended version of The Border, or the never released Back to You (written with Nik Kershaw and recorded with Jack Hues), but maybe those will show up with the album rereleases.
    I thought the extra material from the original long version of 'The Border' ended up as part of 'Island In The Darkness'? I could be wrong though.

I have 'Back To You' and I, who like almost all of Banks' solo material, am not very impressed with that track. I should give it another play, but its fairly commercial and straightforward for a Banks track.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Looking forward to the reissue of The Wicked Lady...
    It has been out on cd for at least a year what are you waiting for?

http://www.genesis-news.com/media/news/cover250.jpg

www.grooves-inc.com
    Last edited by Rand Kelly; 05-16-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Tony has chosen the tracks and cover personally and was interviewed this week for Cherry Red TV (Mark tells me its excellent)
    When will this interview be available for viewing? I've really enjoyed some of the other Cherry Red TV interviews and I'm looking forward to this one very much!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I believe it will be in the next week or so, I think it is initially being shown in sections but will check.
    We do now have preorders up on the box set

http://shop.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=5095

I think a cool concept would have been to release all of the solo debuts from the Genesis guys in a box set...most current remasters with bonus stuff. If the Genesis camp had their shit together for A Sum Of The Parts, this would have been a marketable item for fans of the band, that wanted to go further into what each guy did on his own.

Ant-Geese
    Steve-Acolyte
    Peter-PG1
    Tony-ACF
    Mike-Smallcreep's Day
    Phil-Face Value

So no autographed incentive for pre-orders on this? I'd be curious to see how the sales of this compares to Anthony Phillips set that came out last year. --Peter

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Leibowitz View Post
    I think a cool concept would have been to release all of the solo debuts from the Genesis guys in a box set...most current remasters with bonus stuff. If the Genesis camp had their shit together for A Sum Of The Parts, this would have been a marketable item for fans of the band, that wanted to go further into what each guy did on his own.

Ant-Geese
    Steve-Acolyte
    Peter-PG1
    Tony-ACF
    Mike-Smallcreep's Day
    Phil-Face Value
    Hmmm. I think I would see it as just a money-grabbing exercise. I don't have any data to back it up, but my feeling is that a large percentage of the fans would be fans of some of the guys, much more than others. Some of those albums are so different from others that it would be really only for completists - who probably already have them all. Ah but I was forgetting - there would be the "bonus tracks", to hook you in.

If I give the impression I'm a bit cynical about reissues and box sets and collectors' editions, that's because I am. Is the original hard to obtain? Or did the production quality leave room for improvement? Fine, by all means bring on a remastered reissue - but don't make it part of a box set that gives me no other way to purchase it. Just reissue the thing, with or without extra tracks. That's my opinion anyway.

Would have loved an excuse to buy this box set. I already have all of the albums and for just one fully fleshed out unreleased song, I can't justify it. It's on record that he has tons of stuff already written, 4 disks of the back catalog and a completely unreleased new disk would have been perfect.

If he's planning on re-releasing all of his albums shortly, I might just wait for those instead.

Has anyone picked this up yet, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Has anyone picked this up yet, and if so, what are your thoughts?
    I have. The unreleased material is fantastic I think. 'Spring Tide' on just piano and synths is just sublime, probably my favorite track on the whole album. 'Poppet' is really cool, I love his instrumental work like this.

Most of the material from the first 5 albums is remastered, and there is notable improvement on 'Moving Under' (hearing the keyboards better makes a definite difference), 'Redwing', 'Lion of Symmetry', 'The Border', and 'The More I Hide It'. I haven't yet delved into disc 3, but I've played disc 4 twice, and 1 and 2, once each. I'm very happy with it overall. Nice packaging too.

Thanks Bill. I've pre-ordered it from Amazon, and the prospect of hearing remastered versions of some of my favorite Tony Banks songs is more than enough reason to fork over my hard-earned cash.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Thanks Bill. I've pre-ordered it from Amazon, and the prospect of hearing remastered versions of some of my favorite Tony Banks songs is more than enough reason to fork over my hard-earned cash.

just received this in USA really enjoying it. I only had the albums on vinyl and one of the orchestral works so a decent value for me (though I will likely pick up the reissues as they come too).

one thing I will say is that it really did a good job of highlighting some tracks from the fugitive that I never really paid much attention too. the opening of a edit of rebirth into at the edge of the night is great and works quite seamlessly. the mixed up tracklisting works quite well and will make it hopefully still a good listen even when I have the complete albums on cd for a different experience.

my only minor quibble is disc 1 and 3 are sub 70 minutes and I really would have liked to see Charm included... or even the extended this is love would have filled it a bit snugger.

So what did he release for R-Kive then and did anything duplicate that and ACTF?

Unlike most, I really like BANKSTATEMENT.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I don't - and that's not for lack of trying. I recall when It first appeared in the stores, thinking "Wow, another Tony Banks album!" and having a listen. First track: ho hum. Second track: hmm, it's OK... when are the killer songs going to appear? And, for me, they didn't. It was a major disappointment.

I listened to the whole album again on Spotify a few months ago, just to see if my views had changed. Nope. There is one track towards the end that I like quite a lot - think it's "Diamonds Aren't So Hard".

This was when he was consciously trying to emulate the modus operandi of Mike + the Mechanics. I saw a quote somewhere - it may have been from Tony himself - that he sometimes tries too hard in his solo work NOT to sound like Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Me too, it's my favorite next to A Curious Feeling.

I really like Soundtracks

I don't think Bankstatement is Banks's finest hour, but I still like many of the songs. "The Border" is an obvious one, as is the aforementioned "Diamonds Aren't So Hard" (funnily enough, originally a bonus track on CD only). Banks tries a bit too hard ("Throwback") and Alistair Gordon isn't really the best vocalist for some of this material, Jayne Klimek does better. I'd say he succeeded much better on Still, even though he had five different vocalists instead of three and still presented it as a solo album. The group thing worked for Rutherford, but probably only confused here. I do remember that I initially listed the CD as Statement by Tony Banks.

Re the other Tony Banks thread: Amores Pasados is really great album, and Banks's two tracks are nice pieces that fit in well with the overall style of the work. Potter's comments about songs being just songs, before the current seggregration of "art songs" and "pop songs", are nice too, IMO, in lieu of the current conversation about who or what makes music "classical" or "rock". The album is worth checking out, and not just because Tone the Bone contributed.