Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deep Purple, Yes & ELO top 'Rolling Stone' readers poll for R&R HOF induction!

Deep Purple, Yes & ELO top 'Rolling Stone' readers poll for R&R HOF induction!

Rolling Stone readers’ top 10 revealed for 2016 induction
    Deep Purple have topped a Rolling Stone magazine readers’ poll of the top 10 acts that should be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 2016.

Almost 50 years since they formed in Hertford, readers named Deep Purple as the act they most want to see honoured by the Cleveland-based institution with close ties to the magazine. Publisher Jan Wenner serves as the chairman of the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Foundation, which oversees all elements of the organisation.

Rolling Stone says: “You can't blame the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame nominating committee for not bringing Deep Purple in. They've put them on the ballot several times over the past few years. It probably has something to do with the fact that the vast, vast majority of voters are American. If the people of Europe had the chance to vote, Deep Purple would have been in years ago.”

Electric Light Orchestra land at No. 2 on the list, with Rolling Stone suggesting “maybe ELO were a little poppy and eclectic for the tastemakers of their day, but we have a feeling they'll make it into the Hall Of Fame in the next few years.”

In at No. 3 are prog-rock kings Yes. While admitting “there aren't a lot of prog-rock bands in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,” Rolling Stone adds: “Yes, at least in the 1970s, were like pure-grade prog heroin. They were cut with nothing. Yes deserve to get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for their 1970 to 1974 work alone.”

The Top 10 is rounded out with reader support for Cheap Trick, Chicago, singer/songwriter Warren Zevon, Little Feat, metal veterans Iron Maiden, The Moody Blues and The Smiths.

To be eligible for a Rock Hall nomination, an individual artist or band must have released its first single or album at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination.

Last month, the Rock Hall’s 30th annual induction ceremony honoured new additions Green Day, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Lou Reed, Ringo Starr, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Bill Withers, and the “5” Royales.

ROLLING STONE READERS' TOP 10
    1.Deep Purple

2.Electric Light Orchestra

3.Yes

4.Cheap Trick

5.Chicago

6.Warren Zevon

7.Little Feat

8.Iron Maiden

9.The Moody Blues

10.The Smiths

R and R Hall of Shame doesn't really recognize prog as you know---but that list has lot's of groups I could see Rolling Stone readers would vote in before YES. But agree no one can beat Yes in the 70's---don't think the 80's or 90's output would put them in the Fame category.

Pretty good list IMO. I could support all of them getting in.

Jon Neudorf
    Every one on that list deserves to be in, IMO.

Regards,
    Jon

Suspended
    No one has ever explained to me exactly what being in the Hall of Fame means, apart from the fact that your name is on some list. Someone is either famous or they are not, and you don't suddenly become famous by being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Think like anything like this--it's a way for some people to make money.^

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    No one has ever explained to me exactly what being in the Hall of Fame means, apart from the fact that your name is on some list. Someone is either famous or they are not, and you don't suddenly become famous by being inducted into the Hall of Fame.
    Off the top of my head I'm guessing it can translate into increased ticket sales and publicity. When a PR agent can slap "Member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" on something I'm sure it gets more attention than without it. How much depends on the band/musician, of course, and the timing. For Rush, for example, it coincided nicely with the Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary. One also has to wonder if Genesis would have had a retrospective documentary made as easily without their recent induction.

This may just be speculation on my part, but I think to say there is no tangible upside is silly.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

if Joan Jett can get in famous for 2 songs she didn't even write, rap artists, pop song divas & the Queen of disco- the Hall of fame is pretty much more like the Pop Music Hall Of Fame now. once again R&R is swept under the carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    if Joan Jett can get in famous for 2 songs she didn't even write, rap artists, pop song divas & the Queen of disco- the Hall of fame is pretty much more like the Pop Music Hall Of Fame now. once again R&R is swept under the carpet.
    I just saw Joan Jett live a little over a month ago and she was great. Whether or not she is Hall Of Fame worthy is certainly debatable, but she did have a lot of influence on female rockers that came after her.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    This may just be speculation on my part, but I think to say there is no tangible upside is silly.
    Of course there can be tangible benefits to the artist. What I meant was, the name "Hall of Fame" itself is silly. Moreover the criteria are obscure. If Joan jett gets in and Yes miss out, then I for one don't understand what message, if any, the organisers are trying to convey.

With something like the Eurovision Song contest, tacky as it might be, it's pretty clear what it means to have won the Eurovision Song Contest. It means your song got the most votes from people qualified to vote.

With something like the Eurovision Song contest, tacky as it might be, it's pretty clear what it means to have won the Eurovision Song Contest. It means your song got the most votes from people qualified to vote.
    Ah, there is the rub -- who gets to vote? "People qualified to vote" obviously means a lot, and it's interesting that in recent years the R&RHOF has added inductees based on *popular* voting, not just on the whims of Jan Wenner and his cadre of schmoes. Otherwise I'm not sure KISS would have ever gotten in, or maybe even Rush for that matter.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ELO have a bit more buzz, at least in the UK...Jeff Lynne had three CDs of his music in the UK Top 10 a while back, and did a big comeback gig.
    Their appearance at the Grammy's made a splash as well (remember the footage of Sir Paul grooving in his seat?). They seem to fit in nicely with the 70s-cultural-reboot that's been in vogue for a while now, so I can definitely see them getting in soon.

The glaring omission from this list (IMO) is Todd Rundgren. I don't believe he's ever even been nominated.

My top 10 would be

Deep Purple
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Uriah Heep
    Iron Maiden
    Kate Bush
    The Moody Blues
    The Smiths
    Procol Harum
    Hawkwind
    Kate Bush
    Cardiacs ...

I am blown away by the list I see here and others mentioned. The Hall of Fame's induction system is flawed beyond value.

I alomst have come to expect the typical Prog Snub but Deep Purple ? Those guys were "Monsters" of Rock and always will be.
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

I did read that once the inductees are announced each year, they have an increase in sales of CDs and downloads. So there is some financial benefit to the winners.

I'm with you. Who cares? It's meaningless IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Chicago are an interesting case. Their best work is perceived to have been their first two albums, but that brass-rock style fell out of favour and hasn't really had much lasting influence as far as I can see
    Chicago not getting in is a total disgrace, IMO. They're one of the most successful American bands ever, and toured constantly for 40 years. They have some credibility in their career, and they have the proverbial 80s success that seems to be necessary for many.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I've never gotten the love for Deep Purple. I'd like to see these artists get in:

Yes
    Big Star
    The Smiths
    Iron Maiden
    Joy Division/New Order
    Depeche Mode
    Pixies
    The Cure
    Ronnie James Dio
    Journey
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I've never gotten the love for Deep Purple.
    I get the love, even if I don't totally share it.

But IMO they deserve to get in on the same grounds that Velvet Underground got in -- they influenced a bazillion musicians and bands. Plus they actually sold a lot of records over a very lengthy career. Something the VU never did. But clearly to the HOF tastemakers one of these things is NOT like the other.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I get the love, even if I don't totally share it.

But IMO they deserve to get in on the same grounds that Velvet Underground got in -- they influenced a bazillion musicians and bands. Plus they actually sold a lot of records over a very lengthy career. Something the VU never did. But clearly to the HOF tastemakers one of these things is NOT like the other.
    To my way of thinking Led Zeppelin are the "It" band for that style of hard rock and Deep Purple are much less talented also rans.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Chicago not getting in is a total disgrace, IMO. They're one of the most successful American bands ever, and toured constantly for 40 years. They have some credibility in their career, and they have the proverbial 80s success that seems to be necessary for many.
    Which is kinda the problem in their case. Chicago's trajectory has basically been: great innovative band/cheesy chart band/oldies band, and I think that hurts them overall. Granted you can say the same about Heart, but I think they got in on the "trailblazers for women in rock" card.

I think ELP and Jethro Tull should be in the top ten.

To my way of thinking Led Zeppelin are the "It" band for that style of hard rock and Deep Purple are much less talented also rans.
    I'd agree that LZ were better at that kind of hard rock, though there's no disputing DP's stamp on a whole generation of English musicians and bands. If anything the whole NWOBHM scene owed more to DP, Rainbow, etc. than Zep (well, and Black Sabbath also).

To my ears they are totally different bands. Zep is a no brainer, but Purple was also a hug influence and did some really fantastic albums, and are at the top of my list of those who deserve to get in, but are not. If it ever happens the big question will be what lineup gets in. The same will be true for Yes if it ever happens.