Thread: May 16 - The Muffins + Romantic Warriors III - Orion Studios, Baltimore

May 16 - The Muffins + Romantic Warriors III - Orion Studios, Baltimore

Doors at 6:00
    Show at 7:00

movie + music madness night!

The Muffins will be performing AND there will be a showing of the brand new documentary Romantic Warriors III, which is about the Canterbury scene!

$20.00 at the door, said the doorman.

Orion Studios
    2903 Whittington Ave
    Suite C
    Baltimore, MD
    USA 21230

www.orionsound.com

Da Rulz:

All Ages Show -
    BYOB – Coolers Welcome
    SMALL folding chairs welcome (no yard yachts please!)
    $20 Cover – cash only at the door – no pre-show sales
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Really hoping I can make this one...Muffins are always a fantastic show
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Suspended
    Is this the band featuring Martha, or some other Muffins?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Martha will cost you an extra $10.00
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Being there, or squarish I shall be.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Thanks for posting Steve. Tickets also online:
    https://www.ticketpeak.com/RomanticWarriors
    Facebook Event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1585848411690186/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Martha will cost you an extra $10.00
    And that will also be cash.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

BYOB but muffins will be served.

Sounds like a night to remember. Too bad it's on the wrong coast.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    BYOB but muffins will be served.

Sounds like a night to remember. Too bad it's on the wrong coast.

to bad it's on the wrong side of the pond, really!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

These are "some other Muffins", namely a *quite* well-known Washington-area band active on and off since the mid-70s and responsible for some of the more critically acclaimed (and not only with "prog" folks) progressive rock music to come out of the US. Their Manna/Mirage album from 1978 is often regarded as a classic of its kind. Their influences were Zappa/Mothers, Soft Machine, Coltrane, some Magma and Henry Cow, and they were part of a rather small string of bands in their region championing progressive music even during the hard days of the late 70s and early 80s (Happy the Man, However, Grits).

And despite their status with many punters (and with a majority of progressive fans I met during the 90s), the Muffins were not a "symphonic rock" group and can not be read about in Prog Magazine as of just yet.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    These are "some other Muffins", namely a *quite* well-known Washington-area band active on and off since the mid-70s and responsible for some of the more critically acclaimed (and not only with "prog" folks) progressive rock music to come out of the US. Their Manna/Mirage album from 1978 is often regarded as a classic of its kind. Their influences were Zappa/Mothers, Soft Machine, Coltrane, some Magma and Henry Cow, and they were part of a rather small string of bands in their region championing progressive music even during the hard days of the late 70s and early 80s (Happy the Man, However, Grits).

And despite their status with many punters (and with a majority of progressive fans I met during the 90s), the Muffins were not a "symphonic rock" group and can not be read about in Prog Magazine as of just yet.
    Not "symphonic" is damn right... and better that way. Now I have a hankerin' for some Chainsaw Jazz! Get me some Paul Sears blazing drums in the AM!

That Chainsaw Jazz album is such a hoot! Like some Downtown-meets-Canter-RIO stew as an isolated case study. One of my fave of Steve's releases!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I am looking forward to this show tomorrow! Can anyone help with the explanation of the chair policy? I have only seen one show at Orion many years ago and I don't remember! I believe I stood for that show (Daevid Allen (RIP) and Mark Kramer). I don't want to bring the wrong chair(s)! Are they asking for only low-to-the ground chairs? The guy at Orion told me they didn't want chairs with arms, but that would seem like it would rule out just about every chair. Do people ever bring blankets or would you not be able to see anything? Do you think people would stand for the movie? What are your plans, prog people?!

Thanks for your input,

Prog Peter

I would say low to the ground, if you sit up front. A low chair would not work too well towards the back.
    There have been some folding chairs available as well as a couple of couches around the edges.
    Usually I bring a folding 'card table' chair. Some folks get pretty minimalist with their seating, it does not look comfortable to me.
    The emphasis is on enabling the most people to fit with good sightlines.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Love the Muffins..... Wish I could be there.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone