Thread: A Concert Marathon

A Concert Marathon

I ain't trying to brag or nothin' but starting tonight this month of May is going to probably be the most shows I've attended in such a short period of time

May 2 - Tempest
    May 4 - Wilco
    May 6 - The Kaiser Chiefs
    May 7 - Midwest Mayhem (local community radio party w/12 bands, already have tix) or The Who if I get a deal I can't refuse
    May 8 - Tim Berne's Snakeoil
    May 11 - Chui Wan (psychedelia from Bejing!!)
    May 14 - Rush
    May 19 - Jeff Beck

Luckily we have a shitload of 5 Hour Energy samples at work.

Anyone have any good shows coming up?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Rush in June, Kansas in October. Hopefully ProgDay in September. It's an Old Man tour for me.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post

May 8 - Tim Berne's Snakeoil
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

So far & more to be added.
    Rush - Kansas City July
    Brit Floyd - Omaha August

A quick recap -

Tempest last saturday - for those who like Celtic rock this band is top notch. The band is touring in support of a brand new release "The Tracks We Leave". I have seen this band a number of times and this show was special because they pretty much played the whole new record and a bunch of older obscure stuff - and with a new bass player it was a very energetic show.

Wilco last night - turned out to be sort of a good news/bad news event - the band was just fantastic but they were booked in a venue that uncomfortably holds 1000 people and ended up cramming about 1500 hipsters in the building which eventually became a drunken singalong. I don't want to deprive anyone of their enjoyment but i really do prefer having just a tiny bit of personal space in a more civilized environment. I've been to this venue many times for "sold-out" shows and have never experienced the density of people that we had last night.
    The payoff besides Wilco's great catalog of songs is watching drummer Glen Kotche and guitarist Nels Cline at work - it's kind of like when i feed my cats the catnip, it all starts out polite and friendly and then they start pouncing the shit out of everything around them.

I just found out today that the St Louis stop for The Who has been canceled thurs night so it's Mayhem for sure. Looking very forward to those Kaiser Chiefs tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post

Anyone have any good shows coming up?
    Yea, the summer concert scene is starting to kick into high gear. As usual everyone on tour at once. Right now I have tix for:

May 21: Gordon Lightfoot – Kalamazoo (re-scheduled show I am taking my dad to)
    June 4: Steven Wilson – Chicago
    June 7: Apocalyptica – Grand Rapids
    June 14: Rush – Detroit
    June 24: Gary Clarke Jr. – Grand Rapids
    July 13: Pat Benetar – Grand Rapids (wife wants to go to this one)
    August 4: Aerosmith – Grand Rapids
    Aug 7: Blue Oyster Cult – Kalamazoo (not totally sure I can attend this one yet, but want to)
    August 9: Umphrey’s McGee – Grand Rapids
    August 15: Yes / Toto – Detroit
    September 23: Symphony X – Grand Rapids

I will probably hit at least one night of the Kalamazoo Blues Festival as well, but don’t know who is playing yet.

Last night wrapped up my string of live shows in a short time period, i'll be happy to lay off the 5 Hour Energy for a while, i think that stuff is just repurposed cat urine and someone is having a good laugh at our expense.

The Kaiser Chiefs - I was highly anticipating this show since i am a fan of XTC and these guys sort of remind me of a more anarchistic version of that band. The show was very energetic, went by like the blink of an eye but i don't mind an 80 minute set of short kick-ass songs and these guys delivered. Opening band Priory was a worthwhile opener.

Tim Berne's Snakeoil - With Berne being an ECM artist this ain't your dad's brand of jazz, not everyone's taste but works perfect for me. Special mention to drummer/vibraphonist Ches Smith, i officially certify this guy as a Mother F'ker which made perfect sense after seeing this guys resume (Secret Chiefs 3, Moe! Staiano to name a couple). Wow what a fantastic show it was, enthusiastically recommended.

Chui Wan - Psychedelic rockers from Beijing China don't roll through these parts too often and there was no way i was missing this one. Hard to describe but basically all instrumental, lots of hypnotic grooves from a very solid rhythm section with layers of delayed guitars and electronics which suits me just fine. Very well crafted stuff that was a thrill to experience. Opening was the local band Tone Rodent which displayed some very Hawkwindesque grooves with more guitars and small amounts of electronics. Sadly the bass player announced it was his last show with the band and i'm guesssing their future might be in limbo.

Rush - What can i say that hasn't been said on the R40 thread? the band, the sound, stage show, setlist all fantastic. It was great to see all three guys genuinely seemed to be enjoying the shit out of what they do. If this is the last of the big time arena shows and they scale down or don't tour at all i can live with that.

Jeff Beck - After all this talk of Rush possibly hanging it up here you have Jeff "i'm going to be 71 in a couple of weeks" Beck out there playing better guitar than anyone should be allowed to play at half that age. The guy is just fucking unreal and keeps getting better!! Jeff's current band (Rhonda Smith - Bass, Jonathan Joseph - Drums, Nicolas Meier - Guitar) are the epitome of a well oiled machine, but for the big surprise (to me anyway) was singer Jimmy Hall from the band Wet Willie - holy crap could that guy belt out a song. What was awesome about this show is it was completely different from the last time, and with the addition of the vocals the songs had more rock and soul vibe and hardly any of the techno feel found on the last several studio albums. This was completely different from what i was expecting and was a very welcomed surprise (and yes, i am a fan of his later period stuff). Jeff ended the whole affair with a heartfelt tribute to BB King with The Thrill is Gone, the man is a class act all the way around.

Time to catch up on some sleep.

Regarding 5 Hour Energy. I just use Vivarin. Same amount of caffine if not more (200mg) and much much much cheaper.

Glad to hear Jimmy Hall still has his voice. Have not heard anything about him in a long time.

Really looking forward to Rush in a couple of weeks.

Steven Wilson -June 6th (Madison)

Esperanza Spalding - June 19th (Madison)

ProgDay - Sept 5th & 6th (Chapel Hill)

Dominican Music - Sept 23rd thru Sept 30th (Santo Domingo)
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

This week;
    Thursday- Brit Floyd, Baltimore, MD
    Friday - Brit Floyd, Atlantic City, NJ
    Saturday- Brit Floyd, Bethlehem, PA

May 23rd Prairie Home Companion ( live broadcast show ) Wolf Trap
    May 26th Steven Wilson 9:30 club DC
    June 1st David Torn Union Arts, DC
    June 14th Classic Albums Live Presents -The Beatles Abbey Road - Wolf Trap
    June 24th Tony MacAlpine - Jammin Java. Still on the fence one of the opening bands is Hephystus who opened for Morgbl at the '13 Progday preshow. Not too....I liked Morgbl.
    July 11th NSO Beethoven's 5th - Wolf Trap
    July 23rd Wait Wait.. Don't Tell Me - Wolf Trap should be silly
    July 25th Diana Krall - a little torch singing
    August 10 Aristocrats & Travis Larson - Jammin Java
    August 14th Lyle Lovett & His Large Band - Wolf Trap
    August 28th Kristin Chenoweth Wolf Trap
    September 5-6 Progday - Chapel Hill
    September 11th Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell

Hope there are some random, other shows I can get to too along with traveling around some.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I have the following lined up:

May 23 Pat Benatar @ Downtown Orlando, FL
    May 29 Betty Fox Band @ The Alley, Sanford FL
    June 5 Rico Monaco Band @ Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, Orlando, FL
    June 20 Blackfoot @ Jannus Live, St. Petersburg, FL
    June 26 Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy @ The Plaza Live, Orlando, FL
    Aug 23 Todd Rundgren @ The Plaza Live, Orlando, FL
    Aug 30 Rick Springfield, Loverboy, The Romantics @ St. Augustine Amphitheatre, St. Augustine, FL
    Oct 17 The Winery Dogs @ The Plaza Live, Orlando FL

I've already attended the following gigs this year:

Jan 02 Gilby Clarke, Nova Rex, Rockstarr Bentley, Three Killer Buds @ State Theatre, St Petersburg, FL
    Feb 7 Living Colour @ State Theatre, St Petersburg, FL
    Feb 22 Joanne Shaw Taylor, AJ Ghent Band @ Clearwater Blues Festival, Clearwater, FL
    Feb 26 Steve Augeri @ Hard Rock Hotel, Orlando, FL
    Feb 28 Pat Travers @ Renninger's, Mt Dora, FL
    Mar 27 Starship featuring Mickey Thomas @ Epcot Center, Orlando, FL
    Apr 12 Tab Benoit, Samantha Fish @ The Henegar Center for the Arts, Melbourne, FL
    Apr 25 Blackberry Smoke, The Temperance Movement @ House of Bues, Orlando, FL
    Apr 27 Sammy Hagar & The Circle, Rico Monaco Band @ Hard Rock Live, Orlando, FL
    May 7 Boston @ Hard Rock Live, Orlando, FL

As you can see, very little prog, but then this is Florida for you.

Ooh some busy schedules there! My gig diary is looking OK for the rest of the year,...

May 24th - Paul McCartney
    June 4th - Elvis Costello
    June 24th - Fleetwood Mac
    June 27th - Magenta / Tiger Moth Tales
    July 4th - AC/DC (not my thing but my mate has picked me up a ticket)
    July 17th-19th - Latitude Festival (I'll probably see 30 acts over the long weekend, line-up looks really interesting)
    August 14th - Big Big Train
    September 8th - King Crimson
    September 25th - David Gilmour
    September 28th - Steven Wilson
    November 21st - Touchstone / Magenta
    December 20th - Lonely Robot

Still thinking about:

June 2nd - Setzer/Thorogood

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    I have the following lined up:

As you can see, very little prog, but then this is Florida for you.
    Not a lot of prog, but a lot of great shows. Who is in Blackfoot these days? Are any of the original guys left? Also, when it comes to blues Taylor and Benoit rank right up there with me. Seen Benoit many times and he never disappoint. Taylor is great live too.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Friday - Steve Wilson
    Saturday - Cellar & Point
    August - ProgDay
    Sept - RIO
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not a lot of prog, but a lot of great shows. Who is in Blackfoot these days? Are any of the original guys left? Also, when it comes to blues Taylor and Benoit rank right up there with me. Seen Benoit many times and he never disappoint. Taylor is great live too.
    Steve the Great: Like you, I've been bored with prog so I decided to skip prog shows Just kidding.

Blackfoot: At the moment, I don't recall the band members names but the reason I want to see them is because none of them were members of the original band. Afaik, they are all new members handpicked by Rickey Medlocke, who owns the Blackfoot name and writes the songs, but they are performed by his handpicked band, which is a very interesting concept, although one that has been in practice in Latin American groups for decades but, apparently, is a novelty in rock music. I mean, these are not guys who formed a band and decided to play Blackfoot covers nor are they a band that decided to call themselves Blackfoot on their own just because there wasn't an active Blackfoot. It will be interesting to see if, eventually, Medlocke decides to give/cede ownership of the band's name to the current lineup. While people might call this a "cover" band, I don't have an issue with this concept as I see it as a continuation that was wanted by Medlocke and I'm sure they do justice to the music, which I want to see that myself.

Taylor and Benoit: I agree wholeheartedly. Taylor can shred with the best of them. Add Samantha Fish to the mix. In fact, she was fantastic and I recommend her show if it comes to your area. There's also the Betty Fox Band show at the end of this month. She's also a blues musician.

If I were to rank them, my top 5 favorite shows at the moment are:

1) Sammy Hagar & The Circle
    2) The Temperance Movement
    3) Blackberry Smoke
    4) Samantha Fish
    5) Joanne Shaw Taylor
    Last edited by Gerardo; 05-21-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post

Taylor and Benoit: I agree wholeheartedly. Taylor can shred with the best of them. Add Samantha Fish to the mix. In fact, she was fantastic and I recommend her show if it comes to your area. There's also the Betty Fox Band show at the end of this month. She's also a blues musician.

If I were to rank them, my top 5 favorite shows at the moment are:

1) Sammy Hagar & The Circle
    2) The Temperance Movement
    3) Blackberry Smoke
    4) Samantha Fish
    5) Joanne Shaw Taylor
    Interesting about Blackfoot. Now that you mention it I think have read about Medlock’s concept. I would probably check them out if they came to town.
    Regarding Samantha Fish, I am a big fan. I think she is one of the best young talents in blues today. She has an incredible voice, is a great songwriter / performer and guitar player. It is kind of ironic, but back in March she opened for Tab Benoit at our local theater……..but I was on vacation in Florida. Would have been a must see show had I been here. I have not picked up her new album yet, but plan on getting it. Also have gotten into Blackberry Smoke. Got their live album a while back and love it heard good things about The Temperance Movement, but not checked them out yet. Hagar is always good too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Rush in June, Kansas in October. Hopefully ProgDay in September. It's an Old Man tour for me.
    And Todd Rundgren in August.

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    May 28 - Steven Wilson
    June 25 - Rush
    August 3 - Steely Dan
    August 9 - Yes/Toto

Most likely will add Steve Hackett to this. Bonus is that my wife is onboard for all of these except Yes.

And the journey continues -

Just secured 4th row tix to Loretta Lynn tonight (yes i know you're all jealous as hell)
    June 10 - Unknown Immortal Orchestra
    June 11 - Matthew Sweet
    June 25 - Sloan
    July 9 - Rush in KC (this one on wish list, no tix yet)
    July 22 - Steely Dan w/Elvis Costello & The Imposters (wishlist)
    July 26 - Van Halen
    Aug 16 - The Aristrocrats
    Aug 18 - Peter Frampton
    Sept 5-6 - Progday

at least these are a little more spread out.

A couple of year back I did 8 shows in 10 days in August. It was so crazy I had to take those 2 weeks off for vacation just to accommodate the travel.

Here is my schedule right now for the remainder of the year:

Al DiMeola - June 23 New Hope PA
    Rush - June 25 Philadelphia PA
    Whitesnake - July 25 Atlantic City NJ
    Aristocrats - August 9 Philadelphia PA
    Chicago - August 15 Camden NJ
    Van Halen - August 27 Camden NJ
    J Geils Band - August 29 Atlantic City
    Zappa Plays Zappa - September 20 Atlantic City
    Rik Emmett - October 2 New Hope PA
    Winery Dogs - October 8 Glenside PA

Already this year I saw: