Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RUSH R40 Tour

RUSH R40 Tour

Kicks off May 8 in Tulsa, OK & these guys were seen yesterday.11182232_10205818059066749_5902353481943645234_n.jpg

Got my tix.

First Niagara Center, Buffalo.

Cost a small fortune, but what the hell.

Might be the last time around for The Little Band That Could.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Passing on this one.

I've seen them five times in the last 7 years and the prices have just gotten too steep.

I'm sure it will be a great show, though.

I am really hoping the do a small acoustic set. They have done it before

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Passing on this one.

I've seen them five times in the last 7 years and the prices have just gotten too steep.

I'm sure it will be a great show, though.
    Ditto. The prices were just obscene this time around, for a tour I have very little hope will present any surprises. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest...-the-last-tour

RUSH Reveals Drummer Neil Peart Has Chronic Tendonitis, Next Tour Is The Last Tour

We weren't really sure if Rush's next tour would be the last time the group would ever go out on the road when we posted about it back in March. Road manager Ray Daniels alluded to the fact that the tour could be the last, but concrete answers weren't available. Now guitarist Alex Lifeson has revealed to Global News that drummer Neal Peart has serious tendonitis and the next tour is basically the last time you'll ever get to see Rush live.

“I have mixed feelings about it. In one way I feel relief – I think 40 years is a long time to be touring the way we tour.

“I still love playing. But in Neil’s case, for example, his job is really tough. Playing the way he does is very, very difficult on his body. He has chronic tendonitis in his arms and he’s had problems with his shoulders.

“It’s getting to the point, no matter how much we love doing it, that it’s much more demanding and much more difficult.”

Rush has had a hell of a career, and good on them for making it this far… but wow. A world where Rush is just a studio thought and that's it. I wonder how long Rush can even be a studio entity with Peart in the condition he's in? It's not like Rush can get a new drummer.

Wait, there's a bright side! Lifeson also says there will occasionally be one-off shows here and there if it's possible! That and maybe even a new studio record soon-ish or some movie soundtrack work.

"Well, we’re not finished as a band. We still talk about recording.

Who knows, there may be an opportunity in the future to do not a big tour, but a series of concerts … like a week in Massey Hall or Radio City Music Hall.

Ged and I are just itching to get back into writing. He just revamped his studio, and he’s not a tech kind of studio guy. He doesn’t know how probably even one per cent of that stuff works.

But he’s had this renaissance of being a musician and wanting to play and study more — it’s really inspiring to see. When things slow down we’ll start to do some writing, for whatever purpose. We’ve always talked about doing some soundtrack work."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

... I'm not really surprised. I'm missing this tour (as I did the last couple) because it's just too much to spend. I've seen them nine times since Presto, and I no longer feel like spending hundreds of dollars one one show - for any band. But a stripped-down week-long residency at Massey Hall? If that was to come true I'd catch one of those shows for sure!

I'd be very happy with more studio albums too.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm going 4 times this tour. usually go to at least the 2 area legs (Philadelphia area usually had 2 different visits).

when they added the rotating setlist spots for the CA tour I added some trips, and even then I still missed out on The Body Electric much to my chagrin!

RUSH mean a huge deal to me (going since 1981) and I'm counting on this to be the final tour Tour; if in the future they only do special one-offs (which really isn't their style) I'll make the effort to go to Toronto, LA or wherever

I'm really going to try and stay away from spoilers the next 4 weeks before my first Tampa gig, but the one very cool bit that I've read is a cool nod to the past and bodes real well for some oddity

the fact that they are not promoting anything but 40 years and us and them also bodes well. should be fun and I cannot wait

Dare I ask, are they asking triple digit face value prices for their fans-as-human cattle stadium rock shows?

I'm guessing that "Cinderella Man" will be the oddity they pull out for this tour, and perhaps one other.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Dare I ask, are they asking triple digit face value prices for their fans-as-human cattle stadium rock shows?

they tried to book all ages warehouse shows via the underground punk and indie network but found that those places couldn't support their show. there weren't enough jazz halls in America either so, hockey arenas it is!!

---

what kind of a question is that??

I've seen the ticket range at most shows at $46 to $150

I've also participated in capitalism, commerce, work, taxes, art, sports, culture, mutual peer to peer transfers of work for hire etc

Sorry to hear about Neil's condition but I somehow knew that the end of the massive touring jaunts was near. He alluded to this a few years ago in terms of age and family commitments in one of his blogs, IIRC. I look forward to them getting into writing and releasing music more than touring. But...

My sincerest hope is that they will start making albums that sound SONICALLY equivalent to Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures/Signals. *** I AM NOT SAYING DUPLICATE OR RECREATE THE SONGWRITING (though I wouldn't mind less singer/songwriter focus and more focus on exploring interesting arrangements) ***. When I listen to those timeless albums I hear real instruments and tube amps, great mic technique, analog mixing boards, 2" analog tape, Boss CE-1 chorus pedal, basic tracks recorded by the band on the floor together, no digital ProTools or Logic sound. Start a trend in the industry. Please.

Damn, I am sooooooooooo longing for a return to all analog tape productions.

I agree with everything Timmy just said. Separation between instruments would be nice, too. And I liked the last album, too. But, man, just imagine if it sounded like Waves or Pictures!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Thanks Timmy, you're saying exactly what I've been lamenting on here and on Rush forums so many times that people are probably sick of hearing me say it.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Thanks Timmy, you're saying exactly what I've been lamenting on here and on Rush forums so many times that people are probably sick of hearing me say it.
    Well... they've had 30 years to do that, and haven't. Hell, they even re-mixed an album universally deemed to sound like crap, but still didn't change the sound much in the direction you suggest.

I like the production on Counterparts a lot (wish about half of the songs were better, though). I don't really love what they've done in that department so much since then, though. Seems like a sound that could easily be achieved again, if they had the inclination to.

UNless they have a killer set list, I will likely pass this tour. I've seen them enough and haven't thoroughly enjoyed much of what they've done for quite a while.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Sorry to hear about Neil's condition but I somehow knew that the end of the massive touring jaunts was near. He alluded to this a few years ago in terms of age and family commitments in one of his blogs, IIRC. I look forward to them getting into writing and releasing music more than touring. But...

My sincerest hope is that they will start making albums that sound SONICALLY equivalent to Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures/Signals. *** I AM NOT SAYING DUPLICATE OR RECREATE THE SONGWRITING (though I wouldn't mind less singer/songwriter focus and more focus on exploring interesting arrangements) ***. When I listen to those timeless albums I hear real instruments and tube amps, great mic technique, analog mixing boards, 2" analog tape, Boss CE-1 chorus pedal, basic tracks recorded by the band on the floor together, no digital ProTools or Logic sound. Start a trend in the industry. Please.

Damn, I am sooooooooooo longing for a return to all analog tape productions.
    Totally agree too. I cant even listen to Presto - Roll the Bones - and a few others based on how awful they sound. Some good music is in those here and there too. Presto is so thin and frail sounding that I wanna slam my head on a wall in frustration.

i'm sure the setlist will be predictable.... maybe an R40 medley, the same old songs and maybe one or 2 surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Totally agree too. I cant even listen to Presto - Roll the Bones - and a few others based on how awful they sound. Some good music is in those here and there too. Presto is so thin and frail sounding that I wanna slam my head on a wall in frustration.
    Imagine what songs like Superconductor and Available Light would sound like if they had any balls.

If this is the last tour here is 10 songs they should pull out!:
    1)Xanadu
    2)Lakeside Park
    3)Best I Can
    4)In The End
    5)La Villa Strangiato
    6)I think I'm Going Bald
    7)Passage To Bangcock
    8)Beneath,Between,Behind
    9)Finding My Way
    10)Jacob's Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post

2)Lakeside Park
    Geddy has said that they hate that song now. Too bad, because I like it.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Imagine what songs like Superconductor and Available Light would sound like if they had any balls.
    Some of the good tracks from those albums definitely have new life when played live. My only pathway for them.

Haven't seen them the last few tours, for one reason or another, but I got tix for this one and am glad that I did. It was a nice run. Hope that they can continue to do some studio work, and as others have said, figure out how to record something that actually sounds good.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post

7)Passage To Bangcock
    "Wonder if they'll play Bangkok? Nah, they never play Bangkok."
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Rush should play all the songs they hate. It would an interesting song list.

I vote Tai Shan as the opener and the encore.