Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hackett's Revisited DVD

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    there's another live recording from Royal Albert Hall but i believe that's a CD only set (3 to be exact) whereas the Hammersmith show has 3 CD's and 1 DVD plus a bonus behind the scenes DVD making a total of 5 discs.
    The RAH show is 2 CDs and one (video) DVD. There is also a deluxe version of that set which includes a Bluray. You are correct about the Hammersmith set.

Quote Originally Posted by MDC View Post
    The RAH show is 2 CDs and one (video) DVD. There is also a deluxe version of that set which includes a Bluray. You are correct about the Hammersmith set.
    well, in any case i have the Hammersmith show.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

I have both: the Hammersmith and the RAH DVD'S. IMO the RAH is superior. Nad Sylvan performance is more polished and Kershaw's interpretation of The Lamia is superb.

OK, so I checked out a bunch of the RAH show on YT and really dug it I ordered the set from Clamazon.

Music: Loved it. Thought they did a pretty stellar job, well, a few exceptions like the weird (unnecessary?) modulation before Apocalypse in 9/8. Not sure why they did that? The vocal range doesn't seem too out-of-control, and for us bastards with perfect pitch its very annoying. Oh well. I also don't like Amanda Whatshername's vocals very much - sounds shaky. Otherwise what a great, tight show!

CD sonics: Yuck. Its a bass pedal fest - just WAY WAY over the top. I'm thinking to myself - WTF did they mix this album on, and what was Hackett thinking when he listened back to this? Its just not my cuppa, unfortunately. The kick drum is so deep and thuddy too, which is ironic because the snare seems pretty weak in comparison. The entire mix is just weak and very unbalanced. On my TV set the DVD sounded really nice, balanced, musical but the audio CD is pretty terrible IMO. 5 stars music performance, 3 stars sonics/mix.

Its a missed opportunity I think, and I'm afraid I won't be visiting these CD's again anytime soon, if ever again. A remix and remaster is in order to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Which is really indicative of nothing.
    Not to BBT

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    OK, so I checked out a bunch of the RAH show on YT and really dug it I ordered the set from Clamazon.

Music: Loved it. Thought they did a pretty stellar job, well, a few exceptions like the weird (unnecessary?) modulation before Apocalypse in 9/8. Not sure why they did that? The vocal range doesn't seem too out-of-control, and for us bastards with perfect pitch its very annoying. Oh well. I also don't like Amanda Whatshername's vocals very much - sounds shaky. Otherwise what a great, tight show!
    to my ears.
    I agree on that. Genesis themselves did the same thing on Home By The Sea in later concerts, whilst leaving the second part in the original key...it sounded just as awkward.

Although the band always tuned down (and slowed down) the 'As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs' climax in concerts as it is...I always found it an improvement over the original.

The show I saw around 3 years ago was magnificent. I remember three standing ovations, there was such a lot of love out there for this material that had been left unplayed by the others for so long.

Can I stick up for Gary O'Toole by saying that on the Hackett classic "Every Day" (which I'm sure is NOT part of these shows), his drumming kicked the energy up to ecstatic heights for me, specifically his syncopated kick drum on the main theme. Sorry for the interruption!