Thread: HD Over The Air (OTA) Info Needed

HD Over The Air (OTA) Info Needed

I've 'cut the cord,' meaning I've ditched DirecTV. I now receive local broadcast channels via an HD OTA antenna. It's working well, in my rural area - I get 25 local St. Louis MO., (USA) HD channels. Has anyone else done this, & what are you using to replace the Sat./Cable stations? I have a ChannelMaster DVR+ for the local channels, & am using Chromecast to 'cast' Internet streams. I use Netflix, Amazon Prime, & Crackle, but I'm sure there are other 'free' options I'm not aware of. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that can suggest other options that I should try, & would like to hear about your similar experience. Thanks!
    Ignorance and prejudice
    And fear walk hand in hand...

Have you tried checking out forums dedicated to that subject for information?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I have, somewhat, but thought I could gain some good, if not better, info from the tech folks here. If I'm out of line, I apologize, & you may delete my post.
    Ignorance and prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by MmusicM View Post
    I have, somewhat, but thought I could gain some good, if not better, info from the tech folks here. If I'm out of line, I apologize, & you may delete my post.
    Nah, don't worry about it.

Just keep in mind, you're asking a bunch of guys that can't even get over vinyl.

Anyway, there will be more comprehensive steaming packages in the future that will bunch up certain traditional cable channels.

http://www.theverge.com/a/online-tv-stream-price-guide
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Ha! Thanks, Poisoned Youth!

"Just keep in mind, you're asking a bunch of guys that can't even get over vinyl."

That's a boon!! And that's why I wanted to post this subject here!! It's the "old school" mentality I'm looking for!

Thanks for the link! My journey has begun!
    Ignorance and prejudice

I'm surprised how few people I know seem to utilize OTA in addition to cable or DirecTV

Where I live, D only provides the Baltimore stations, I need a roof antenna to get DC as well

Some great retro shows on the OTA sub channels, (Bewitched, Superman, Mr Ed, Green Acres, etc), which I typically record and watch when nothing else new is on

I need DirecTV for the sports, but if I wasn't such a big sports fan I could see going OTA only - the signal is as good if not better than satellite

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just read something about the XboxOne being a good HD OTA device.

I ditched Time Warner Cable about a year ago and haven't looked back.

I picked up an RCA OTA HD antenna from Amazon for about $20 and a Roku for $70. I get about 16 channels locally, all in HD, better picture than the cable reception ever gave me. I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime. For sports I use the "Watch ESPN App" and use my cousin's password, or visit ILEMI and watch online while streaming to the Roku. And I can always visit network websites or KATorrents to watch TV episodes I may have missed.

My cable bill used to be $135 a month. Now I only pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime, which average out to around $16 total, and my internet which is $40. So that's $56 a month vs. $135 and I watch what I want, when I want.

Yes I'm cheap I know. But That $80 savings a month adds up.

Is there a way of knowing in advance how many channels you would get if you get an HD antenna from Amazon or a Best Buy for "local" channels? The reason I ask is that I live in northern New England and most of the regular network stations come out of Boston. As far as I know, we have only have one "major" station in NH that is for ABC, but stuff like NBC, CBS and FOX all come up from Boston. Would I still get those channels if I cut the cable and got an antenna? I could actually live without most TV stations nearly year round but I'd be lost without being able to watch football come September.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Is there a way of knowing in advance how many channels you would get if you get an HD antenna from Amazon or a Best Buy for "local" channels? The reason I ask is that I live in northern New England and most of the regular network stations come out of Boston. As far as I know, we have only have one "major" station in NH that is for ABC, but stuff like NBC, CBS and FOX all come up from Boston. Would I still get those channels if I cut the cable and got an antenna? I could actually live without most TV stations nearly year round but I'd be lost without being able to watch football come September.
    No way to be 100% till you are hooked up but this site should give you an idea of what is possible

http://tvfool.com/

I'm assuming you are willing to go with a roof antenna?

I happen to live on a hill, so even with a fairly small, (and inexpensive) roof antenna I'm getting about 30 channels between Baltimore and DC

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

http://www.antennaweb.org/

That site above will determine your OTA channel reception and antenna recommendations by location/zip code.

We got a Flatwave 5500 indoor antenna - and receive 26 channels OTA (over 1/2 in HD). Dropped the cable TV portion of our Time Warner service - and upgraded our broadband portion of the existing service. Hulu and Netflix are delivered via the XBox One - along with several other (included) streaming news/sports offerings.

It works for us - - -