Thread: Stewart Copeland - Orchestralli

Stewart Copeland - Orchestralli

I've been looking for the DVD of Stewart Copeland's Italian concert with a stripped-down orchestra + Ensemble Bash, the 4-man percussion ensemble. I remember reading about it when it first came out in 2004, but I never was able to find it.

Finally last week I saw the CD of this performance for sale, and ordered it as a best second choice. Imagine my surprise when I opened the package to find the CD and DVD are both part of the package!

Anyway, Copeland is pretty impressive in this presentation, never knew he was such a powerhouse drummer. He's behind a HUGE kit which he explains is necessary to compete with the orchestra!

The orchestra is not overly rehearsed -- could have been tighter -- but Copeland's polyrhythmic multi-timbal pieces wouldn't be easy to sight read. Bash are impressive as always, on their marimbas and xylophones. Together everyone sounds quite a bit like Waka-era Zappa.

Interspersed with the concert footage is an interview with Stu where he deprecates everything he's done in his career, and admonishes any aspiring drummers to not listen to him for inspiration. It's refreshingly non-rock star behavior.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 04-28-2015 at 06:31 PM.

I bought this CD/DVD set when it was a new release. I remember really liking it, but I have not listened/watched it in years. You shouldn't be surprised that I own it. Everyone on this message board knows that I am a Sting/Police completest!!

Library Jon

I like Copeland's solo work -- The Equaliser, The Rhythmatist -- better than anything of The Police's. His composing reminds me of another fabulous percussionist with very sophisticated output, David Van Tieghem.

You are not the first person I know that doesn't like The Police, but likes band members solo material. I thought that Andy Summers' new band called "Circa Zero" is wonderful. Try You Tube.

Library Jon

I don't DISLIKE the Police (mostly...) but I think they're a band where the players were intentionally lowering themselves to playing "pop music."

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I don't DISLIKE the Police (mostly...) but I think they're a band where the players were intentionally lowering themselves to playing "pop music."
    They're three guys with progressive rock and jazz-fusion backgrounds, so it's perfectly acceptable to think they shifted to accessibility for fun and profit. Still damned good tunes, though. IMO, the real "pop crap" is the kind of stuff Eddie Money and Rick Springfield spat out.

I've been looking for the DVD of Stewart Copeland's Italian concert with a stripped-down orchestra + Ensemble Bash, the 4-man percussion ensemble. I remember reading about it when it first came out in 2004, but I never was able to find it.

Finally last week I saw the CD of this performance for sale, and ordered it as a best second choice. Imagine my surprise when I opened the package to find the CD and DVD are both part of the package!

Anyway, Copeland is pretty impressive in this presentation, never knew he was such a powerhouse drummer. He's behind a HUGE kit which he explains is necessary to compete with the orchestra!

The orchestra is not overly rehearsed -- could have been tighter -- but Copeland's polyrhythmic multi-timbal pieces wouldn't be easy to sight read. Bash are impressive as always, on their marimbas and xylophones. Together everyone sounds quite a bit like Waka-era Zappa.

Interspersed with the concert footage is an interview with Stu where he deprecates everything he's done in his career, and admonishes any aspiring drummers to not listen to him for inspiration. It's refreshingly non-rock star behavior.
    So what is the name of the CD and where did you get it

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    So what is the name of the CD and where did you get it
    Ummm, "Orchestralli" (as noted in the thread title) and Amazon.

Ummm, "Orchestralli" (as noted in the thread title) and Amazon.
    I was hoping you were talking about something new, mainly because I don't remember a DVD being included with the one I own. I absolutely love this release and have always hoped he would put out more of the same kind of stuff.

Soundtrack work pays better.